Nugget Shooter Forums
Wyoming Digger

Nugget Shooter Bill Question?

After exhaustive research , which was fun for two winters and then multiple (7/trips no gold) 280 miles away one way . I have come across the mother zone producing these nuggets.To get down to brass tacks,I see you always use the 5" coil with the GM 1000 on shallow ground which is what I used to find these nuggies , And I have learned to use the GM on the full manual 10 setting most often when hunting which is a finesse in itself. now down to the real question? if I use the bigger coil will I get more depth? because where I am hunting is old (1920's dryland wash plant tailings coarse and fines mixed in their piles together in their 120 year old conditions? ) Could I get more detection depth with the larger coil? because I have cleaned most of what I can so far with the 5" looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Wyo nuggs.JPG

• Like 5

Neat area! I was there years ago. Have friends in Lander. I did find some nice gold. Nothing large, but I didn't throw it back.

Larger coils will go deeper, but they lose sensitivity to the smallest pieces. Smaller coil finds the smaller bits, but don't go as deep.

• Like 3

No one has tried the large coil. I believe it will serve you well in the area you are hunting 

• Like 2

Wyoming Digger ... GENERALLY speaking using a larger coil will give more depth but have somewhat less sensitivity to smaller gold at that increased depth and be more prone to false signals from hot rocks. Careful and correct ground balancing technique is key to the Gold Monster. However that being said ... If you suspect larger gold at depth than by all means use the larger coil. Don't be afraid to experiment with the GM1000. 

• Like 4

Hey Wyoming Digger, Way to go, and nice gold indeed! I just got back from hunting that area East of the Quarry across highway 28, North,  (almost) to Beaver Creek, all the way out to the Tin Cup district and South to Oregon Buttes. The guy I was hunting with had tried the large GM coil on some of the tailing piles and seemed to be happy with it as he was getting good results. The biggest nugget was a 1/2 oz gold/gray quartz chunk at 8" from the top of a drag-line overburden pile. That's not a real test for a 10" coil I know, but with the pile being riddled with .22 brass, it was better  than I was able to do with a GPX 5000 and 14" coil. He did comment that he liked the depth he got with it but found more gold with the smaller coil (naturally) We were hunting on and off of claims, BLM, and private property (with permission, of course) Wy Prospector's Association has a few claims in some pretty good areas for detecting; Miner's Delight, Strawberry Creek, Big Atlantic etc. As I'm sure you're aware, hardly anyone detects up there. It's all about water recovery. If you want any details on the club claims or anything, shoot me a PM.

Cheers! Mac. 

• Like 4

I use the larger coil only when seeking more ground coverage and you will get a little better depth on chunky stuff, but the 5 inch is a bedrock beast. Normally when I am hunting deeper ground for the chunkier nuggets I use a PI detector. The SDC 2300 will hear small nuggets at amazing depth. For shallow ground and bedrock that 5 inch coil is your best bet. Vlf detector do not get the depth advantage a PI does when changing out coils as a rule.

• Like 4

Thanks BMc for the reply, I am a club member of the WPA , all I know is there is chunky yella metal to be found , and probably a good chance to find some  yella  where I'm pokin around. like you said most think they need water to make it happen. All I know is I feel awful good when I'm in the zone and a lookin. I do appreciate your comment. thanks Brother. 

20190914_120031.jpg

• Like 2