Nugget Shooter Forums
Bedrock Bob

Rock collecting in El Paso tomorrow

Bob

beyond doubt, your bestest and truest post Ever!

thank you 

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting and unique public observations, Bob...I can identify because I was raised in a tiny mining town near Death Valley, one in which we all still value each other as people (although we do have a very few people who are very hateful and who happen to be on the Left side of Neptune and who are impossible to talk to...But that's like 4 people out of a thousand...) It all comes down to mutual respect and those who lack that DO have a lacking of true community feeling... All communities, even including our gold and forums communities, are critical to our mutual well being...Thanks for shining a light on what is behind the news in El Paso ...I guess the elderly lady did "rock you right!" ...:4chsmu1:...Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

The  so called ' media" is the great divider, they feed  division and hate especially in those not raised right. Those that control the media, images  set the agenda and influence the culture. They feed the hateful ideas some have....but anyways..just one persons opinion.  The media is a powerful tool...used to influence us all . Peace...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Thanks for asking Ron!

Basically what I saw was unity. El Paso came together as a community to be with community. The left and right screamed their frustrations at one another but the partisans shouting about politics were the vast minority. People hyper focused on politics do not represent the people of this country nor El Paso. This was overwhelmingly evident.

For every "liberal" and every "conservative" there were ten non-partisans and five more anti-partisans. The left wanted to talk about the faults of the right and vice versa. But nine out of ten in the crowd wanted to talk about how they BOTH have led us to this point. And how they BOTH played a negative role. And how partisanship itself is more to blame for what is happening than anything else.

The overwhelming thread of common truth that ran through everyone is that we were all targets. Left, right, brown white. We as a country have whined, griped, accused and misrepresented, hated and divided ourselves into a position that is dangerous as hell. And political rhetoric on both sides is fueling it.

Everyone agreed that the community as a whole was a target. But they felt safe in the crowd surrounded by their community. They were all in the streets and they felt safe with their neighbor even after a massacre. Safe enough to go to the streets and speak their mind even if their neighbor disagreed with them. They felt that it was outsiders that brought hate into the community. Not their neighbor that shares a differing viewpoint. They place community over ideology.

I didn't see the lefties calling the righties racists or fascists. These were their neighbors and they knew better. I didn't see right wingers claim that the lefties were open border, communist or "pro criminal". They knew it was not true and they could not accuse them of it when standing face to face. They disagreed and spoke their mind but they did not say the things to each other that is said on the internet. They had to keep it real.

I think it was an excellent exercise for them. They actually communicated. They saw each other as human. Something that people high on extreme politics and typing on the internet generally refuse to do. 

I saw a small fraction of lefties and righties doing what lefties and righties do. And cameras focused on them. Behind them a vast crowd that represented El Paso rather than a political ideology. Independents, Democrats, Republicans, non-partisans, anti-partisans, disenfranchised.... every one a target for hate. Every one a proud member of their community. Every one willing to be tolerant of his neighbors viewpoints even if they disagreed. Every one wishing the partisans on either side would come back from crazytown and allow the majority a voice.

I was going to tell the story of where I collected my rock. Walking back to the truck through the streets of downtown El Paso as the crowd dispersed. And of an old lady with an ice chest with cold water who could not be part of the group because she could not walk along with the crowd. So she brought her ice chest and sat in a spot so she could offer a drink to those walking to and from the gathering. It was a way she could be involved and help. 

In our discussion over a plastic bottle of water I heard her opinion and she heard mine. She offered me a rock because I had not collected one yet. She just picked it up from the ground and handed it to me. Nothing particularly special. A piece of limestone from the Franklin Mountains. But she gave it to me with a smile and made it precious. She would have done that regardless of my color. Regardless of my opinion or politics. She gave it to me because I was part of the community and she trusted me. And those things are a lot more important than ideology. Especially after these murders.

Her opinion was that if the murderer been able to experience a sense of community and fellowship with other humans he would not have been hateful. She said if he had been raised in El Paso he would not have been like that. He may have been a good man if he was from the borderland. If he knew us he would not have hated us. If he had a sense of community he may not have hated at all.

As I walked back through the streets to my truck I wondered about myself and how I would have been different had I been raised in another place without the sense of love and community. What would I have been if racism and hate was tolerated in the place I grew up?  

I thought about how I went in search of a stone hurled in anger and got the opposite. I pondered the value of a stone thrown in a riot as compared to a stone given to me by an old Mexican lady who also gave me a drink and a conversation. I realized that people often have no idea what is precious or valuable if it can't be quantified by an assay. 

