Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azdigger

Thompson Contender

Well I got a Thompson Contender (one of my long time I wants). has a .223 14" barrel. 

so far it shoots real well with open sights but am getting ready to add scope.

At this point I think I will just use the barrel that came on it and then go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azdigger said:

Well I got a Thompson Contender (one of my long time I wants). has a .223 14" barrel. 

so far it shoots real well with open sights but am getting ready to add scope.

At this point I think I will just use the barrel that came on it and then go from there.

Awesome!

Those are really sweet weapons. And the barrels are super high quality stuff. The .223 is the perfect round for one.

I have an Encore and love it. I shoot the .209 X .50 barrel on it. I have always wanted a .223 barrel with a slow twist to shoot those little 45 grain bullets at squirrels.

Match the bullet to the twist of the barrel and it will shoot sweet. There are a wide range of bullets and a wide range of twists for .223. Get the right combination and it will drive tacks!

• Thanks 1

my barrel is a 14" .223 with a 1-12 twist.....looking at info seems others like a 40gr bullet.  Good thing I am set up to reload for .223

• Like 1

That twist is perfect for the little bullets. Just stay away from rounds loaded for the 5.56 NATO and the thing will shoot like a dream. I use 5.56 cases but reduce the powder charge considerably to get the proper velocity and pressure. It will save a full grain or so of powder on each shot if you use the smaller 5.56 military cases.

A Hornady or PMC case is super small internally and will boost pressure just like a 5.56 case. There are so many case variations with the .223 and 5.56 that it takes some weighing and experimentation to get it right. A Winchester .223 case is a larger, standard capacity like a .223 so the loading data works fine. But lots of manufacturers nowdays are going to super small internal capacities (on may calibers) to save powder and boost velocity. You will find with the .223 that your loading data is specific to the brass you  are reloading and some types of brass will be WAY too hot even with minimum loads.

For example you cant use .223 data with Hornandy brass. But it works just fine in Winchester brass. Lots of guys are finding this out with many large rifle cases. You can really have problems assuming your reloading data will work with mixed cases. Especially the new brass that has been produced in the last five years or so. 

The moral of the story is that on the outisde the cases are all exactly the same dimensions. Inside they are vastly different capacities. So be really careful and make sure your loading data is for that specific brand of case. Either that or start really light and play close attention to pressure. Lots of guys make this mistake when reloading for .223 thinking that the data is the same for 5.56 and it is not. 

Just my two cents. Have a bunch of fun shooting it!

• Thanks 1