Nugget Shooter Forums

Just a couple quick questions for people more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. I just want to know.

1: Is Jasper worth collecting lots of

2: Is it worth going out and hunting it? 

3: Is bright red better than darker red?

4: Is a solid red with no breaking lines          better than brecciated Jasper?

5: should jasper stones be a minimum          size before they are worth keeping?

6: Is there a specific kind of jasper I              should be looking for if I do hunt for          it? 

Sorry if any or all of these questions sound stupid. I have been finding a fair bit of jasper lately and was hoping to get some info. 

Also if someone could post some photos of some good quality red jasper that would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1. Depends on the jasper.

2. What do you mean by worth it? If you’re looking to collect and sell it, then you’ve got to be careful. Collecting from public lands to sell is against the law. In order to do that you have to stake a claim and pay all the fees. If you’re just looking to collect for your own collection, then how much do you really need? 

3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

5. Depends on what you plan on doing with them. If you’re tumbling, just about any size will work. If you’re cutting to make cabs, they should be at at least a couple inches in diameter.

6. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

• Like 1

I think I was asking the wrong questions. Let's try these questions

1: what is commonly more desirable            in pieces of jasper?

2: what is an example of quality jasper        (photo please)

3: what kind of jasper is better polished?

4: would you actively go out hunting for it?

5: between solid red jasper and brecciated jasper is one better than the other in some way?

11 hours ago, pRoDiEuS said:

I think I was asking the wrong questions. Let's try these questions

1: what is commonly more desirable            in pieces of jasper?

2: what is an example of quality jasper        (photo please)

3: what kind of jasper is better polished?

4: would you actively go out hunting for it?

5: between solid red jasper and brecciated jasper is one better than the other in some way?

1. Colors and patterns that would be attractive in jewelry or as a good luck piece.

2. Any solid piece of stone that has an attractive pattern and is free of flaws and cracks. There are plenty of photos of nice jasper out there for you to view.

3. Different stones take a polish better than others. Jasper is generally an easy stone to bring up a high polish. I am not sure there are different "kinds" of jasper. Some people may find one "kind" more beautiful than another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. When you have a customer that likes the red better, then the red is the most valuable. If your buyer likes the brecciated pieces then those are the pieces that are best. I have found some grey and pink striped pieces that people really like. So some jasper is better than others. Obviously the pieces with unique patterns and colors are more valuable than those that do not have great character.

The most valuable jasper it the one that goes with the lady's eyes or sets off the pattern in her new top. It is generally not the "type" that matters but how appealing the individual stone is and the item (if any) that is made from it. 

• Like 2

Beautiful rock. Lots of that north of Cave Creek in Arizona. I saw a vein (Jasp-Agate) 2 feet thick several years ago. Translucence running thru it.  Probably all gone now. Listed in Gem Trails of Arizona by James Mitchell.

• Like 1

1. Pieces that show interesting colors and patterns, and can be fashioned into jewelry.

2. Jasper is extremely common, and there are many examples to be seen online. What constitutes quality is up to the person buying or collecting it.

3. In my opinion, the jaspers that take the best polish are the so called “porcelain jaspers (Bruneau, Morrisonite, Imperial, etc),” but all jaspers take an excellent polish, though those with lots of other minerals (hematite, etc) running through them can be difficult to polish well.

4. I have and do. I even have discovered a variety I call “top secret” jasper, because it’s hard to find and I don’t share its location.

5. As bedrock bob said, the best one is the one your customer wants. Either can be used to create stunning jewelry pieces.

• Like 1

Here are some jasper pics, most from locations I mentioned. The first four are pics I sourced from google. The last two are pieces I collected and cut myself.

1. Bruneau Jasper

2. Morrisonite Jasper

3. Imperial Jasper

4. Willow Creek Jasper

5. Top Secret Jasper

6. Lavic Jasper

5E6E623D-DE44-4E2F-9E2D-B6B73D6532F0.jpeg

14AFA4EB-DFC4-4629-9B77-6141960DBF1E.jpeg

C873E46C-6A99-4092-A36D-028AD0861BCF.jpeg

22E21E97-3903-4B53-A95D-DB1E8FD3E6EB.jpeg

13AC1800-8037-4A21-B401-381C821F3D74.jpeg

E7B6F333-42C3-4D87-8AA1-B0630E59912D.jpeg

Edited by d_day
  • Like 1
  • wow 2
3 minutes ago, 23XLive said:

d_day , the last one is my favorite, beautiful!

I love that one. Sadly, it was a small piece, and the only one I found with that pattern. I really wish I found more.

• Like 1