Nugget Shooter Forums

Could this be a sandstone meteorite, Seriously

I've got no idea what I'm looking at because my computer screen doesn't have the resolution needed to see and 'feel' the details you are describing.

If you have looked at the metbul site then you know what it takes for a meteorite to get classified.  Once classified it is then is named based upon its location when found.  You would be listed as the discoverer.  Then it has value.

There are quite a few dealers on the web.  Take your best pictures and send it to them.  If they make you an offer then they think it is real.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So i guess im coming into this a little late.  Little back ground on myself i went to college for geology and i am in the process of obtaining my professional geologist license.   A few things th

BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHO YOU ACCUSE HERE ON THESE FORUMS!! One of the main rules here is there is no toleration for attacking/questioning actions of forum staff for doing their job, accusing forum

I'm finally getting to you huh?  You need to get it in perspective buddy. Honestly. You are not going to convince anyone that your rock could possibly be a meteorite. You have given it your all. I

Posted Images

14 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I've got no idea what I'm looking at because my computer screen doesn't have the resolution needed to see and 'feel' the details you are describing.

If you have looked at the metbul site then you know what it takes for a meteorite to get classified.  Once classified it is then is named based upon its location when found.  You would be listed as the discoverer.  Then it has value.

There are quite a few dealers on the web.  Take your best pictures and send it to them.  If they make you an offer then they think it is real.  

Higher quality photos of the stone. Yeah IDK nobody takes this idea seriously and how can I argue proof if vital I mean key details are simply brushed aside. I'm done with this and pursuing future expeditions that are more prepared. I'm glad that cooler minds prevail I feel blessed in this work I've done truly and I 80% stand behind my assertions here and elsewhere. I've made a few errors but these things are ultimately  ironed out in the bigger picture. -odin

20200508_162525.jpg

20200508_162513.jpg

20200508_162448.jpg

20200508_162438.jpg

20200508_162329.jpg

20200508_135052.jpg

20200508_135041.jpg

20200508_134909.jpg

20200508_135018.jpg

The interior has become sand that I have kept and will always keep. I've not wasted this but controlled it and am amazed by this stone. The exterior is quite fused and all fragments survive and held by many people here in Winnipeg. 

• 5 months later...

"bedrock Bob" is it?  I shouldn't be so surprised or so easily disappointed in my fellow humans...   But sadly I find myself here all too often..

Here's just one of your issues (as I'm sure there are many more.) You see, from the time you read the title of this very well written question, your narrow mind was so wrapped up in formulating your stifling rebuttal that you lost the ability to comprehend the question..  

I used to be married to a woman who had the same problem. She could never hear the very rational and clear things that I was saying because she was lost thinking up what she was going to say next...  

Honestly, when someone is so certain and sure that they can give statements like it is and it is not about something you're seeing a picture of in the description of, well I'm forced to lose all respect for that person.. especially if that person is a scientist or fancies themselves scientific. Because that kind of blonde surety screams that you've missed the essential lesson and ideal of what actually is science....  

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Resurrected a 5 month old thread and a first time poster.  Interesting.

Edited by chrisski
  • Thanks 1

Lots of talk without saying anything of substance, as I've come to expect from people like that.  Good day, sir.

Yeah well the scientific and observable features are consistent with research, which none of you have bothered to look at. 

My main points are, white/translucent mm crusting.

Burns and a typical stoney if you look at flow lines and reg formations

Kink banding is present and obvious shocking. Plus sand grains  in lighter mineral veins are not fused!

And the shape of it was perfect and I wish that I didn't have to do what i did. But it was how I proved it. So my mistake was destroying very critical features...

1 minute ago, Odinxgen said:

Yeah well the scientific and observable features are consistent with research, which none of you have bothered to look at. 

Have you had any actual scientists look at it?  What were their thoughts?

If you all would have been more engaged with finding the truth, maybe I would have done that. 

It may be funny that I found this but speaking on the completely crusted specimen it was a perfect match and all agreed. Suddenly when sandstone became the interior it was impossible. But evidence of what happens to sandstone during atmospheric entry shows 1. Terrestrial sandstone can withstand entry

2 that it will discoler white and dislodge instead of melt really. 

3. The red also matches the rollover lip, it was deeply burnt ant circled the tail feature. It was a dead ringer.

Edit that Martian sandstone is heavier. 

And the leading expert in the manitoba whiteshell (which is a totally unique strewn field) says himself it was bizarre and not normal. And also notably VERY heavy. Everybody that has held it is surprised its VERY dense and metallic even when i smacked it with my hammer.

