Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
garikfox

The Treasure Probe

Recommended Posts

Anyone remember the old Popular Science ads?

I thought this was a good classic to share. Even though this ad pre-dates me by 6yrs, it puts a smile to my face :)

 

probe.jpg

Capture.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember ads similar to those. They've come a long way technology wise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember! 

We used to subscribe to Popular Science, Popular Mechanics and Boys Life magazines. You read the articles once, maybe twice. Then you spent hours scanning the four or five pages at the back. It was a collage of different blocks of font and little black and white graphics. Kinda based on an old Sears and Roebuck catalog.

Plans and kits for submarines, air boats, and hovercraft. Remington rifles, radio kits and garden seed businesses. Hypnosis, mind control, and x-ray glasses to see through girl's clothes.

And metal locators. "Transistorized"! That meant they did not have big glowing vacuum tubes that got hot and smelled funny like the push button AM radio in your car. They were just those tiny transistor radios with a nine volt battery we used to carry. About half the size of a pack of cigarettes. They would let out an eerie electronic squeal if the crappy wire hoop got near a large metal object though. It was like some sort of black magic.

A buddy of mine and his dad built a metal detector from an old military radio and a copper coil that worked pretty good. It was for a school science project. He could find coins in the schoolyard with it. They started with one of those radio kits in the back of Popular Science or Popular Mechanics. The first metal target I ever dug was located with that detector. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's really cool!

I remember when i was a kid in 80's i tried to make a hovercraft with a vacuum motor. It didn't work. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember those ads as well and I used to day dream about some like the metal detector and I save my pennies and bought a couple of the lower priced items, Bob named most but the ones I did buy he didn't list, I bought some Sea Monkeys and a ant farm, the ant farm didn't go over so well after my brother broke it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I do remember! 

We used to subscribe to Popular Science, Popular Mechanics and Boys Life magazines. You read the articles once, maybe twice. Then you spent hours scanning the four or five pages at the back. It was a collage of different blocks of font and little black and white graphics. Kinda based on an old Sears and Roebuck catalog.

Plans and kits for submarines, air boats, and hovercraft. Remington rifles, radio kits and garden seed businesses. Hypnosis, mind control, and x-ray glasses to see through girl's clothes.

 

 

And don't forget the (very dangerous) fireworks kits. I had plenty of experience with those. How in the world they could be sold to a young kids is beyond me but I made it out of my teens alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

And don't forget the (very dangerous) fireworks kits. I had plenty of experience with those. How in the world they could be sold to a young kids is beyond me but I made it out of my teens alive.

I didn't do the fireworks but I did do model rockets! Those suckers from the Estes model rocket place were expensive and got lost or blown up quickly. We started making our own out of cardboard and glue. When we could not afford rocket motors we would use a Co2 cartridge packed tight with match heads. 

BOOM. Repeatedly. But we figured out how to make a really sweet missile that would go a long way. Only a few minor burns and moderate hearing loss. Managed to keep property damage down to a manageable level too. Only a few brush fires and blistered paint on old man Martinez's shed.

What other neat stuff was in the back of those magazines? I remember a periscope kit with a couple of mirrors. And Sea Monkeys. And those growing "rocks". There was trick dice and magic cards too. And all sorts of glow in the dark plastic crap that probably has enough radium in it to fry your chromosomes. 

I remember that guy on the Remington ad in Boys Life. He was sitting on a pile of little wood blocks he shot with that 'Nylon 22". It had a hollow plastic stock and was a real abomination, But every teenage boy in America was mowing yards to buy one because it was in those funky ads in the back of the magazines. 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

The mini spy cameras  and laser guns always seemed to get my motor running.

Bingo! Mini spy camera. Excellent job man! :ya:

Every kid had one. More popular than fart gas, rubber dog turds or fake vomit. Had that tiny roll of film that you had to develop at the photo lab in the back of Woolworths. Or in a little photo shack in the grocery store parking lot. Man I can almost taste that acid they used to develop those old photos. What a memory!

I had completely forgot about the mini spy camera. That ad was in the back of every magazine and probably made someone a million bucks back when a million bucks was worth a million bucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered some smoke bombs once. nothing like the picture lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who didn't want to look like 'Charles Atlas?  He was just a little skinny kid that the girls all ignored, but when that big brute kicked sand in his face he bought a 'Dynamic Tension' kit and changed his life forever.  He kicked hat tough guys butt and lived happily ever after with all those good looking girls.     :th: 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I didn't do the fireworks but I did do model rockets! Those suckers from the Estes model rocket place were expensive and got lost or blown up quickly. We started making our own out of cardboard and glue. When we could not afford rocket motors we would use a Co2 cartridge packed tight with match heads. 

BOOM. Repeatedly. But we figured out how to make a really sweet missile that would go a long way. Only a few minor burns and moderate hearing loss. Managed to keep property damage down to a manageable level too. Only a few brush fires and blistered paint on old man Martinez's shed.

 

.

Were you one of the original "rocket boys" as depicted in the movie " October Sky"?  (which happens to be one of my favorite movies) You certainly sound like it. No...I never did the Estes rockets for some reason. Maybe it because their really wasn't anyplace nearby I could set them off without landing on someones roof or in a tree. You sound almost as dangerous as me with the production of your own engines.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a blast doing my own thing.

Edited by Morlock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Morlock said:

Were you one of the original "rocket boys" as depicted in the movie " October Sky"?  (which happens to be one of my favorite movies) You certainly sound like it. No...I never did the Estes rockets for some reason. Maybe it because their really wasn't anyplace nearby I could set them off without landing on someones roof or in a tree. You sound almost as dangerous as me with the production of your own engines.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a blast doing my own thing.

Never saw the movie.

Growing up was a hazardous test area for me that is for sure. Other kids wanted to be a cowboy or a fireman. I wanted to be a mad scientist. You know, evil but with feelings too. 

The crew I ran with "played war" a lot. Our idea of a good time was a dirt clod fight or a BB gun war and we worked hard on weapons proliferation. Most of us had family working on the nuclear bomb, on White Sands Missile Range or on the Apollo Project.

We didn't have much supervision but we had good access to knowledge and technology.  So we launched stuff at our enemy. Mostly green cotton bowls, rocks, and old lead projectiles we dug out of the berm at the shooting spot. We would use gunpowder, acetylene, and Nike Ajax as propellant.

There was always a lot of open spaces and very few people. We could basically do whatever we dreamed up. Just like our fathers did out on the White Sands Missile Range. There was always a pile of old military gear or old farm equipment to use as raw materials. We always had some project going in some old abandoned building that would get an adult thrown in prison for 40 years today.  Back then we were just trying to be adults. And those are the things that we saw adults doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Who didn't want to look like 'Charles Atlas?  He was just a little skinny kid that the girls all ignored, but when that big brute kicked sand in his face he bought a 'Dynamic Tension' kit and changed his life forever.  He kicked hat tough guys butt and lived happily ever after with all those good looking girls.     :th: 

Yup. The Charles Atlas exercise machine. Those things were popular for twenty years. :goodpost:

My dad had one! Four long coil springs on a couple of wooden handles. It would pinch up the skin and pull big wads of hair out of your head if you weren't careful. We used to hold my little cousin down and wrap him in those things. It would leave little purple welts all over him.

Jack LaLane used to endorse them on his black and white TV show. He wore those tight blue polyester pants and worked out for the housewives while dad was at work. He would put one foot on a handle and one in his hand and do curls. Then stretch them across his back. Then dinner would get burned. 

I bet they sold about a billion of those. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I found an actual picture of the treasure probe. :) 

 

FxNA.jpg

Edited by garikfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...