Nugget Shooter Forums
Odinxgen

Could this be a sandstone meteorite, Seriously

27 minutes ago, Odinxgen said:

Look up olivine 

Look up olivine in granite

• Like 1

I see! I mean maybe its A granite with olivine, Sandstone is basically natures cement right?

1405 16.06.15_2 dunite 9 cm.jpg

9567a0d369d067a1ebcc6c334b4fea92.jpg

peridot-natural-olivine.jpg

The first one does kind of look like the Interior? That is Dunite Idk the second one and the third is basically Peridot.

But its color varies and That could explain the Red sand and the copper/goldish sand/crystal (idk) Because Iron will oxidize and in turn effect the crystal. 

May be biotite.  Or schorl

Sandstone can be cemented on a large or small scale.  Some carbonate helps here as  does the amount of pressure involved. Throw in a lot of both and you get a very hard sandstone. Neither, and you have a sand dune.

Add extreme pressure and you get a quartzite countertop  and island for about 4000$ installed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Odinxgen said:

Sandstone is basically natures cement right?

Not really. I think that title goes to limestone type rocks derived from shells and various organisms.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Not really. I think that title goes to limestone type rocks derived from shells and various organisms.

I mean yeah, But it was tounge in cheek :yuckyuck: 

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

May be biotite.  Or schorl

Sandstone can be cemented on a large or small scale.  Some carbonate helps here as  does the amount of pressure involved. Throw in a lot of both and you get a very hard sandstone. Neither, and you have a sand dune.

Add extreme pressure and you get a quartzite countertop  and island for about 4000$ installed

But we are talking Ultra fine crystals, you can see them in some of the close ups, mm's mate

25 minutes ago, Odinxgen said:

Probably idk 5-7 mm avg

I think you are going to win the day.  Already at 2 pages for a 21 hour old topic.

• Like 1

Link doesn't work for me on the lonely road one.

• Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

Link doesn't work for me on the lonely road one.

Shoot, Sorry Buddy!

Posted (edited)

Now that i`ve seen the video mixed the convincing music, I have no doubt that this is an extremely rare meteorite !  Not from Mars though, from much further and beyond ......

Edited by adam
  • Sad 1

Adam I don't mind that you are making fun of me, I'm laying all of this out for others down a similar road and if you feel like calling me crazy do it! I am crazy! but None of you here can or have proven it's not anymore (Quite less so) than I can claim it is. FACTS, Facts, and science my friend!!!

Posted (edited)

Odinxgen,

Your boulder has all the characteristics of common weathered sandstone with a typical leached limestone white crust. There are no sandstone meteorites.  The rock has no visual characteristics of meteoritic rock. It is entirely terrestrial. It is not from Mars.

Your enthusiasm is amazing. Get opportunities to visit meteorite collections and examine up close different types of authenticated meteorites to learn their characteristics. We all started where you are and slowly learned the difference between meteor-wrongs and meteorites.

Keep at it and you may be successful at finding real meteorites.

Keep looking down. They're out there.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billpeters said:

Odinxgen,

Your boulder has all the characteristics of common weathered sandstone with a typical leached limestone crust. There are no sandstone meteorites.  The rock has no visual characteristics of meteoritic rock. It is entirely terrestrial. It is not from Mars.

Your enthusiasm is amazing. Get opportunities to visit meteorite collections and examine up close different types of authenticated meteorites to learn their characteristics. We all started where you are and slowly learned the difference between meteor-wrongs and meteorites.

Keep at it and you may be successful at finding real meteorites.

Keep looking down. They're out there.

billpeters

Billpeters, 

Amazing! thanks for the inspiration! But That is just not true Sandstone meteorites do exist and the claims are according to the research posted they may only be locatable in antartica because of the resemblance they MAY have to our very own. My opinion has not changed. While I recognize that the sheer number of the odds are staggering against ME. BUT If you where to cover this in a thin black crust and take away the sandstone exterior and This would be considered a meteorite beyond a doubt. Now I may not have a lot of experience I am not oblivious to this as I have been very closely examining this because the fact is There is clearly a erosion pattern And the only two possibilities I can think of, possibly in my naïveness is that either water or atmospheric entry are possible excluding external forces applied by man IE the nutting stone theory. Is it not strange to anybody here that there is no closely related image not only with the imprints themselves but the staining that such erosion would cause. All of this and the fact that the minerals inside the stone line up with Martian meteorites anyways I donot know the variances of sandstone so I am 100% only showing where my investigations into this sandstone have led me After seeing the possible orientation and the evidence that will only serve to back this up first hand I can say that based on the erosion patterns this rock would have had to stand up fully exposed in a strong current , air or awater on a face that could not in any conceivable way have held up a rock as heavy as this against such a current. We ALL know this is sandstone, and I hope from now on to have answers detailing these questions because I know what I seen when I found this I know what it looks like and I AM willing to accept that it is not a meteorite. But I will not except that until I know for sure. So toss your hat in the race and we will see exactly what can be PROVEN. 

But Facts, Like martian sediment contains Olivine (And the green is not limestone, its crystalized) and pyroxene, feldspar Are important! How could any of us here ignore the clues that are left in this rock. Listen I appreciate all of the knowledge that I am gaining here right now but much of what has been said opposing this is just as helpful to the identification of this sandstone, Ie arknrose, quartzite ect as it is harming to the idea that because it's not a typical meteorite crust all of this should be trashed. YES it is different, That's the point, It won't look like a typical meteorite, And this friction that I am encountering can be lessened for future hunters if we truly discuss these things. I have no doubt that if somebody else had found one, and it really was a meteorite it would be discarded to this day because we all don't know what to look for. You can claim it's not all day long, just like I can claim it is. But can we PROVE that visually this is just an ordinary sandstone. THAT SHOULD BE EASY. But this F*** thing is like pandora's box it keeps pumping out more clues that its not terrestrial. 

The content of these posts makes me think someone has taken a second name registering twice on this board, being braver with the second name.

• wow 1

This is a native American nutting stone, which I believe is the most likely ID, Other than it being an amazing way to get an active sedimentary meteiorite conversation going! =)

thRXS4MP1H.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

The content of these posts makes me think someone has taken a second name registering twice on this board, being braver with the second name.

Not me I am legit =)! check me out!

"How could any of us here ignore the clues that are left in this rock", Odinxgen. 

"Sandstone is a sedimentary rock composed mostly of quartz sand, but it can also contain significant amounts of feldspar, and sometimes silt and clay."

"Accessory minerals are all other mineral grains in a sandstone; commonly these minerals make up just a small percentage of the grains in a sandstone. Common accessory minerals include micas (muscovite and biotite), olivinepyroxene, and corundum.[4][5] Many of these accessory grains are more dense than the silicates that make up the bulk of the rock. These heavy minerals are commonly resistant to weathering and can be used as an indicator of sandstone maturity through the ZTR index.[6] Common heavy minerals include zircontourmalinerutile (hence ZTR), garnetmagnetite, or other dense, resistant minerals derived from the source rock."

The white crust is limestone or a calcium product.

Cheers.

billpeters