Edited by Odinxgen
22 minutes ago, Odinxgen said:

If you all would have been more engaged with finding the truth, maybe I would have done that.

So you are convinced, but couldn't convince anyone here?  Perhaps if you were more engaged in finding the truth, you would have found it.

Perhaps if you did your due diligence and did what was necessary to follow through, you could come back here and tell everyone how wrong they were.  Instead, it's still just speculation.

Where did you get your evidence of what happens to sandstone on entry?

Why would it discolor white, when other meteorites do not?

How do you know Martian sandstone is heavier?  Have you been to Mars?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.  I'm not an expert.  Pretty much like everyone else here.  Go find an expert and tell us what they say.

Thanks!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

also, my comments have all been edited by someone else. Clearly the admins and mods here think its a big joke. But im everywhere here

BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHO YOU ACCUSE HERE ON THESE FORUMS!!

One of the main rules here is there is no toleration for attacking/questioning actions of forum staff for doing their job, accusing forum staff of wrong doing when unwarranted will not be tolerated!! 

If any of our staff edits a post it is because the member violated forum rules, or they were asked to do so by the member.

If any of our staff gets out of line I let them know immediately, they are not immune from forum rules, I'm harder on them to follow the rules than I am for regular members.

The forum staff here doesn't do anything that I as one of the Administrators am not aware of, the staff here also have rules they must following when moderating any content and or moderating a member and they don't do anything without posting that fact in a special forum section only visible and accessible to forum staff so that all staff members here can see what has been moderated.

Also forum staff can see who edits any content on these forums and who did the editing.

That being said I just reviewed all of your posts in this topic, you have a total of 6 posts in this topic that were edited......they all were edited by you!!

1 on page 2 on Aug. 02, 2019.

3 on page 5, 2 on Aug. 02, 2019, 1 on Aug. 04, 2019

2 on page 7 on May 07, 2020 

• Like 4
  • well done 4
6 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

And the leading expert in the manitoba whiteshell (which is a totally unique strewn field) 

Derek Erstelle?  Being an "expert" at finding meteorites is not a replacement for proper meteorite identification.

There are a few finds from Manitoba, but no strewn fields that I can find documented, please cite the known strewn fields.

Seems that all the meteorites from that region are irons, please share what makes them "totally unique".

Come back with a proper meteorite identification and classification, it's a fairly straight forward process.

Edited by Mikestang
5 hours ago, LukeJ said:

So you are convinced, but couldn't convince anyone here?  Perhaps if you were more engaged in finding the truth, you would have found it.

Perhaps if you did your due diligence and did what was necessary to follow through, you could come back here and tell everyone how wrong they were.  Instead, it's still just speculation.

Where did you get your evidence of what happens to sandstone on entry?

Why would it discolor white, when other meteorites do not?

How do you know Martian sandstone is heavier?  Have you been to Mars?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.  I'm not an expert.  Pretty much like everyone else here.  Go find an expert and tell us what they say.

Thanks!

So here you have it, 

Im fricking wrong because this guy doesn't understand why what i just stated is fact. 

Listen to me. 

The scientific research I've pulled from

Are the effects of atmospheric entry on a sandstone.

The stone experiment sandstone. And

Dr John anfinogenova, his paper which is one of the earliest to propose a devastating planetary event that cause mass mayhem in our solar system. And lays out, sedimentary meteorites are certainly possible for this reason.

These are not internet articles you just Google. They are published papers.

The density of martian sandstone comes from Mars rover data.

FYI I refrained myself from being rude, but your questions are clearly written to insult me AGAIN. Even though at this point. There is nothing left of this to give to this community. I simply found it strange at first how non answers and completely unrelated personal bs trumps the research I simply pointed you all to reference. I could see the ticker showing none of you reading it. Yet here we are, right back where this began, 

The things I said, are true. 

For example;

A sandstone creates a mm thick crust similar to a fusion crust except it is not created by melt, instead the sand grains heat up and first turn red. And the white/translucent. 

Why? Because its sand and the mineral is basically cooked.

4 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Derek Erstelle?  Being an "expert" at finding meteorites is not a replacement for proper meteorite identification.

There are a few finds from Manitoba, but no strewn fields that I can find documented, please cite the known strewn fields.

Seems that all the meteorites from that region are irons, please share what makes them "totally unique".

Come back with a proper meteorite identification and classification, it's a fairly straight forward process.

uh proof that nothing I say, even though its fact is looked at seriously by clowns.

9 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

no Graham Young. He is the initial contact and yes agrees this is not a normal sandstone. Which you all claim it is. But he is a PhD and you people jjust dont like me, so you think its been a big joke.

