Absolutely ......

• Like 2

Every single time out.

• Like 3

Every single time out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Electrician said:

Just wondering if you carry while out prospecting/nugget hunting?

Oh boy, here we go    .....:rolleyes:

Lets talk about what kind of gun everyone carries too, and why ...   

Edited by adam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I carry a drywasher on a backpack frame and I also carry a gas powered vacuum. I suppose if I had a mule he would carry as well. Hope this answers your question?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes I do, In utah it is illegal  to kill rattlesnakes but we have  mountain lions, bears, and alot of stupid people,  all can try to take your life. I will avoid any conflict if possible,  but i refuse to believe  that my safety is someone else's responsibility  but my own! But to each there own. 9mm  compact hollow points.

Edited by grim1
Finnish on what gun I carry
  • Like 1

Never leave home without it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In the summer I generally carry the rifle I will hunt with in the fall. This season it is a .50 cal. T/C encore. I will carry that rifle through the winter until about March 1 (javelina season). I know what hunt I have drawn in June of each year. The rifle I carry each season is determined by the hunt that I draw. This year it is the beloved muzzle loader.

There is not much need to carry a defense weapon where I live on the border. Just more hassle and weight than it is worth. The good guys are not a threat and the bad guys are trying to avoid detection/conflict at all costs. Their lives depend on it. Then there are the idiots from out of town pretending to be law/military that stay busy painting their faces and wearing camo lingerie. So it is pretty much a conflict free zone outside of town.

I always carry a handgun when on the road though. There is zero threat when you are out in the desert here but in towns like Albuquerque it is a wild west free for all. So where there are drugs, alcohol and people I usually carry a weapon in case my defense strategy fails and I have to go to the last resort. I don't do much prospecting in that area.

I'm not afraid of wildlife. If I have to kill a snake I will use a stick. And seeing a bear or a mountain lion is a great privilege. I certainly would never think about applying for a license to hunt one much less shoot one just because I felt nervous. If a bear tries to eat me I suppose we are going to have to fight it out hand to hand. Unless I leave Oreo cookies in my backpack the chances of that happening are just about the same as alien abduction or lightning strike.

Insects are  much bigger threat than snakes, bears or smugglers. I carry bug wipes and a head net for black gnats. Heat kills more each year than mountian lions have in the last century. And more get shot or get in trouble than will ever actually defend themselves with a gun in a setting like prospecting. So I carry more water and less steel.

An armed man is at a serious disadvantage in any interpersonal conflict because he becomes an armed threat. You just can't have a disagreement while wearing a gun lest you present yourself as a lethal threat and make yourself a target. You are at great risk when interacting with law enforcement too. You are much more likely to become a potential target of law than anyone else when carrying a weapon. Especially here on the border. And the law shoots a lot of guys for no reason other than the perception of a lethal threat.

If you are having a beer and wearing a gun it is usually a crime. Having legal marijuana and a gun will get you 30 years from a federal officer on the border. Those are just a couple of things that wearing a gun really changes. There are many more. So there are some real down sides to wearing a gun in some settings. 

So yeah, I am "carrying". I am loading 200 gr. Hornady .430 dia bullets into a green Knight sabot over 80 grains of Pyrodex. No recoil to speak of and tack driving accuracy out to about 100 yards. Just before the hunt I will switch to 240 grain .430 dia bullets or 300 grain .452 dia bullets and increase the charge to about 110 grains. Plenty to knock over the biggest threat you might encounter out there piddling around in the dirt. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I have spent my entire life trying desperately not to have to kill someone. I am not about to spend much time fantasizing about it while prospecting.
  • Like 4

Here in northern California while out prospecting it is not out of the question to walk into cartel grows that have 5000 to 30000 plants in them. I have walked into them numerous times. Not a good feeling even if you are "carrying". Just back out quickly and quietly and hope nothing happens.

• Like 1

Of course you should carry. Anyone seeing this coming towards you will run the other way.

