Nugget Shooter Forums
mariposagoldbag

The 2 Smallest Pieces of Gold I’ve Ever Found With A Detector

5 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

I've recovered bits that match the original bits shown at the top of this thread,

with the 5000 and with the 7000 I now own.

It is always a study in patience to be able to recover them.

I use a scoop.

I simply must find a better area haha.

I'm going to have to see if my GPX5000 can actually see these, interesting!

This is all the gold I've found with the Monster so far this season.  The piece in the Presidents ear is very thin but does set off the GM, and it would not register on my digital scale nor my reloading scale.  The reloading scale is an older 5-10 model, supposedly accurate to 1/10th of a grain.

2019 Gold Monster gold.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 2

Great! You won the contest before it even got started! Assuming that there aren't a bunch of other zero weight entries. Then I suppose there will be a run off . . . and another, and another . . .  :)

• Haha 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, BMc said:

Great! You won the contest before it even got started! Assuming that there aren't a bunch of other zero weight entries. Then I suppose there will be a run off . . . and another, and another . . .  :)

Just to clarify for you Mac...

The assumption is that ALL pieces will be zero weight. The winner or winners will be selected at the end of the contest by the people who participate. If we can not accurately weigh the pieces we can do it by measurement or simply by sight. If it is not possible to choose a single definitive winner then there will be multiple winners.

If you want to participate in the contest or help us decide how it will work all you need to do is go out and find a little piece of gold! :)

On 8/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

I have tried to train myself to SWITCH DETECTORS as soon as I start wasting my time with little targets.

I have tried to switch detecting areas as soon as I start wasting my time with little targets. But the area in So. Cal. where I live (LA), doesn't have that many within day-trip range. Ah well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlakMagnet said:

I have tried to switch detecting areas as soon as I start wasting my time with little targets. But the area in So. Cal. where I live (LA), doesn't have that many within day-trip range. Ah well...

Oh boo freaking hooo!

"All I have is access to big gold"

"I live in L.A., flakes of cocaine are bigger than the gold you guys are finding. And worth more."

"Its too far to drive and the weather is so hot on the other side of those mountains"

:D

….Just kidding bro. You know I love you man. I'm just having fun.

• Haha 3

I do it a little backwards, I start with the PI.  After X number of holes though I'm wanting some reward for all the digging so I get the VLF out!  This is how many it took yesterday before I got the GM out:

PI Finds.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Here is my spin on it. Just my personal opinion and then I am not going to post again about it.

Guys with sunburned necks and split figertips that can find these tiny flecks want to see what their kindred spirits can do with a detector. 

I don't think they need anyone to announce they won't be participating. Or offer advice on how the contest will proceed. They want to see tiny gold that others have detected this season. Real live prospector stuff from guys who are active in the hobby.

Or obsession. Or chemical imbalance. Whatever.

I will be headed out in a week or ten days with the GB2 to find some tiny stuff. I have not been out detecting in a year and I have been out of practice for five years. But I will do my best to make a real contribution as a competitor.

I have offered suggestions on how I think the contest should be structured and I am assuming there is agreement enough to proceed. I have offered to put up a prize in gold equal to the total weight of all entries. We already have a couple small nuggets posted and guys who are willing to participate. So let's start a thread in the "CONTESTS" forum.

I would welcome it if one of you guys started the contest using one of your nuggets as the first entry. Post the basic rules as you think they should be. Feel free to cut and paste and add to anything I have posted. I will get involved again as a competitor when I have a tiny nugget to post. Otherwise the contest belongs to the guys who are finding the gold and posting it. Until I can qualify as a competitor I am not going to get involved.

I would be happy to discuss it by P.M. if someone is interested in officially starting it up and wants my input. Otherwise we would have much less interference and you guys would get the respect you deserve if someone else took control of it.

Bedrock Bob

• wow 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

"I live in L.A., flakes of cocaine are bigger than the gold you guys are finding. And worth more."

"Its too far to drive and the weather is so hot on the other side of those mountains"

The El Paso's are a 288 mile round trip about 2.5 hours each way. Even for driving fools that's a good jaunt for some flake detecting. The weather has been 'way over 100 almost every day. So yeah, it's a decision that can't be taken lightly.

I'll let you be the expert on the cocaine part Bobby, I finished with all that in the 60's. 

And, yes I do know you love me...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, FlakMagnet said:

The El Paso's are a 288 mile round trip about 2.5 hours each way. Even for driving fools that's a good jaunt for some flake detecting. The weather has been 'way over 100 almost every day. So yeah, it's a decision that can't be taken lightly.

I'll let you be the expert on the cocaine part Bobby, I finished with all that in the 60's. 

And, yes I do know you love me...