2 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

Im fricking wrong because this guy doesn't understand why what i just stated is fact. 

I didn't say you were wrong.  I don't know, and couldn't care less.  :inocent:

If your 'fact' is so true, then why are you here trying to prove it to us?

The title of your topic asks a question.  It doesn't reveal the classification of your 'space rock'.

If you are so sure it is what you think it is, you'll take it to someone who can give you a definitive answer.

The museum curator you mentioned doesn't seem to have the qualifications you require.

https://manitobamuseum.ca/main/collections-research/meet-our-curators/graham-young/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

I didn't say you were wrong.  I don't know, and couldn't care less.  :inocent:

If your 'fact' is so true, then why are you here trying to prove it to us?

The title of your topic asks a question.  It doesn't reveal the classification of your 'space rock'.

If you are so sure it is what you think it is, you'll take it to someone who can give you a definitive answer.

The museum curator you mentioned doesn't seem to have the qualifications you require.

https://manitobamuseum.ca/main/collections-research/meet-our-curators/graham-young/

So :you're" opinion is greater than the whiteshell expert. Which he is, for geology as well unfortunately.  

And im not tryi g to prove it to you, i was working to prive it to people in general but now I grow plants with it so its basically useless to you anyways and another dead end in this long sedimentary arc. 

I dont expect that any rubes will understand. 

Are you all imca members 

• Haha 1

Whether or not you are wrong has nothing to do with me. :shhhhh:

If I'm understanding you correctly...  You gave up and planted it in your garden like you were told, but still want to argue about it?

Personally, I find it difficult to take seriously anyone who can't use the the word 'your' in the correct manner.  Hate to be a grammar nazi, but words matter.  Especially in science.

Don't worry about me, I can find plenty of 'heavy' sandstone to fill my garden.  Thanks.  :)

• well done 1
8 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

So here you have it, 

Listen to me. 

Dr John anfinogenova, his paper which is one of the earliest to propose a devastating planetary event that cause mass mayhem in our solar system. And lays out, sedimentary meteorites are certainly possible for this reason.

FYI I refrained myself from being rude, but your questions are clearly written to insult me AGAIN. Even though at this point. There is nothing left of this to give to this community. I simply found it strange at first how non answers and completely unrelated personal bs trumps the research I simply pointed you all to reference. I could see the ticker showing none of you reading it. Yet here we are, right back where this began, 

For example;

A sandstone creates a mm thick crust similar to a fusion crust except it is not created by melt, instead the sand grains heat up and first turn red. And the white/translucent. 

So correct me if im wrong, because i am definitely not an expert in this field, but doesn't sand or 'Silica' basically turn into glass when it is heated to around 3000 degrees? What would the temperature be at point of entry into the Earth's atmosphere? My thoughts would be that if it was a Sandstone of some sort that entered  the Earth's atmosphere, it would look more like like a chunk of melted or conglomerated glass around the outer edge. Just a thought 🤔

• Like 1
  • well done 1
16 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

It may be funny that I found this but speaking on the completely crusted specimen it was a perfect match and all agreed. Suddenly when sandstone became the interior it was impossible. But evidence of what happens to sandstone during atmospheric entry shows 1. Terrestrial sandstone can withstand entry

2 that it will discoler white and dislodge instead of melt really. 

3. The red also matches the rollover lip, it was deeply burnt ant circled the tail feature. It was a dead ringer.

Edit that Martian sandstone is heavier. 

And the leading expert in the manitoba whiteshell (which is a totally unique strewn field) says himself it was bizarre and not normal. And also notably VERY heavy. Everybody that has held it is surprised its VERY dense and metallic even when i smacked it with my hammer.

10 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

So here you have it, 

Listen to me. 

For example;

uh proof that nothing I say, even though its fact is looked at seriously by clowns.

no Graham Young. He is the initial contact and yes agrees this is not a normal sandstone. Which you all claim it is. But he is a PhD and you people jjust dont like me, so you think its been a big joke.

6 hours ago, Odinxgen said:

So :you're" opinion is greater than the whiteshell expert. Which he is, for geology as well unfortunately.  

And im not tryi g to prove it to you, i was working to prive it to people in general but now I grow plants with it so its basically useless to you anyways and another dead end in this long sedimentary arc. 

I dont expect that any rubes will understand. 

Are you all imca members 

Don't pay any attention to him guys. He's obviously nothing but a troll just trying to stir up things of which he knows nothing about. 

If you just ignore him, he'll just go away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1