Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rylan

I’m ignorant with this but.....

Just saw this beautiful opal like shine, semi polish. South side Lake Superior again. Haven’t done any tests yet. Just looking for any possible thoughts or opinions 

9DF5229F-205D-4C13-8AE9-B77551ABBA68.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry, but that photo is not very helpful.

It is obviously a dark colored silicate. And it looks as if it is probably translucent. So it is most likely agate.

If you say it has an "opal like shine" I am assuming you mean there is a play of light at a certain angle. Like moonstone or sheen obsidian. Not flashes of bright color like an opal but a glow as you roll the stone in relation to a light source. Like a moonstone or aventurine quartz.

Going on those assumptions I would say it is a fossil of some sort.  I would imagine the play of light you are seeing is caused by inclusions in the agate. Those inclusions were likely the result of plant or animal life causing an oriented pattern in the stone. Minerals also orient themselves in layers that reflect light without the help of living organisms. That could be the case as well.

So that is why translucent rocks sometimes have a play of light. There are tiny reflective mineral flakes all oriented in the stone. Like a bunch of microscopic solar panels all facing the same direction. When light hits them at a certain angle they glow with an eerie sheen. Adventurine quartz, moonstone, sheen obsidian, labradorite, and several other stones can really light up. Agate is not one that generally has a play of light. But in certain cases it can. That is my best guess as to what you are seeing in the stone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information. I want to try and get a better couple pictures to post.

I think your right an inclusion. Hopefully I can polish it and get better photos 

529BE33F-B758-458F-A480-9099AF0EB304.jpeg

B6AEE035-0FE2-483F-B40C-4837DF390732.jpeg

Okay, those pics are far better than the first, but they’re still blurry. 

I think though, that I can tell a little something about it now. Looks like you’ve got a piece of something opaque like basalt, with a small chalcedony inclusion. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is the blue spot always visible or only at certain angles when you rotate it? could be a schiller from labradorite or some other feldspar if it is seen only at certain angels.

Unfortunately your camera is focusing on the background, try having a white sheet of paper behind it to create greater contrast, that might lock the focus in on the rock.

Edited by fuss

Thanks D and Fuss. There are a few other small spots of blue around the rock as well. The one in light is reverse side. Correct, only visible at certain angles. You guys rock🤟🏼. Pun intended?

9E8CED1D-734F-4800-AA3A-5981D2537491.jpeg

6D34B2C5-1EA3-41B4-8A57-B30A290611B0.jpeg

BB580A43-126E-4281-A1C7-169C3112EBB6.jpeg

A16A9F4B-6B70-45B2-8B39-00E1CC14C063.jpeg

• Like 1

Okay, between your answers to Fuss’s questions and your new pics I’d say it’s labradorite or spectrolite. Both are feldspar with play of color, but depending on who you talk to spectrolite only comes from Finland, or is labradorite with a black base color.

• Like 1