Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

Floating raft of rocks in the ocean.

I thought this was cool.

We wonder how rocks get from where they started to where we found them all the time. Rocks get around man!

These rocks are on the move to Australia.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/25/754190347/giant-pumice-raft-floating-towards-australia-could-help-replenish-great-barrier-

Here is a collectable rock. A brand new rock that has never even touched the ground yet. How many of you have one of those in your collection?

• Like 3

Once upon a time you could pick up floating pumice at Mono Lake , California...

pretty cool to see a rock float!

fred

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

Once upon a time you could pick up floating pumice at Mono Lake , California...

pretty cool to see a rock float!

fred

There used to be a little mountain of pumice and cinders just south of Las Cruces. It is almost gone now. They mined the whole peak almost level with the ground to use for roof minerals and traction on icy roads. They use it in a lot of masonry block too. It is super light and most of the material will float. They mix it with potassium salt from the potash mines and spread it on the icy roads. If it kicks up and hits the windshield there is not enough weight to chip the glass. 

You have to wonder how much pumice has floated across the ocean. There are lots of volcanos under the ocean spitting out all sorts of stuff. Large volumes of floating pumice should not really be all that rare.

There must be beaches where it has built up. I suppose the waves probably beat it into sand pretty quickly and it disappears?

Having a rock that has never touched the ground would be pretty cool. I figure the only other rocks like that would be the stuff brought back from the moon. Maybe if you got close to an eruption and caught some of the ejecta in a baseball mitt. Or caught a meteorite in a baseball mitt. I just can't think of another example of a rock that has never touched the ground. 

Yes, I would love to catch a meteorite...not so much volcanic ejecta...

fred 

15 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Maybe if you got close to an eruption and caught some of the ejecta in a baseball mitt. Or caught a meteorite in a baseball mitt. I just can't think of another example of a rock that has never touched the ground. 

Who would want to catch a meteorite with a baseball mitt...as hot as they get in the last few seconds before hitting the ground it would burn it's way right through the mitt and your hand!!! :aw-shucks:

On the other hand I guess if the mitt was made from highly fireproof material you would prevent another major fire like the Great Chicago Fire and you would be a HERO!! :yesss:

2 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Who would want to catch a meteorite with a baseball mitt...

I would, think how cool of a story thatd be to tell your kids, dad what happened to your arm? Ohhh yea I caught a meteorite with it.