Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

A snakes rattle

Interesting little video of how a rattle works. I always thought they had something inside of them. I still dont like them :) 

Tom H.

• Like 5

I can't seem to get the video to play on here or on Facebook, it just keeps on loading forever, so I found it on YouTube so it can be viewed easier.

Interesting for sure, I also didn't know exactly how the rattle works either, but I do like poisonous snakes with a rattle A.K.A. rattlesnakes much better than the other poisonous ones that don't have the rattle, the rattleless ones are too ninja like :200: and easier too step on!! :yikes:

• Like 3

I lost most of my hearing back in 1981. Have not heard a rattler (or a bird or a cricket) since. They are all copperheads to me. 

Around here they are mostly Western Diamondbacks and blacktails. Mighty calm snakes. Hard to get them to bite most of the time. Even when they do they generally don't envenomate. They will start rattling 50 yards away if they are awake. The diamondbacks are almost a joke around here. The bite is nasty and will disfigure the heck out of you but I have never heard of anyone dying. Just going broke trying to save an arm or leg. Most that get bit are doing something stupid like trying to pick one up.

The blacktail rattler is a short, chubby green rascal with a black tail. He has a disposition like  diamondback. He will scare the heck out of you but he rarely gets aggressive. I have seen guys pick them up and play with them. The snakes almost seem to enjoy it. 

Not so much with the prairie rattlers and the occasional Mojave. We have some rock rattlers too. Small snakes with a big attitude. Any of these three will only rattle when you are too close and often strike without a rattle. And the Mojave and rock rattlers will kill you graveyard dead with haste. A dog will fall down dead in ten steps. Wicked bad venom. 

The little rock rattlers will chase you around camp. They will all out attack more often than not. I am not sure anyone could hear the rattle. A rock rattlesnake a foot long is rare here. The rattle is super tiny. They are incredibly hard to see too. I have only seen a handful in my life and every time it was a big thrill. They jump right toward you and keep on jumping.

Aggressive is a good word for a Mojave. Crazy pissed off is how a rock rattler spends most of his time.

A prairie rattler struck at me going into my mobile home one day. He was coiled next to the step and just pecked at me a little as I went by. I jumped through the door and landed on top of the washing machine. I immediately realized how strong rattlesnake venom was. He didn't even bite me and that venom made me schit my pants. 

Had a dozen close calls. Even got venom in a finger while skinning one around the mouth. A good mount includes the lips and scales on the end of the nose. Was using a small pocket knife to do detail work around the lips. Had venom dripping off my elbow. The knife slipped and I poked my index finger on a fang. My hand swelled up fat. Fingers like bratwursts. Just a drop of that wicked juice under the skin near a knuckle. Crapped my pants again. 

Got tagged on the pants leg while walking in the grass. Two snakes mating hooked together at the tail. One bit at me and hit my knee. The fangs went through the baggy pants but did not hit skin. Carhartt carpenter pants with the double knee on the front. Heavy canvas denim jobs. Had a load of venom run down my leg into my socks. If he had been free at the tail he would have driven those fangs right into my kneecap. As the venom trickled down my leg I realized I would need some new underwear. 

Snake venom is powerful stuff. It'll make you crap your pants even if it just gets close to you.

• Like 4
  • wow 1

Here you go Bob, hope this helps! If you're really full of the stuff, you may have to take several! :)

ANTI-PANT CRAP MED.PNG

• Haha 2

There is a big difference between "full of it" and involuntarily getting rid if it.

Just in case you forgot what "full of it" looks like... :)

poodle.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

There is a big difference between "full of it" and involuntarily getting rid if it.

Just in case you forgot what "full of it" looks like... :)

poodle.png

Smooth move Hombre. Sometimes it's better to just go with the flow . . . :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMc said:

Smooth move Hombre. Sometimes it's better to just go with the flow . . . :)

We were out late last night in the Uvas Mountains. It rained like heck off and on and the snakes and bugs were thick. We counted 8 vinegar bugs, 4 rattlesnakes, 2 bull snakes, 2 foxes, 3 deer and a bobcat. We also found poodles. No kidding.

On the way back we saw five puppies someone dropped off . Full of ticks. Looks like they had been under a trailer house in a nest with mom for three months. Almost lifeless on the side of the trail just outside Hatch. These poodles were probably not Spanish but they seemed to understand the language. When I picked one up he was just rough underneath with ticks. Their ears were completely covered with them.

I figured they were goners. I couldn't put them out of their misery though and could not leave them there for the sun to come up on. So I took them back and powdered them really good with Sevin and gave them water. They would not even drink and I was afraid they might have Parvo or something. I put them up in the back of the truck to quarantine them. I honestly did not expect them to make it through the night.

