Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

Rare iron found in Southern New Mexico!

Posted (edited)

I was hunting meteorites in the air conditioned environment at my favorite thrift store and found this beauty! A #3 Griswold cast iron egg skillet circa 1910-1920!

DSCN0709.JPG

It was marked $6.99 but it after my Senior Discount I got it for $3.50. These rascals are worth at least $50. I have seen larger Griswold iron skillets go for two hundred frogskins! I see some on Ebay for much more.

I have not seen a Griswold skillet for sale outside of an antique shop in years. When you do see one it has a price tag like a Rolex watch. I have one other Griswold skillet in my collection and it was given to me by a friend. After several years of collecting ironware I figured it would be the only one I would ever own. I am pretty stoked that I finally found one on the shelf at the thrift store for a song!

This particular strewn field had yielded several thousand dollars worth of rare and valuable meteorites over the past six or eight years. Things have fallen from the sky like signed Dali prints, Stetson hats, Pendleton shirts, 1999 Levis 501 jeans, Forschner knives and Japanese teapots just to name a few. I figure that this strewn field is paying more per hour than Glorieta by a factor of about ten.

I am going to make an enchilada for lunch and fry an egg on my new meteorite. It is still hot from the friction of entering the atmosphere. It should do a couple eggs over-easy with the heat remaining.

https://thekitchenprofessor.com/blog/cast-iron/history-of-griswold-cast-iron

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Added a link for some basic info on the company and how to date one of these skillets.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1

Nice find Bob!! :thumbsupanim

I'll take 2 eggs over easy you can send them to me Via a PM!!:droolin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Read the description on your link Slim. Those are Wagner skillets. The trademark is clear in the photos. That is not a Griswold skillet as you can plainly see. Then read the link I posted on the history and it will become clear to you. You will learn that Wagner took over the foundry and produced a lot of skillets marked "Griswold" after the company went belly up in 1957. They are all worth about as much as any other Wagner iron skillet. A real Griswold is worth a whole lot more.

I am sure you saw what the real Griswold skillets are worth if you went on Ebay and looked.

You don't have to go out of your way to be a turd Slim. You choose to do that. And those choices speak volumes about the man.

Cheers!

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Nice find Bob!! :thumbsupanim

I'll take 2 eggs over easy you can send them to me Via a PM!!:droolin:

P.M Sent. If the yolks are too hard just feed them to the dog and I will send a couple more. :thumbsupanim

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I was hunting meteorites in the air conditioned environment at my favorite thrift store and found this beauty! A #3 Griswold cast iron egg skillet circa 1910-1920!

DSCN0709.JPG

It was marked $6.99 but it after my Senior Discount I got it for $3.50. These rascals are worth at least $50. I have seen larger Griswold iron skillets go for two hundred frogskins! I see some on Ebay for much more.

I have not seen a Griswold skillet for sale outside of an antique shop in years. When you do see one it has a price tag like a Rolex watch. I have one other Griswold skillet in my collection and it was given to me by a friend. After several years of collecting ironware I figured it would be the only one I would ever own. I am pretty stoked that I finally found one on the shelf at the thrift store for a song!

This particular strewn field had yielded several thousand dollars worth of rare and valuable meteorites over the past six or eight years. Things have fallen from the sky like signed Dali prints, Stetson hats, Pendleton shirts, 1999 Levis 501 jeans, Forschner knives and Japanese teapots just to name a few. I figure that this strewn field is paying more per hour than Glorieta by a factor of about ten.

I am going to make an enchilada for lunch and fry an egg on my new meteorite. It is still hot from the friction of entering the atmosphere. It should do a couple eggs over-easy with the heat remaining.

https://thekitchenprofessor.com/blog/cast-iron/history-of-griswold-cast-iron

That's killer Bob, you are the king of that strewn field. You know i would not be surprised if the main mass is still out there just waiting discovery. Happy hunting :4chsmu1:

ht

• Like 1

Buy it then Slim! It will only cost a couple bucks more than what I paid for mine. It is a helluva deal! Then you will have one too! We can fry eggs together!

--------------

You are obviously an unhappy guy Slim. If you were an well adjusted and happy person you would not feel the need to wrestle over a post about an old skillet.

Unhappiness at your age is a tragic thing. Ordinarily I would feel sympathy but you make it easy not to. I want you to know I appreciate that a lot.

Cheers!

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, you can drop the eggs next to the Red-Flannel hash.

• Like 1