Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dantuttledt

What should I do with it?

Nearly a century ago, my great grandfather and his friend witnessed a bowling ball sized meteor come down to the earth, striking the ground near a church here in Naples, Florida. The object belongs to the two of our families, and for the last couple decades has been sitting in the friends relatives closet. This man is now 90 years old, he is blind and cannot walk. He was moved to a retirement home in another city and his house is likely to be sold soon. I seem to be the only one who is interested in it and I know that soon his possessions will be cleaned out of the house and the bowling ball sized meteorites fate will have to be decided. So, what the hell do we do with this thing?

53 minutes ago, Dantuttledt said:

Nearly a century ago, my great grandfather and his friend witnessed a bowling ball sized meteor come down to the earth, striking the ground near a church here in Naples, Florida. The object belongs to the two of our families, and for the last couple decades has been sitting in the friends relatives closet. This man is now 90 years old, he is blind and cannot walk. He was moved to a retirement home in another city and his house is likely to be sold soon. I seem to be the only one who is interested in it and I know that soon his possessions will be cleaned out of the house and the bowling ball sized meteorites fate will have to be decided. So, what the hell do we do with this thing?

Take a photo of it and post it here. We have some guys that can offer assistance.

Posted (edited)

The meteorite I have was obtained in a similar set of circumstances.  If left with my brother in law, I believe it could easily have disappeared if he were to pass away.   If there is a chance that your "rock" is a meteorite, you could review my post "New member excited to jump in" and see what steps I took to get to where I am today.  I can tell you from my experience, there is a good chance the process of authenticating and possibly having it accepted by The Meteorological Society will take quite a bit of time and will cost you some personal time and $1,000 or less for the testing.  But, all of that can be both fascinating and rewarding and very well worth the effort!   Oh, by the way, don't be tempted to accept and offer that may prove to be very less than the true value to be!!  Good luck and anxious to see the photos. 

Edited by steelguy
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, Dantuttledt said:

I'm a little skeptical of this story. How many times have we read about some person actually seeing a meteorite hit the ground and recovering it?

That's why I requested some photos just to see if in fact it is a meteorite. While I'm not an expert, I'm sure there are some guys who are and could put the issue to rest.

• Like 3