Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garikfox

Bigger coil, more energy?

I was wondering why I haven't seen this question anywhere. Does a bigger coil use more power?

I run a 15 inch EVO mono and will swap to my 8 inch commander and i dont notice a difference in my battery life. And thats going from sun up to sun down or sun down to sun up.

• Like 1

Okay great, so there isn't a difference. I was thinking bigger coil making a bigger field so thus draining the battery faster.

Mono coils have nearly the same length of wire in them, big or small.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, garikfox said:

Okay great, so there isn't a difference. I was thinking bigger coil making a bigger field so thus draining the battery faster.

Thats just my observation from what i do. Bill or the others that have been doing it longer might have a different outlook though, so dont take just my word on it. I run the 5000 but i dont remember if it had a different affect on my GP Extreme or not. It makes sense that a bigger coil would require more juice but im not sure. Good question. 

Takes more of your!_____ energy to run a big coil, hard to swing for me, Grubstake_____

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments guys :) 

If I am not mistaken Sharp timing takes more energy to run than the rest of the timings.

• Like 1

All this just seems so complicated.. I carry an extra battery that I never use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone use the 1/2 size GPX battery?

Is it really only 3hrs?

Personally, I have only carried the small one for a days outing. Never went dead on me. I kept the larger one in reserve. In the olden days, I carried the larger battery which lasted all day as well. But I usually turned the detector off if I was digging for awhile, so I don't know how that would affect how long it lasts.

You might try turning your detector on, then came back in 3 hrs to see for yourself.

• Like 1

As far as coil size goes...

I have always been under the impression that the transmitter put out the same amount of energy regardless of the coil. The coil just shaped the signal differently. So the battery usage depends on the transmitter and not the coil. That is the way I understood it but I might be wrong.

As far as overall battery usage goes...

I have always thought that the amplifier and making the sounds use as much energy as the transmitter. A loose connection that makes all sorts of racket seems to shorten battery life. A big pair of headphones seem to use more juice than a pair of earbuds. Sometimes I turn the amp and the volume way up and wear the headphones around my neck and that seems to shorten battery life. In my experience the more noise and the more volume the quicker the battery goes down. But again that is just a hunch and not something I have actually compared.

I don't know a thing about it technically, but this has been my observation in the field. 

I use a little Sony Li camera battery on my old PI and it lasts many hours when it is new. At least 8 full hours of hard detecting. Probably more. I generally have to change it on the second day. How that compares to the new machines I have no idea. Mine is an old SD2100. 

I know the Li batteries get old and hold a charge less as time goes by. And sometimes my charger seems to quit before the battery is fully charged when I use the 12v power cord. So there are a lot of variables. Still I think that the amount of noise and beeps the machine makes has more to do with power consumption than the coil size. 

• Like 1