Nugget Shooter Forums

GPZ 10" Xcoils from Russia

I got out this morning to do a review on a new Russian10"  Xcoil that I received for the GPZ.  But let me state firstly that I am not a dealer, I paid for this coil myself and have no self interests other than reporting what I find as I see it.  So here it goes:

I headed off to the gold fields of Arizona at about10:15pm last night.  It was 105F outside but it was dropping.  So it looked like this was going to be a fairly comfortable night for detecting.  The goal of this trip was:

1) compare the Russian 10" Xcoil to the 14x13" ML coil in respects to finding gold

2) check ferrite balance

3) check knock sensitivity

4) review overall design

The first patch I tested was one in which I had only found small gold (nothing over .3g).  In total, I am lucky if this patch gave up 15 grams, but it was very fun.  And I gridded this area to the best of my ability.  Rough dimensions are 50'x50'.  It is unlike any of my other gold area I have been to.  There is no quartz on the ground, but seems to be a basalt looking grey covering up a red gossan type material (which the gold is in) There are areas on this hill where you cannot swing a detector it is so hot.  And hot rocks are the norm, here.   Once on location, I began with the standard coil, dropped the ferrite ring and ground balanced.  I also followed up with noise cancelling, etc.   Then I proceeded to recheck an area which had a dense concentration of nuggets, previously.  I found nothing but I succeeded in warming the machine up.  No knock sensitivity, threshold was a little ratty with the EMI, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I ran the most conservative settings I know.  There are much better settings, but I wanted to know how the coils would operate without optimization.  Settings are below:

High Yield/Normal/Sens=4,Vol=8,Thresh=25, tone=53, Vol Limit=7, Ground Balance Mode=Semi Auto, Audio Smoothing= off, Ground smoothing= off

Next, I switched to the 10" coil.  Used the ferrite and checked knock sensitivity.  all was good.  It also, had the same level of noise as before.  so I began hunting.  after 15 minutes or so I had a target and it was a small nugget.  and then another.  At this point I just wandered through the area I had gridded and found a couple more.  Total to this point was four small nuggets.  I didn't want to spend all of my time here so I headed back to the truck.  On the way I checked a wash that I thought I checked previously.  Apparently not good enough.  I found two larger nuggets, now I am up to 6 nuggets for the trip.  But back to the truck  I went to check patch #2.

Now this is where it gets interesting.  It is about 5 minute drive to my new area.  The gold from this area *did* come from quartz stringers and the local metamorphic rocks.  The largest piece found was 5 grams and I believe I found a little over an ounce in total.  Most of it from two washes but some from the adjacent hillside.  Anyways, after parking I started my slow walk to the patch with the 10" coil.  After getting my wits scared out of my by what I think was a bobcat, I continued to the area.  I immediately noticed a problem.  The coil was very noisy.  I tried everything I could and tried to rebalance to the ferrite. But it would not work.  So then I walked back to the truck and got the std coil.  This coil ran smoothly.  So it wasn't my imagination.  Then I switched back again to the 10" coil without rebalancing to the ferrite.  No problem.  It was smooth.  As soon as rebalanced to the ferrite ring, it was out of wack again.  So this was frustrating.  I never did check knock sensitivity as the ground noise was already an issue.  By this time it was 4am and I decided to call it a night.

So it seems that while the coils work well in some areas, there are the areas that will give some issues.  The only way to trick it is to use your std coil and lock in the X-balance and then switch coils without rebalancing to the ferrite ring.

Another note I would make about this new coil is that the coil wire itself is thicker and does not like to go into the shaft.  After multiple changings, I found that with a little mid shaft rotation, it helped with this immensely.  The standard coil wire drops right in.

That is really all I have on this, for now on this coil.  I will let you know if I find out anything further.

(gold sizes in grams: .05/.07/.08/.21/.19/.71 = 1.3g)

coils.JPG            coil.JPG        gold.JPG

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 3
  • well done 1

Well at least you found something, and didn't fry your machine in the process.  :old:

It would have been interesting to know if the SDC could have found any of that gold.  :head:

Nice work, well done.

