Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Aufinder777

Help ID Ore Specimens ( Krennerite ? Calaverite?

Recommended Posts

I am going crazy trying to confirm I believe these specimens are gold Calaverite or Krennerite from everything I can see but I need assistance, any one who really knows Telluride ores ore rare gold isotopes Calaverite Please please look closely at these pics 

Thank you !! Thank you

20190715_213238.jpg

20190715_205645.jpg

20190715_201347.jpg

20190715_202536.jpg

20190715_205425.jpg

20190715_204631.jpg

20190715_201505.jpg

20190715_201546.jpg

20190715_203604.jpg

20190715_200553.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really hard to tell exactly what you have just by looking at the pictures. If you really think you have something that valuable, your best option is to chip off a few samples and send them out for an assay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It's really hard to tell exactly what you have just by looking at the pictures. If you really think you have something that valuable, your best option is to chip off a few samples and send them out for an assay.

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It's really hard to tell exactly what you have just by looking at the pictures. If you really think you have something that valuable, your best option is to chip off a few samples and send them out for an assay.

good advice I guess Ill go with what's visible gold etc, sample and acid test ,maybe test pan for yield,  and then take it further for assay if it seems worth it. That is the kind of ore/rocks around my house and I was trying to compare a million look alike photos on google but I will go with the normal proven method thank you !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really see any free gold in the picture, just rust covered quarts.

Last time I checked to do an assay, would have cost me $50 including shipping.  If there is that much visible gold in the rock, it will be well worth the assay.  Bringing a chip to a pawn shop for XRF analysis could be worth it.  Some do it for free, others for a price, some not at all.

On a rumor of telluride in my area, I looked into the process of cooking it, which was doable, but besides being afraid of killing myself as the sulfides cook off, I never did find any telluride.  Telluride and Calverite are not really isotopes, but Sulfides.  Getting the Sulphur out of a sulfide is very, very difficult. It's easier with today's processes, but easier than it used to be.  Old timers may have given up on what you found and can be processed today.

If you are located towards a known source of Krennite  or Calverite, that could be in your favor.  A search of something like Minedat could reveal something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you

I appreciate your input about your comment no free gold. MMMM ? Maybe these pics dont look the same on different devices or im confused on what free gold looks like in this ore /rock specimen anyways here is 2 more closer up pics 1st pic and the 6th pc and just a few spots I put arrows or circled where I see free gold but, I thought /think there is gold (alot all over ) but heck I could be wrong I have been very confused about this ore ore rocks whatever , some of these looked white or even blue when I dug them out and im pretty sure they are radioactive alot at times because my arms will get weird red or yellowish purple splotching just being near sometimes or handling them briefely there is a big uranium mine less than 4 miles from my house, these rocks seem to affect each other when i wash one off and place it next to another the other will react almost immediately in some way color changes etc, I looked up alot of reasons and best t can figure is the chain fission reaction ? I should forget about them and move on to regular placer gold or whatever but I have to find out for my own mind / money if this just dangerous ore  ore super valuable ore ...I am thinking its not good stuff anyway a;ot of weird stuff I wont go on about has made me believe on the radioactive side i am better to stay clear if this stuff.

gold 100 kilo rock close up (2).jpg

gold 100 kilo rock close up (3).jpg

6th photo1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 7:57 AM, chrisski said:

I don't really see any free gold in the picture, just rust covered quarts.

Last time I checked to do an assay, would have cost me $50 including shipping.  If there is that much visible gold in the rock, it will be well worth the assay.  Bringing a chip to a pawn shop for XRF analysis could be worth it.  Some do it for free, others for a price, some not at all.

On a rumor of telluride in my area, I looked into the process of cooking it, which was doable, but besides being afraid of killing myself as the sulfides cook off, I never did find any telluride.  Telluride and Calverite are not really isotopes, but Sulfides.  Getting the Sulphur out of a sulfide is very, very difficult. It's easier with today's processes, but easier than it used to be.  Old timers may have given up on what you found and can be processed today.

If you are located towards a known source of Krennite  or Calverite, that could be in your favor.  A search of something like Minedat could reveal something.

Thank You for responding I like your advice :) I ordered a acid test kit online and gonna break up some and check it to see If I want to worry about bothering with it anymore

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I know a few to many  pics could be leaver right lol  BUT THE PICK BELOW IS OF ONE THAT AINT LEAVER RIGHT its passed ever acid test and is 12inches by 14 inches by 8 inch thick detector goes crazy every where on with my pointer no  magnet does not stick anywhere on it  where just in silver content worse case would be like 5k in silver alone at the risk of me getting 1/2 of spot it weighs  68lbs pioc bei agree with you on the others not the bip below no way its a leaver  right I am getting it assay by fire ill know soon ty you though your right on all the rest for sure not sure what i was smokin yhat day but im sure it had to have been reall good lol  have a good one bro i ...i do appreciate your opinion and input :)

specimen.jpg

20190805_125630 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's that much silver in it, then it's only finding a refiner for it.  There's some info in here on one local to mehttp://tcbinter.com/,  I had some samples I thought might contain silver.  Never had them assayed or sent them in.  At about $16.50 per ounce, I figure there's a lot of it around, just not in quantities that are economical to process.  For processing ores, usually there's a fixed price to process and a minimum amount, which can be huge.  That's why you don't see people carrying out copper ore on donkey's anymore.

