Nugget Shooter Forums
Electrician

Which MD, I'm struggling

I finally have a decent budget for an MD, narrowed my choices down to 3 -

1. Garret ATX

2. Minelab Equinox 800

3. Minelab Gold Monster 1000

And I'm stuck ... 

What’s your mission set? Prospecting, relic hunting, coin shooting at a park?

• Like 2

My opinion , for Gold...Gold Monster...  For a mix, gold , coin , relic...Equinox all the way...

Watch some of Bill's videos...they answer lots of questions.

• Like 2

Picking your first detector is hard, I remember doing it.  Without knowing what you want to do with it though, any recommendation I would give would just be a guess.  Let us know what you want the detector for and the areas you plan on using it, that'll give everyone a better idea of what would be the best for you.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Uses:

GOLD ONLY - No relic/coin hunting

Where:

Arizona deserts and mountains

Edited by Electrician

Easy then, 

I’d go with the gold monster. I have both the equinox and gold monster and like them both but prefer the gold monster when it comes to detecting nuggets. Plus the  learning curve is really short especially if you watch Bills YouTube videos.

• Like 4

Any info on the PI unit?

Isn't it preferred over the VLF machines in areas like we have in Arizona (high mineralization)?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Electrician said:

in areas like we have in Arizona (high mineralization)?

Who told you that ? 

I use a Gold Bug II and it hates highly mineralized ground, but  for some reason , I`ve found a few grams with it. 

Edited by adam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yep just a few grams, haha.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, adam said:

Who told you that ? 

I use a Gold Bug II and it hates highly mineralized ground, but  for some reason , I`ve found a few grams with it. 

Well, I can see that I'm in the wrong place. You must be related to Clay ... I'm out ... 

• wow 1

1 hour ago, Electrician said:

Well, I can see that I'm in the wrong place. You must be related to Clay ... I'm out ... 

I think Adam was just making the point that even though its mineralized, you can still be VERY successful with a VLF. Just learn the machine.

• Like 2

I would go with the equinox simply because it gives you more options. 

On 8/2/2019 at 3:43 AM, Electrician said:

Wow !  I try to share some wisdom ( not that I have much) , and  now this ?    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • wow 2

I've been a regular on this forum for at least 4 years now.

I can't remember one time when someone posted gold found with a Garrett ATX.   :idunno:

No doubt it (ATX) finds gold in the right conditions, but....

If you're only looking for gold, then a dedicated gold machine you should buy.

GM1000.

• Like 5

best advise would be to talk to Bill Southern or go see him.....he can advise.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:43 AM, Electrician said:

That's just Adams way. His sense of humor may be a little different than you're used to. You have to read his posts for awhile to see where he's coming from . . .

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:34 PM, Electrician said:

I finally have a decent budget for an MD, narrowed my choices down to 3 -

1. Garret ATX

2. Minelab Equinox 800

3. Minelab Gold Monster 1000

And I'm stuck ... 

From what I've seen/heard/been told, the big draw on an ATX is that it's water proof. (Heavy?) and a decent PI (for the money) but not a superior, top of the line PI. More of a beach detector than desert. The Nox is quickly growing in popularity; not only with the multi-purpose crowd, but with Professionals, Instructors and users who dislike certain features of the Monster. Example(s): The (constant?) noise a Monster makes and the, "loud, shrill screaming sound it makes which is annoying and fatiguing to have to listen to it all day" The Monster discriminator seems to work on small iron trash, not well on large rusty metal (reads it as a good target)  A common problem with detectors.

The Nox seems to be able to handle mineralization pretty well. The multiple frequency concept is being credited (so I'm told), with smoothing out the threshold sounds and signals of normal ground noise. In a head to head competition, both the Nox and the Monster find gold. Most regular users appear to like both machines, ie; whichever one they own. Personally, I have only observed the Monster in the field finding gold. With the small coil, it's a vaacum cleaner. 

• Like 1

Garrett used to be at the forefront of metal detecting technology but have fell by the wayside to minelab. Either the monster or the equinox will be your best option with the latter being my choice. 

If you're really serious about this hobby, no doubt you'll run into someplace where you wish you had a relic, coin detector. The equinox  gives you that option as well as being a gold detector.

• Like 2

The NOx has to be charged with the whole machine sitting there while you sit waiting because you forgot to charge fully note before

If battery goes bad you have to send the whole machine to minelab for new battery to be installed

GM 1000 can buy extra battery packs or use the holder for alkaline batteries

But why do they sell the control box separately don't they last that long or what

Roger

On 8/1/2019 at 8:03 PM, adam said:

Who told you that ? 

A few hundred grams!! Ha ha 

• Like 2