Nugget Shooter Forums

Location to MD for some gold

Hello,

I recently got the Gold Bug 2, and took it out a few times, found lots of tinny trash and crap but gold. So I am getting familiar with my detector. I also went up to San Gabriel and stayed in the river banks from parking lot, of course found bunch of led and  trash plus small iron pieces. 

My question is, where in Southern CA I can go metal detect and maybe find something? Desert, rivers, mountains etc), Maybe more what are the better known locations ppl were successful finding gold. I live in Dana Point. 

Maybe if anyone reads this and would be interested in teaming up and go have some fun, I am free any time.

Thanks,

Petr

I have been told that a man should look for outcroppings carved into the shape of manicured poodles. These poodles are said to mark where the Spanish found great wealth. 

If you can't find any mountains carved into the shape of poodles then a prospecting club would be a great place to get your foot in the door. I made a trip to Southern California years ago and kicked around the San Gabriel area a bit. No poodles. So I hit a couple GPAA claims and managed to find a few specks of gold not very far from Big Bear lake. I just followed the directions in the claims guide.

No doubt there are lots of good places in your area but the learning curve is going to be slow unless you meet folks. A club is probably the best way to do that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best suggestion if you are unfamiliar with area terrain is to join a club. There are lots of small clubs throughout the gold country. The biggest is the GPAA. It is cheap to join and there is a lot to gain from doing so. Beyond that NO ONE is going to give you a specific location. :old:

• Like 2

Research research research then prospect.  80% Research 20% Prospect.  I suggest reading Chris Ralph’s book Fists Full of Gold.  This will help you get started and be a reference beyond that.  Also get out anywhere and practice with your detector (coins, jewelry, garbage, whatever...). Just to learn how to really use and not turn on and go.  Join a local club for sure to start.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I second the motion to read Chris Ralph's book. :rolleyes: (since that's me).  Its available on Amazon - Fists Full of Gold is the title.
Perhaps the best area to detect in southern California is the El Paso Mountains area. (Goler Gulch, etc.) 
Yes, its a fair ways up 395 from Dana point, but people do find gold there.
Another location is in the area of the Dale district. Farther out is the Chocolate Mtns / Cargo Muchacho / Potholes area, and people find gold there too.
All these areas have plenty of existing claims. Join some clubs to get access.
The trash and bullets are a product of people being there. You live in a highly populated area, and places where a lot of people have been over the years will be shot up and trashy.

After reading my book, your second book should be California mineral resources bulletin 193 - gold districts of California. You can buy a paper copy or if you search the internet you will find a downloadable copy for free. Read this and you will learn loads on the gold districts of California.

A couple more things that new guys need to know - 1) Gold sells for more than $1400 an ounce because its rare. Its hard to find. Be patient and dont set your expectations super high. 2) Gold prospecting is a skill - one that is learned by working at it, just like learning to be a plumber or an electrician are skills that require work and effort to learn. You wont become a successful prospector merely from owning a good detector any more than buying a pipe wrench will make you a journeyman plumber. Learning a new skill takes time.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

I have been told that a man should look for outcroppings carved into the shape of manicured poodles. These poodles are said to mark where the Spanish found great wealth. 

Ahhh, the manicured Poodle.  No wonder I cannot find any gold.  I've been looking for the manicured Maltese.  Stupid me!

I second the comments on joining a club for starters.

Andyy

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1