They woke me up yapping about 4 a.m. I went out and saw a million dead ticks all over the bed of the truck. They had finished their water and were all sitting up looking at me. They were wagging and had some spark in their eyes. I gave them more water and they went crazy for it. I put out some dry food and they ate as much as  I thought they could handle. 

By 8 o'clock they were acting like puppies again. They still had ticks everywhere but they were falling off fast. They were wagging and even playing a little. Animal Control came by and took them. The lady said they would be taken care of and brought back to heath for adoption.

So we saw poodles. Spanish poodles in the desert. Imagine that. I am a believer now because I have seen them with my own eyes. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

We were out late last night in the Uvas Mountains. It rained like heck off and on and the snakes and bugs were thick. We counted 8 vinegar bugs, 4 rattlesnakes, 2 bull snakes, 2 foxes, 3 deer and a bobcat. We also found poodles. No kidding.

On the way back we saw five puppies someone dropped off . Full of ticks. Looks like they had been under a trailer house in a nest with mom for three months. Almost lifeless on the side of the trail just outside Hatch. These poodles were probably not Spanish but they seemed to understand the language. When I picked one up he was just rough underneath with ticks. Their ears were completely covered with them.

I figured they were goners. I couldn't put them out of their misery though and could not leave them there for the sun to come up on. So I took them back and powdered them really good with Sevin and gave them water. They would not even drink and I was afraid they might have Parvo or something. I put them up in the back of the truck to quarantine them. I honestly did not expect them to make it through the night.

They woke me up yapping about 4 a.m. I went out and saw a million dead ticks all over the bed of the truck. They had finished their water and were all sitting up looking at me. They were wagging and had some spark in their eyes. I gave them more water and they went crazy for it. I put out some dry food and they ate as much as  I thought they could handle. 

By 8 o'clock they were acting like puppies again. They still had ticks everywhere but they were falling off fast. They were wagging and even playing a little. Animal Control came by and took them. The lady said they would be taken care of and brought back to heath for adoption.

So we saw poodles. Spanish poodles in the desert. Imagine that. I am a believer now because I have seen them with my own eyes. :)

And the truth shall make you free! :)

Hey Mac,

Do you have friends or family in El Paso? Are they fine?

I have already spoken to two people who have friends or family involved. Everyone around here has a connection to someone in El Paso. I have a lot of friends and many family members that live there. Luckily none were involved directly.

It is all one community and when something like this happens it shakes everyone up. I wanted to ask since you are a homeboy and all. I hope that everyone you know is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Bedrock Bob,...Your'e a GOOD MAN for doing what you did for those pups,... We own three poodles, and just love them to death.  They are just a special breed of dog each having a distinct and different personality of their own.  Gary

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, LowPoint said:

Bedrock Bob,...Your'e a GOOD MAN for doing what you did for those pups,... We own three poodles, and just love them to death.  They are just a special breed of dog each having a distinct and different personality of their own.  Gary

Thanks Gary.

I love dogs. Dogs are some of the best people I know. And people are some of the worst dogs I know. So that about sums it up for me.

I can't figure why they did not just call Animal Control like I did. The days here have been brutal and the sun is wicked hot. Those dogs were dehydrated and had ticks sucking them dry. Some jackass took them out at night and dropped them off by the road in the bare desert. Then went back to his house to wait for the sun to come up on them. That is way beyond cruel. I hope that schit haunts him bad.

Anyhoo I am just stoked that It worked out. This has been a tragic weekend around here and taking care of those puppies made it a lot easier on me. I hope they all find good homes and have a good person to look out for them. I bet they will. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Sorry Tom. None of this has anything to do with how a rattlesnake rattles.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Thanks Gary.

I love dogs. Dogs are some of the best people I know. And people are some of the worst dogs I know. So that about sums it up for me.

I can't figure why they did not just call Animal Control like I did. The days here have been brutal and the sun is wicked hot. Those dogs were dehydrated and had ticks sucking them dry. Some jackass took them out at night and dropped them off by the road in the bare desert. Then went back to his house to wait for the sun to come up on them. That is way beyond cruel. I hope that schit haunts him bad.

Anyhoo I am just stoked that It worked out. This has been a tragic weekend around here and taking care of those puppies made it a lot easier on me. I hope they all find good homes and have a good person to look out for them. I bet they will. 