So that is the basics of my rock hunt in El Paso. I was going to do a little creative writing using these impressions but instead will just give you the condensed version. 

Thanks for showing an interest Ron. Have a great day and I hope you find a hunk of gold as big as your ol' smelly foot.

Bob

And what was Trump doing?

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Bob

beyond doubt, your bestest and truest post Ever!

thank you 

fred

Way to be Bob, and thanks for sharing your point of view. :thumbsupanim

ht

• Thanks 1

great read Bob, thanks.

the best food have eaten has come from the inner cities where ever me at and have never felt threatened.

when traveling and want a good meal, stop at truck stop and ask the workers where the best eateries are. food is good and cheaper the conversation's are great.

again, thanks Bob

• Thanks 1

So that is the basics of my rock hunt in El Paso. I was going to do a little creative writing using these impressions but instead will just give you the condensed version. 

Bob

Great observations and well said!

3 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

And what was Trump doing?

Slim, I don't think Bob went there to see what Trump was doing and I'm guessing Bob could care less!

We will not be going down that rabbit hole, trying to derail this topic and turning it towards politics any further than it has been isn't going to happen, FlakMagnet who is a Moderator has already ask for that to stop!!

This topic is about community feelings, tolerance and human kindness towards each other in the face of a horrible event and not politics, any more posts from here on out turning this in any other direction will be removed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

great read Bob, thanks.

the best food have eaten has come from the inner cities where ever me at and have never felt threatened.

when traveling and want a good meal, stop at truck stop and ask the workers where the best eateries are. food is good and cheaper the conversation's are great.

again, thanks Bob

Thanks for the good words bob!

If you are ever in El Paso try the Mexican tacos. They are completely different from what you are probably used to eating. Tacos Al Pastor are a Lebanese dish that has become the pride of Mexico. Carne asada, pollo asada and barbacoa is mighty delicious too. You can get fed for about five bucks at any food truck in town.

We have a local dish called gorditas that are popular too. Like a taco it is an entire meal in one hand. And sea food (Mariscos) is the classic Mexican fare with ceviche an seafood stew (siete mares) being one of the most popular dishes around.

In the summer we drink a lot of horchata and Jamaica. Jamaica is just natural hibiscus tea sweetened with raw sugar. Horchata is rice, condensed milk and nutmeg. Horchata is natural Gatorade and you can do handsprings in the sun after you drink it. You would really enjoy it. If you have not already discovered it then make some or get some at the market. There are plenty of traditional recipes on the net but it is basically ground rice, water, milk and spices. It will do everything that coconut oil and cider vinegar will do and then some.

Provecho bob.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Great observations and well said!

Slim, I don't think Bob went there to see what Trump was doing and I'm guessing Bob could care less!

We will not be going down that rabbit hole, trying to derail this topic and turning it towards politics any further than it has been isn't going to happen, FlakMagnet who is a Moderator has already ask for that to stop!!

This topic is about community feelings, tolerance and human kindness towards each other in the face of a horrible event and not politics, any more posts from here on out turning this in any other direction will be removed.

An unexpected and much appreciated voice of moderation. Thank you many times over Skip! :worship:

Slim,

No one in El Paso cared what Trump was doing as long as he stayed out of public view. His opinions could have only caused chaos in an already tense setting. He seemed to realize this and did as well as can be expected given his personality, the hand he was dealt and the position he put himself in.

The truth be known he did a lot more to calm the situation by not talking in public as some other politicians did by speaking to the crowd. That is my honest opinion as an anti-partisan bystander.

That is as fair an answer as you will get on the subject from someone from the El Paso area. Most people here will agree with that assessment regardless of their political stripe. 

• Like 7
  • well done 2

I guess I can now close out the two 'reports' I have been monitoring after what Skip said publicly. Keep it clean guys ... this thread is encouraging and enlightening showing that folks who disagree can be civil! We need more of this in this world.

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

I guess I can now close out the two 'reports' I have been monitoring after what Skip said publicly. Keep it clean guys ... this thread is encouraging and enlightening showing that folks who disagree can be civil! We need more of this in this world.

You should keep my dossier open for a few days Mike. I still have some race bait in the water and I keep getting bites on it. If I land any more of these catfish I will be over my limit. You might have to write me a citation for a game violation.

You know me. Ill have some poor prospector nailed to a board and pullin' the skin off him if you are not paying close attention. Your vigilance and keen eye are the only thing that keeps this place from turning into a fish fry. :D

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I bet that little one I just threw back will bite again. Let's give it a while and see. This greasy bait really brings them in!
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1