Nugget Shooter Forums
Grungiegrunion

Help identifying this blue volcanic rock

Just an FYI, I removed the link you posted

Grungie, I'm going to give you one chance to post a photo of the "blue rock" you're referring too instead of posting a link you shouldn't be posting unless you're a Spammer, if you fail to post the photo soon or post another link you will banned!!.

I'm sitting here waiting on a hurricane with nothing better to do and feeling charitable, your move!

Search: blue volcanic rock ...and Pectolite/Larimar come up.

I am guessing that the link posted had something to do with  a personal sale site..

7 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Search: blue volcanic rock ...and Pectolite/Larimar come up.

I am guessing that the link posted had something to do with  a personal sale site..

It was a business website and not related to a blue rock, other than the link was 2 words...Blue Rock.

Sorry before I was a member I could only post a link so I uploaded the photo and shared the link. Definitely not a spammer just want to know what kind of rock I’ve got. 

D4675CBC-D905-400B-9A6D-47006E49F19A.jpeg

Edited by Grungiegrunion
  • Like 1

You think it is volcanic why?Can you scratch it easy with  a pin or knife? Where found?

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

12 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Where found?

?canyon and creek... How about  country, state. county and local  geographic landmarks.

Consulting geologic maps of the area can help to narrow down things.

32 minutes ago, Grungiegrunion said:

Sorry before I was a member I could only post a link so I uploaded the photo and shared the link. Definitely not a spammer just want to know what kind of rock I’ve got. 

All's good Grungie, Welcome to the forum, but the link you posted didn't go to a photo hosting website I have ever seen if it was such a site, at the very least it didn't go to a page showing your photo, I almost flagged/banned you as a Spammer but your post didn't strike me as you being a Spammer so I gave you the benefit of the doubt to see if you would come back and post a photo, we're very strict about links if they're not obviously related to what's posted, and even then many members will not click on any links posted unless they know the poster very well.

Give it a little time and someone will likely give you a good idea of what you have there.

• Like 1

Looks like chalcedony, a form of quartz and some people do use it in jewelry. Nice find you got there.

1 hour ago, Grungiegrunion said:

Happy hunting!

ht

• Like 1

Looks like a giant cryptocrystalline or chalcedony quartz nodule to me, with portions of the matrix still attached.

Jim

• Like 1

Looks like there might be some sweetness hiding inside of there! Great find! I love the bubbly!

Sure looks like an agate or chalcedony nodule to me. Very common stuff in the area. 

You might get some good banding if it’s big enough to cut. If it’s small, tumbling would give it a great polish. 

• Like 1

That’s a good sized one! It oughta make some nice cabochons if that’s your thing. 

By the way, the matrix is most likely to be a rhyolite, which is most definitely igneous. 

Chalcedony, there's tons of it in central AZ