You have definitely said a mouth-full in that first sentence, as I feel the same.  My wife and I love dogs as well,..we are just a bit partial toward poodles.  But we don't think that 'ANY' dog should be abandoned, nor treated that way.  Those are God's creatures, and there will be a "Reckoning" of 'A'-Holes like that,...........I only wish that I would be the one doing it.  Thanks again for your kindness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Hey Mac,

Do you have friends or family in El Paso? Are they fine?

I have already spoken to two people who have friends or family involved. Everyone around here has a connection to someone in El Paso. I have a lot of friends and many family members that live there. Luckily none were involved directly.

It is all one community and when something like this happens it shakes everyone up. I wanted to ask since you are a homeboy and all. I hope that everyone you know is fine.

Thanks for asking Bob. I used to have family in El Paso and I worked up and down the Valley a lot over the years. I used to go to the Cielo Vista mall and the Walmart when I was down there. I didn't pack while I was working since it was a violation of State Law/PI License requirements, but it kind of goes back to the subject of the possibility of walking into something like that. And yes, it can happen to anyone, and you never know when or where. Glad all your people are OK. I've talked to friends and neighbors around Hatch, so far, so good. Thanks.

• Like 2

Great video, something I never knew. I would like to see a rattler from a distance. I have a fear of snakes and would really like to get over that.

Forgot just what this thread was about.  Hijackers often won't start a thread of their own but bully their way into another's.  

I didn't know this about the rattles on snakes but I'm glad that they are there no matter how they work.  I mostly see the snakes before they do their thing but I'm a slow hunter and pick my way through the brush.  Has anyone run into a whole passel of snakes in the act of mating and such?  That's kind of unnerving  as you don't know just how far into it you have ventured.  

Old Tom

Tom you can’t herd cats and you can’t keep some from wandering...

Cooper, overcoming your fear of snakes is possible...start slow, read some books, go to zoo and watch...then find someone with a Rosy Boa and have them hold it while you touch the skin. After a while you can hold it yourself. I cured my mother of her fear...you can do it.

fred

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, Old Tom said:

Forgot just what this thread was about.  Hijackers often won't start a thread of their own but bully their way into another's.  

I'm sorry I got off topic Tom. I certainly was not trying to hijack anyone's thread nor be a bully. If I came off like that I apologize for that too.

I start a lot of threads. You can see that most are hijacked. Often by the same personality. So I can relate. I certainly was not trying to be nasty or insulting. You know that I have to deal with that on a regular basis around here. 

I realized I was off topic and even apologized for it at the end of my last post. I repented and I sinned no more. I was trying to show respect. If you just can't forgive or give any respect back then I apologize again.

I'll be a lot more careful with the Tom's territory and try my best not to melt any freshly fallen snowflakes with my comments. They certainly were not meant to offend anyone. I just got off topic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, fredmason said:

Tom you can’t herd cats and you can’t keep some from wandering...

Cooper, overcoming your fear of snakes is possible...start slow, read some books, go to zoo and watch...then find someone with a Rosy Boa and have them hold it while you touch the skin. After a while you can hold it yourself. I cured my mother of her fear...you can do it.

fred

I may just do that, They are fascinating reptiles. I kinda look in when at the pet store but, not many to see, if any at times. 

Bob...are you sure you can repent and sin no more...It ain't as easy as it sounds..

.just teasing and meandering the topic along!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Bob...are you sure you can repent and sin no more...It ain't as easy as it sounds..

.just teasing and meandering the topic along!

SERPENT! DEMON! HOW DARE YOU TEMPT ME!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I hope all fearful of reptiles will acquaint themselves with the differences between rattlesnakes and the  non venomous Gopher snake.

Key differences  of the Gopher are lack of a typical triangular head(of a venomous viper), they have a narrow body  and head/round pupils, and no rattles

Other than that, their markings/skin look almost identical.Snake differences.  They can be easily confused if not looking for key details and are pannicked.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
  • Like 1

and some gopher snakes are as grumpy as some these Prospectors and will strike and bite...

BTW if any reptile bites you, disinfect right away...they have all kinds of bad bugs to convey.

fred

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, fredmason said:

and some gopher snakes are as grumpy as some these Prospectors and will strike and bite...

BTW if any reptile bites you, disinfect right away...they have all kinds of bad bugs to convey.

fred

A Great Plains Gopher Snake has an awful bite. I know a guy that has a big chunk of his hand missing from an infected bite. Their mouth is septic as heck and they have a whole bunch of teeth like a fish. A thousand little needles to drive that awful rotten spit under your skin.

In contrast grumpy prospectors don't have many teeth. They will snap at you with a mouthful of smelly gums though. You might find one with a few old brown teeth left in there that could break the skin. I don't know if their bite is an infection risk but I would still wash the area thoroughly. You never know what those rascals have been chewing on.

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2