• Haha 5
  • wow 1

Posted (edited)

The best defense against criminals is a couple fat daughters that need husbands. The kind that will drag a man down and smother him with their giant boobs if they get an arm hooked around a neck. They are truly the most effective defense known.

They are ever vigilant like the best trained guard dog. They are on duty 24/7. Nothing that secretes testosterone can get within a hundred yards of them without them knowing it. They may look slow but they pounce like a cat whenever they see bratwurst. 

Criminals sense it too. They assess the situation and see right away that these girls mean bizness. The bad guys aren't the least bit concerned about Cletus' shotgun or that silly 9mm brother Jethro is packing. They are looking at that big 300 pounder with the freckles in the stretch pants and pink jelly shoes. That sh!t is spooky man. And when she spots him and giggles at her twin sister he knows he better head for the hills. 

It is the ideal biological deterrent. A natural sh!thead repellent.

I have a couple of buddies with aggressive single daughters in the cruiser class and they have no problems with crime at all. No door to door salesmen, no bill collectors, no bums asking for money... not even the flu virus will get close enough to get caught in that web. You can post a crew of vicious pit bulls in the front yard and not get protection like that! 

So there is no use bothering with the complicated gun regulations and the risk of being in a gunfight. Why not sidestep all of that nonsense and get a couple overgrown man-hammers to watch your six while you snap up the nuggets?

:)

Edited by Bedrock Bob
To add a smiley face. Because I was grinning when I typed it.
  • Haha 2
  • wow 2

Bob, that scenario is more than enough to scare even the most notorious criminal on the straight and narrow!! :yikes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In central Arizona, I have never carried and don't feel the need to.  When I was not alone, the other person tended to carry more often than not.

I've never been attacked by coyotes or mountain lions.  Never felt like I was in a situation a gun would have helped.  Snake gaiters are a better investment.  I have seen rattlers, but boots and gaiters provide much more protection against those than a gun.  I walked into a rattler at night with the boots and gaiters on, and I didn't realize until he slid away.  Since I had the protection on, I don't know if he nipped at me or not.  I just know he slithered away perhaps as scared as I was.  Besides snakes, the gaiters provide so much protection from any plant with thorns.  Was always picking them out of my shins until I used these.

Highly doubt you'll run into a poppy field in the desert.  Most places that have a well I've been to are for the open range cattle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chrisski said:

In central Arizona, I have never carried and don't feel the need to.  When I was not alone, the other person tended to carry more often than not.

I've never been attacked by coyotes or mountain lions.  Never felt like I was in a situation a gun would have helped.  Snake gaiters are a better investment.  I have seen rattlers, but boots and gaiters provide much more protection against those than a gun.  I walked into a rattler at night with the boots and gaiters on, and I didn't realize until he slid away.  Since I had the protection on, I don't know if he nipped at me or not.  I just know he slithered away perhaps as scared as I was.  Besides snakes, the gaiters provide so much protection from any plant with thorns.  Was always picking them out of my shins until I used these.

Highly doubt you'll run into a poppy field in the desert.  Most places that have a well I've been to are for the open range cattle.

Well, hopefully you never need one and wished you had it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I always carry. 

My claim is at 4200' in the Bradshaws and bear, lions abound. One such bear is a large boar who's become increasingly brazen, raids camps in the middle of the day. Twice my neighboring miner has chased him out of camp and the last time the bear nearly refused to leave then retreated 100 yards and sat down in the open to watch the camp. I have a couple close up pics of him tearing one of my game cams out of a tree. Being an avid hunter and guide I've had many bear encounters. This bear is a biggin. I estimate his back feet to be 6 1/2" wide.

I notified a buddy who bear hunts and he went out to the claim and managed to call in a different, medium sized bear.

One of the fellows whom worked the gold from my area for almost 30 years beginning back in the 1960s, was murdered for his gold cache and his vehicle stolen, back in the early 90s. His killer's never caught or identified.