As far as the uranium you mentioned earlier, I thought I found some by some uranium claims in my area.  Uranium sells for like $25 to $35 per pound, processed, not raw ore.  That is nothing a small miner can do on his own.  Whether or not it's worth the risk of developing what you found, that's up to you.

You've done pretty well as a hard rock guy.  Silver, gold, and Uranium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chrisski said:

If there's that much silver in it, then it's only finding a refiner for it.  There's some info in here on one local to mehttp://tcbinter.com/,  I had some samples I thought might contain silver.  Never had them assayed or sent them in.  At about $16.50 per ounce, I figure there's a lot of it around, just not in quantities that are economical to process.  For processing ores, usually there's a fixed price to process and a minimum amount, which can be huge.  That's why you don't see people carrying out copper ore on donkey's anymore.

As far as the uranium you mentioned earlier, I thought I found some by some uranium claims in my area.  Uranium sells for like $25 to $35 per pound, processed, not raw ore.  That is nothing a small miner can do on his own.  Whether or not it's worth the risk of developing what you found, that's up to you.

You've done pretty well as a hard rock guy.  Silver, gold, and Uranium.

Just for the sake of discussion...

Generally a "refiner" will not accept ore. Only metals. At the very least ore must go through a reduction process in order for a refiner to accept it. Refiners don't do minerals of any kind.

There are very few places where you can get custom processing done on quantities less than many tons and it is very expensive. That is the conundrum. Rich ore of any kind (except free milling gold ore and placer) is virtually worthless to the individual. Even if he found a quantity of it. Only in rare cases could the individual find a market for it unless they were a professional that had deep connections in the corporate world.

Rocks and ore samples are not valuable for the metals they contain. There is no market for metals ore produced by (most) individuals. They are only valuable as specimens. Free gold is probably the only exception to that rule and that is debatable. The only reason free gold ore is valuable (aside from a specimen) is that reduction requires only crushing and gravity to produce a salable product. Reduction is simple but is still required to sell as a metal and not a specimen.

A hunk of nice silver ore (or other specimen), in a nice presentation box, properly labeled and identified with an authentic assay is a valuable product that can be readily marketed. A dozen dump trucks of the same ore is virtually worthless in its metal value.

So if these rocks are indeed what the finder suspects them to be they are only valuable as a mineral specimen. That is the very first lesson a successful prospector learns after finding a good rock.

So let's get real about how a prospector goes about marketing his finds.  It has nothing to do with refiners or the value of the metals unless he is steadily producing tons of material and has a contract with a smelter to buy the raw ore.

I'm just trying to keep it real. I realize that is a huge bummer but that is what a prospector does and how he markets what he finds. You will do a lot better selling prepared pieces at the gem shows, or wholesaling them to someone who does. Smelters and refiners are not a realistic market for anything the small prospector might find.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 4:59 AM, Aufinder777 said:

I guess Ill go with what's visible gold etc, sample and acid test ,maybe test pan for yield,  and then take it further for assay if it seems worth it

Absolutely  !!  I am amazed by your rare finds , and am so jealous of your luck, and ability to find this Gold Ore !   Will you please tell us what state you found it in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adam said:

Absolutely  !!  I am amazed by your rare finds , and am so jealous of your luck, and ability to find this Gold Ore !   Will you please tell us what state you found it in?

Yes I found it in Forest falls near big bear where i am but I have been homeless off on 10 years I look and explore everyday but I am fighting too hard and  getting no where ....they say alot of gold came out of holcomb valley near here but I REALLY RESEARCHED it after ilooked everywhere not finding jack diddly .....There are stories mainly and a lot of people claimed mines out here but mainly just an insane amount ofpeople murdered everyday here (back then i mean and most mines bought were funded from deep pockets somewhere else but llooked and you know therer is only one pic of a old mine thats the tour people get succked into here the lucky Baldwin it was called there not one pic anywhere of gold now or then on internetthere is oneextremely fake vdeo by some guy peppering his pan to make it look goood ut to many people called him out on it so yes and not one pic of any gold heck usgs reports cant even tell you host rocks the gold came from one says brecia  well daaaa!!!! lol ...I like those guys in canada 911 vids are good ...use to get fed up of Jeff Williams but now luv his vids he knows his stuff ...your smart too read your profile ....we will get that massive nugget or paystreak its a matter of time in my opinion ....I am gonna only =concentrate on big pastb gold producers sample like crazy and get a better detector ....thanks for the advice and compliments Adam i think extremely highly of dave mckracken and the new 49ers they are allways on the gold there it seems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many good points here, I too found gold in Holcomb Valley many years ago. <> Human time, not geological time as in epochs or some such thing.  Generally I have found insights offered here by some members to be worthy of serious consideration.  I know Adam for example is a respected fellow in the arena of sniffing out placer gold deposits as is his pal Wade I think, and that Bedrock fellow from NM also is a wise and cunning fellow, he has probably forgotten more about iron meteorites and ironing boards than anyone on these here forums, not many NASA veterans on here. ...  I would urge you to be open to the insights these fellows may offer, as they have serious credibility with members of this community.  Maybe Fred or Mr. Wet/Dry washer will chime in as well and we can drag a few poodles into the conversation...  It has been a long day so thank you.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...