Nugget Shooter Forums

Kali Earthquakes went and got all personal with me...

Uncle Ron

The epicenter of the earthquakes in Kali now  is my old hometown of Trona...Tons of mining in the area and I'm wondering if the two faults where the quakes are now might be a good area to prospect...Hotter than hell and you have to dodge military guards in the area since it is a closed naval weapons area...Many of my friends who still live there have had moderate but expensive damage to their homes...Chimneys toppled, rock walls down, roads and highway cracked badly...In the past 30 or so hours there have been more than 200 quakes ... When I grew up there we had one or two quakes every day ... Only those over about 4.5 mag were even noticed by us ... No quakes in the big AZ!  ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1
  • wow 1

I've been through there a few times in the last 10 years, Ron. isn't that where the hs kids play football on a dirt field?

Jim

Yes, Jim...My Dad was the football coach in Trona and I played there throughout highschool...That sand (not dirt) field gave us Trona boys a huge advantage ...Imagine playing all your fb games on the beach! ... Loved the town and the people but, sadly, it is in such disrepair it's painful to go there now... Cheers, Unc

Wow...The 7.1 quake destroyed a lot of homes in Trona...Several of my lifelong friends there lost their homes and one friend got hit with a cabinet full of dishes that fell on him and he got cut up pretty bad...People were trying to leave but couldn't because the road out was thrashed, broken up and big boulders blocked it....Serious stuff... Unc

• Sad 1
  • wow 2

Ron, my best wishes go out to those affected. During the 1992 Landers 7.9 quake Jeanie and I were in our house when it collapsed around us. Total mess. We were 1/3 mile from the fault line.

• Like 1

I used to spend a ton of time in the Panamints and would stop in Trona for gas and lunch. It’s a bummer seeing all the damage. I suppose allot of the places I used to go underground around there are probably collapsed as well. I wonder if the smelter stack at Panamint City survived? The desert around Trona is really cool.

• Like 1

The people of Trona had a town hall meeting this AM with local and county bureaucrats and it sounded pretty encouraging, all things considered...It appears there's lot of $$$ available from Feds, State and County to help the people and the town rebuild, hopefully bigger and better than the recent "before"... The politicians were extremely encouraging and made lots of promises and much of the $$$ availability info seems pretty legit ... The most encouraging things folks have heard lately and it seems to have lifted spirits ... Apparently there's beaucoup FEMA funds for local infrastructure  and personal regrouping as well!  We all hope!  Cheers, Unc

• Like 4

On 7/6/2019 at 8:42 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

I felt it in New Mexico.

I didn't know Carol King was in New Mexico, Bob...:inocent:...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Ron said:

I didn't know Carol King was in New Mexico, Bob...:inocent:...Cheers, Unc

I think the closest she got was Boulder, Colorado back in the 70's.  

I know I told this story on Nuggetshooter a dozen years ago but here it is again. Just in case someone gets a kick out of it.

Back when that big quake hit Japan and melted that nuclear reactor they said the wave travelled across the entire globe. It was a hundred miles wide and a foot tall. They measured the movement of the wave through New Mexico by how much it disrupted the VLA radio telescope west of Soccorro.

They said the sphere of the earth grew a foot in diameter at the equator from that quake. It actually changed the length of time it takes the earth to do a full rotation by a nanosecond or so. 

Right outside the village of Tecolote, east of Santa Fe there is a big sandstone outcrop. Under the huge blocks of stone there is a layer of bright blue clay. The ancients used to dig the clay from under the rocks and made a big overhang. Years later they built a road right by it. Modern potters go there and park on the side of the road and dig at the two foot wide seam of material. Over the centuries the outcrop has been undermined and is a big sandstone overhang running beside the road for several hundred yards.

The day the shock wave went through New Mexico there was a group of pottery and ceramic artists from Santa Fe filling buckets with clay. They had just finished grubbing a few buckets each from under the giant blocks of sandstone. These blocks were as big as doublewide mobile homes and had been undermined 10-12 feet. 

The folks were sitting there on the side of the road having a sandwich and getting ready to drive back to town when two of these giant slabs broke off and slid into the excavation. The sides of those slabs were just inches away from the vehicles parked on the shoulder. I'm talking a 12 foot cliff 40 feet long suddenly breaking off and sliding down the hill. It stopped at the bar ditch.

I was driving back from Las Vegas (New Mexico) and was passing that spot a few minutes after the slabs fell. I was listening to the PBS station and they were talking about the quake and the shock wave and all that. There were a dozen people all standing on the road and several cars stopped. It was quite a scene.

I am convinced that shock wave gave those big slabs just enough push to collapse. I checked out the reports from the USGS and the stuff at NOAA and the timing was pretty much right on. You gotta figure a big azz vibration like that flowing through the earth is going to knock a lot of stuff loose that is not bolted down right.

Anyhoo, as I was driving away they were playing Carole King's tune. I hear that song every time I think of an earthquake now.

Hope they get it all squared away in your home town Ron.

• Like 1

It's still rocking & rolling over there.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

One poor guy in Pahrump had his old jeep up on a jack and blocks when one of the big ones hit and the jeep fell on him and killed him. 
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ridgecrest-earthquakes-death-nevada-20190709-story.html

Be careful out there. I had my RV jacked up one time at the Cargo Muchachos and a quake knocked it off the jack. Fortunately I wasn't working on it at the time. :yikes:

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before starting another on the same subject,, Search supervolcano caldera china lake to get an eyefull...  It is rocking/ rollin, for sure and it all seems to be concentrated along a line.

Wow!  The caldera under Trona & China Lake is as big or bigger that the super caldera under Yellowstone, one of largest in the world!  Wow!  I had no idea I grew up on top of a big bubbling volcano! ...Thanks for sharing that...Cheers, Unc

Are you guys talking about the caldera up by Mammoth? Isn't that one called "Long Valley"?

I am not aware of any USGS reports on a caldera under China Lake. Only some theories posted on the internet by Russian trolls. Any talk about a caldera under China Lake is just wild conjecture at this point.

:4chsmu1:

Hi Bob,

This is from the article I linked below. 

“The California Volcano Observatory will continue to monitor the situation for any sign of volcanic activity and provide updates as warranted.”

The Coso Volcanic Field is on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains at the northern end of the Mojave Desert, about 40 miles north of Ridgecrest.

The field covers roughly 150 square miles, mainly within the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1151965/california-volcano-eruption-california-earthquake-coso-volcanic-field-latest-news-update

There are other articles although some are more sensationalistic than others. But from the amount of lava on the surface between Mojave and Bishop, it certainly seems as though this has been an area of huge volcanic activity. Have you seen it?  I will try to find more. Best...

RELATED ARTICLES

• 1001733_1.jpg

here is the most recent post by usgs on the area

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/coso_volcanic_field/status.html

So there is a difference between a caldera and a volcanic field. The Ridgecrest / China Lake area is a volcanic field

The area near Mammoth Lakes is a caldera. (the Long Valley Caldera you were speaking of Bob)

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Any talk about a caldera under China Lake is just wild conjecture at this point.

:4chsmu1:

Da comrade, but there have been  earthquaking 500 in the day last in  area 40 kilometers by 20 kilometers  near , how you say earthquaking headquarters?

Dosvidania