I hear you man. I have to drive 40 miles and it is too far for me. I go within a mile of excellent placer ground every time I go kayaking or fishing. I just don't have the fever like I used to. 

It is the hot as heck here too. The miserability factor has been high. I have been sticking pretty close to the house as well. I only venture out at night these days.

This is going to be over soon though. A few more weeks and it will be cooling down. They are already roasting chile. Summer is almost behind us again.

13 hours ago, BMc said:

Some get it. Some don't. :)

The scary thing about the gold monster is a lot of time the gold that you blow tube will actually be bigger than what the monster gets.  It gets gold small enough that you will seriously wonder if it was worth the time digging it.  But I do love it for the bedrock digging.  It is a good cleanup machine after the GPZ has got the single grain pieces.

But sometimes I'd rather tell the family I got the skunk than show them pin head size piece of gold. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Just to clarify for you Mac...

The assumption is that ALL pieces will be zero weight. The winner or winners will be selected at the end of the contest by the people who participate. If we can not accurately weigh the pieces we can do it by measurement or simply by sight. If it is not possible to choose a single definitive winner then there will be multiple winners.

If you want to participate in the contest or help us decide how it will work all you need to do is go out and find a little piece of gold! :)

The assumption is that ALL pieces will be zero weight. The winner or winners will be selected at the end of the contest by the people who participate.

HUH? OK, Well, that's Fabulous and thanks for the invite! I'm all for going out there and finding . . . but I would kindly refer you back to Fred's post regarding the drama (and the pretentious self pity, woe-is me, victim-hood, self flagellation; self pity etc.), that you continually dredge into your posts, while trying to gain sympathy and attention; while suggesting that "every one is against me",   But that's OK of course!  I am in full support of what ever contest you do, or do not initiate! But, come on really? :) Weight, size, dimensions, color, tone, thickness, purity,  . . . etc, etc? 

Hey, I'm not being negative or critical here Bob. I hope ypu can pull this off in a fashion where the participants enjoy the contest, but you can't reasonably expect to "INSIST" that everyone else (critics, non-participants or not), be excluded from reflection and commentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

The scary thing about the gold monster is a lot of time the gold that you blow tube will actually be bigger than what the monster gets.  It gets gold small enough that you will seriously wonder if it was worth the time digging it.  But I do love it for the bedrock digging.  It is a good cleanup machine after the GPZ has got the single grain pieces.

But sometimes I'd rather tell the family I got the skunk than show them pin head size piece of gold. :D

Andyy. Man, you hit the square nail on the head. Those tiny pieces of Gold only mean something to certain people. Those who know how difficult it is to get them!

• Like 1

BMc ... This is just a mild warning to knock off the personalizations of ... in this case Bedrock Bob. This is how forum wars are started here and it won't  be tolerated. Further posts of negativity to any member of this forum will result in a formal warning and removal of offending posts. Enough said. Thank you.

• Like 2

Mike, Of course I will respect your advisement, and hope that you would take notice and be kind and officious enough to extend me the same rule enforcement if I PM you regarding BRB's attacks; insults, personalizations and belittlements when next they occur, instead of just laughing at them as you have done in the past.

Thank You Sir!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BMc ... I am a believer in equal opportunity for all! However there is a point where it goes down the slide of no return. I haven't been on the forums much this summer but I have noticed a bit of negative behavior that just doesn't taste good! Soooo ... Just trying to prevent that slippery slope from appearing. BTW ... Not aware of me laughing at attacks on you ... if I did I apologize. In any event until Bill or Skip tell me to knock it off I will be making an attempt to prevent personal affronts when I see them. This is a family forum and those of us that have a bit of age and experience should be setting a positive example ... not the opposite! Thanks for understanding my position on this.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

BMc ... I am a believer in equal opportunity for all! However there is a point where it goes down the slide of no return. I haven't been on the forums much this summer but I have noticed a bit of negative behavior that just doesn't taste good! Soooo ... Just trying to prevent that slippery slope from appearing. BTW ... Not aware of me laughing at attacks on you ... if I did I apologize. In any event until Bill or Skip tell me to knock it off I will be making an attempt to prevent personal affronts when I see them. This is a family forum and those of us that have a bit of age and experience should be setting a positive example ... not the opposite! Thanks for understanding my position on this.

Of course Mike, I do understand you are doing your job and I certainly appreciate and support that. I wouldn't expect, nor would I want you to do anything other than what you feel is right, and the appropriate thing to do under the circumstances.  There is a lot of ribbing, teasing and cajoling among members on this forum, and for the most part, it seems to be all in good fun. I have engaged in my share but never in a malicious manner (IMO)  What concerns me is that the forum rules only seem to apply to those willing to follow them. You can count me among the willing.

• Thanks 1