Nugget Shooter Forums
Electrician

ACTIVE Claims - The Diggings vs MyLandMatters ???

I'm searching for active claims and noticed a discrepancy between what is listed as Active between the 2 sites.

Which site is the more CURRENT/Up to Date?

Posted (edited)

How about also checking BLM LR2000 and county recorder?

Land matters is updated regularly so I’d start with that page to get an idea if there are claims in a particular area. There are hyperlinks on the maps to link LR2000 and Country Recorders.

You should probably join a club and learn the basics before blazing out on your own. You can work club claims and not worry about land status while your learning.

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

I generally check them all. I have Minecache, and donate to LM. I find The Diggins to be pretty slow on my PC, so use it the least, though I find it pretty accurate.

Jim

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The currency of Land Matters claims mapping  is listed in the information return for every claim. At present claims information is current as of July 1.

On Monday the 15th of July Land Matters claims maps are scheduled to be updated again. Due to some recent personnel changes the BLM National Operations Center has been having difficulty completing their database work for us on time.  Whether the BLM has problems and delays or not you can always see how current Land Matters claims information is just by clicking on any claim with the "i" tool selected.

I couldn't say about the Diggings. They usually update on the first of each month and a quick look at their site shows the information is current to the last day of June, essentially the same as Land Matters. I don't know if The Diggings update twice monthly like Land Matters.

Claims updates from the BLM are only available twice a month, no mapping system can be more current than that. As Desertpilot pointed out Land Matters provides live links to the BLM Serial Register Page for each claim. If there is a recent change in a claims status in the BLM case file you will see that change on the Serial Register Page first.

Neither Land Matters, The Diggings nor the LR2000 provide enough information to know the current status of claims on the ground. They are just the first step to complete the required due diligence before prospecting. For full due diligence you also need to download and study the Master Title Plat, check for new locations recorded at the county and put boots on the ground to check for new monuments or stakes. Only then can you prospect with confidence that the ground is open and unclaimed.

Edited by clay
  • Like 5