Evil abounds, sometimes wearing sheep's clothing. Lions and bears are curious if you or your grandchildren camping there with you, taste like chicken.

Come face to face with this bear of mine or Bill Cannings killer's, good luck talking your way out.

My minimum carry is a 9mm but I'll carry a light AR 15 and my partner takes the 9mm. I'm buying a bear tag this week and do a little calling/glassing. Carrying the Remington .06 for awhile, it was my late fathers.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • well done 1

I dont carry specifically for people. Im more worried about the critters that roam at night out here. BUT.......ya never know!!

Usually carry .44 mag, certain places I carry a rifle

On 7/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, LipCa said:

Here in northern California while out prospecting it is not out of the question to walk into cartel grows that have 5000 to 30000 plants in them. I have walked into them numerous times. Not a good feeling even if you are "carrying". Just back out quickly and quietly and hope nothing happens.

Not only California. And not only plants. Meth is a huge problem in secluded rural areas as well as the cities. There are crack heads, fugitives, and desperado types laying low in the deserts and mountains that may, on any given day or during an accidental encounter, pose a risk to life and limb. It would seem that a reliable means of self defense and self preservation, would be a prudent foresight.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BMc said:

Not only California. And not only plants. Meth is a huge problem in secluded rural areas as well as the cities. There are crack heads, fugitives, and desperado types laying low in the deserts and mountains that may, on any given day or during an accidental encounter, pose a risk to life and limb. It would seem that a reliable means of self defense and self preservation, would be a prudent foresight.

Funny you should mention meth.

I sold a claim this spring in a remote desert location, you've been there. In the ad for the claim, I mentioned 4x4 and aggressive tires needed. Got several calls on it but one asked bizzare questions more worried about concealment than gold. We agreed to meet at the claim so I could show him where the productive spots were but he never showed.

The buyer later met me and my partner at the bank. Soon as he stepped out of his truck and homemade camper combo, my buddy and I both uttered in stereo "methhead." Omg he's buying the claim to manufacture meth.

Edited by Edge

1 minute ago, BMc said:

Those that are familiar with the Bradshaw Mts. of AZ;  Cleator, Bumblebee, Cordes Junction etc. may remember the couple who was murdered some years back, while camping off Highway 17 in the area? It could have happened in the daytime or anytime. Or anywhere . . .

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

Funny you should mention meth.

I sold a claim this spring in a remote desert location, you've been there. In the ad for the claim, I mentioned 4x4 and aggressive tires needed. Got several calls on it but one asked bizzare questions more worried about concealment than gold. We agreed to meet at the claim so I could show him where the productive spots were but he never showed.

The buyer later met me and my partner at the bank. Soon as he stepped out of his truck and homemade camper combo, my buddy and I both uttered in stereo "methhead." Omg he's buying the claim to manufacture meth.

Sorry Edge, If that's the case, I won't be able to go back out there anymore. That was some good ground. Deep overburden, except for that one steep gully on the West side that was on bedrock, but highly mineralized all over. Too bad . . . :)

31 minutes ago, BMc said:

Those that are familiar with the Bradshaw Mts. of AZ;  Cleator, Bumblebee, Cordes Junction etc. may remember the couple who was murdered some years back, while camping off Highway 17 in the area? It could have happened in the daytime or anytime. Or anywhere . . .

I remember the caretaker of the Gold Button mine (also in the Bradshaw's) was found dead in a car trunk. Turns out some meth heads were trying to take over the caretakers job so they killed him.

Those Bradshaw mountains are full of meth heads, cartel grows and vicious Spanish poodles. Only the bravest dare to swing a beeper in those hills. Danger lurks everywhere. It pays to be armed to the teeth at all times. :25r30wi:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Morlock said:

I remember the caretaker of the Gold Button mine (also in the Bradshaw's) was found dead in a car trunk. Turns out some meth heads were trying to take over the caretakers job so they killed him.

Did they get the job?  I am also curious when abouts this incident took place?

Edited by adam
  • Thanks 1