Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daffy

random crusted rock

back again with another probable meteor wrong, was rock hounding and picked this up somewhere along the way, was sitting in a bucket of random rocks for months before i pulled it out, caught my eye because it has a crust around it,  rare earth magnet on a string is attracted to it, quite heavy for size, started filing one side can see metal in there can take more pics,  random crusted terrestrial rock?

20190729_002053-1.jpg

20190728_231721-1.jpg

20190728_223302.jpg

n.jpg

nn.jpg

20190728_223248-1.jpg

13 hours ago, daffy said:

started filing one side can see metal in there 

If there is metal in there it is a meteorite. 

What we don't see is a picture of a window showing metal. It takes about two minutes to grind a window on a corner and see the matrix. That is what will tell the tale.

When you were "filing" it what color was the material that came off?

IMHO the "crust" looks more like a weathered cortex than friction smoothing. But if I found a rock like that that was attracted to a magnet I would cut a window and look for metal flakes. If you have metal flakes inside that rock you have a meteorite. So show us some metal flakes!

• Like 2

got a lot of metal flakes dry and wet pics, not the best camera sorry

20190729_170306.jpg

20190729_170609.jpg

nnn.jpg

• Like 1

video is just as bad quality as the pics but you can see the tiny flakes of metal sparkling, going to be so happy if it is a meteorite, been looking for years, would actually be a dream come true lol

34 minutes ago, daffy said:

video is just as bad quality as the pics but you can see the tiny flakes of metal sparkling, going to be so happy if it is a meteorite, been looking for years, would actually be a dream come true lol

Chrondules?

It does not appear to be a meteorite to me.

• Like 2

why is it not a meteorite? lol my uneducated tired eyes see a meteorite lol :p please share your wisdom so i don't keep looking for the wrong rocks lol :) got a few other rocks ill get around to posting some day, my hands shake a lot and im awful with taking photos so might take a while 67604443_408782769982377_593662415869470

It appears to be water worn smooth, not ablated in the atmosphere.  The matrix doesn't look like a meteorite, and the shiny specs you see do not resemble the metal flecks in meteorites.  The exterior coating resembles an oxidation coating and does not look like fusion crust.

• Like 1

thanks for the info you legend. took pics of one more of the meteor wrongs lol may as well get told im wrong twice in a day lol had this one for a few years, the patterns in it are cool

20190729_225731-1.jpg

20190729_230030.jpg

20190729_225658-1.jpg

20190729_225859-1.jpg

7 hours ago, daffy said:

got a lot of metal flakes dry and wet pics, not the best camera sorry

Those are not metal flakes. That is the disconnect in your identification method.

What you have is sub-metallic. Not metallic. The differences between metallic and sub-metallic is subtle but once you figure it out it is a 99% sure-fire identification tool. 

It is not free iron. It is a mineral form of iron. It is sub-metallic. It is either hematite or magnetite. Both can be magnetic. Magnetite is always magnetic, hematite only occasionally. The color of the filings that it made when you cut the window will determine exactly which of these minerals it is. Hematite grinds with a red color and magnetite with a grey.

Once you expose a window it is easy to tell if what you are seeing is native iron specks. If you have native iron specks you have a meteorite. Simple as that. If you do not have metal flecks the chances that you have one is slim. And the filings of the inside of a meteorite are watery tan or milky with no real color presented. Terrestrial mineral iron produces a definite red or grey streak. 

The crust is cool. I would have picked it up and cut a window in it too.

• Like 3

thanks so much for the info guys :) i really appreciate it. definitely not going to give up on my meteorite dream haha, so ill be back next time i find a cool rock lol will be doing a lot more research, just difficult looking at pics online and trying to get an idea, would be easier looking at real meteorites, but no one i know has any lol, and i only got a little piece of an iron not crusted or anything :( anyway thanks again, i love this forum.

Posted (edited)

The visual method of identifying a meteorite is the least determinative method, it is fine for those specimens that are obvious, however, a simple cursory look at examples of all of the different classes of meteorites should tell you that visual identification is not an exact science, specific scientific test are required in order to be absolutely certain, this also implies that the same can be said of making the conclusion that it is not a meteorite from visual observation alone.

I always advocate that some test be conducted on any specimen suspected of being a meteorite above the naked eye exam.

Edited by Meteorite Tester

To newbies:. Please take your photos outdoors in natural light.  True color and other features that will identify what your suspect stone might be, will be more apparent in sunlight.

if you want to window a suspect stone quickly in the field,  get a "Sharpening Sone" from Harbor Freight Tools for a few bucks, and keep it in your pack.  Home Depot has one also, but charges about ten dollars.  Makes a nice window effortlessly, in less than a minute.  Low tech, low cost, extremely effective.

I personally would not even bother to window rounded river-rock, or common ironstone, but it is all part of the learning curve.

Good Hunting to All.

• Like 1