Luke

• Like 2
12 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Well at least you found something, and didn't fry your machine in the process.  :old:

It would have been interesting to know if the SDC could have found any of that gold.  :head:

Trust me,  I was praying when I made the chip adapter that I wouldn't destroy my $8K machine.  The comparison between the 10" coil and the SDC is something I want to get to, eventually.  Not sure how to do that without having an SDC, LOL.  I may have to take stroll through Tiny Tunes Patch.  (or the general area)

• Like 2

Nice looking gold Andyy,.....you must have done this night hunting thing a time or two before???  I have not (as yet) tried it, but it sounds interesting (if not challenging), as long as you have a proven spot or two to go to to begin with.  I think that I would be more concerned about getting "tagged" by a rattlesnake in the dim light than anything else.  I have come very close-to more-than-one while detecting even in the daylight.  

Well I would imagine that the 10" coil is lighter in weight, and probably easier to swing than the stock 14" coil, but now after finding these nuggets would you say that the 14" coil would "not" have found them just as easily????  I have a 7000 myself, and I have found nuggets the size of a safety pin-head (or about the same size as the two smallest that you are holding).  Gary  

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this, nice gold too, congrats. Although I recently sold my GPZ seeing more coil options on the market is great. It's an awesome and powerful machine. I've seen a lot of people knock the Z who have likely never held one. If I could offer ML one big Z critique it would be this. More coil options. Looking forward to what ML releases next, but have plenty of detectors in the meantime. If the R&D team could just combine the power of the Z with the descrimination of the Monster (not to be completely trusted but good) in a light weight package, with several coils, that would be a home run. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LowPoint said:

Nice looking gold Andyy,.....you must have done this night hunting thing a time or two before???  I have not (as yet) tried it, but it sounds interesting (if not challenging), as long as you have a proven spot or two to go to to begin with.  I think that I would be more concerned about getting "tagged" by a rattlesnake in the dim light than anything else.  I have come very close-to more-than-one while detecting even in the daylight.  

Well I would imagine that the 10" coil is lighter in weight, and probably easier to swing than the stock 14" coil, but now after finding these nuggets would you say that the 14" coil would "not" have found them just as easily????  I have a 7000 myself, and I have found nuggets the size of a safety pin-head (or about the same size as the two smallest that you are holding).  Gary  

Gary - for some reason I get out more hunting over the summer on night hunts than I do in ON season with day hunts.  But you are correct, it has to be a place you are familiar with.  I've only once "almost" stepped on a rattler.   But I recognized the coil shape.  You learn to walk a little slower in the mornings (and I always wear snake gear).  At night you see a lot of fox, racoon and coyotes.  This last trip I am hoping what I saw was  a bobcat and not a mtn. lion.  But it left me alone anyways.

I agree with you on the small size that the 14" coil will get.  I have gotten smaller gold that will not register on my scale.  But you have to be nearly touching the coil and it is a pain to get out of the scoop.  These were 3-4 inches and crystal clear signals.  The 14" just could not hear it because of how hot the ground was.  But I am positive I gridded the area well.  At least well enough that I should not have missed four of them.  And I didn't finish checking.  I know there are more there.

My review on the 10" coil is mixed.  I still want to check it in my Prescott Valley spots, as well.  I think these soils are pretty saturated as well.  I want to know if it can handle this.  For some reason, the coil would not work at all on the ground of the second patch I went to.  so this was a cause of concern.  JP warned us that this might be the case.  I wanted to do some testing to confirm if this was an issue.  So far it is.  So I cannot give this coil a passing score, yet.  I need to do more testing.

I was looking at your settings that you used, and kind of compared them to what I have gotten used to using on my 7000.  I run my sensitivity and volume a lot higher with a lower Threshold level and put the Ground Balance Mode on Auto.  I have found that with these settings (only-on-occasion) does a very-mineralized hot rock disrupt the Threshold.   Using my settings, I have never had any issues with hot ground in any of my spots (and many of my spots have hot rocks and/or hot ground that would, and I am sure still-do drive a VLF'R crazy  :poostorm:)...One spot where I have issues is:  an area that has huge (semi-submerged) boulders apparently containing very heavy concentrations of iron (almost solid) (very rust-looking brown rock).   I can't even get "any" coil from either of my detectors within about a foot of it,... and trying to reset settings to null it is out of the question.  The other area has some overhead power lines (EMI) that I have not (as yet) been able to null-out using any setting.  I think these power lines must be carrying the max amount of electricity that they can carry without burning the wiring up :2mo5pow:.  No setting seems to even quiet the wavery-noise picked up by the coil.  It's hard to hear faint signals with that type of racket :head:.  By the way, these two "Issue" areas are within the Prescott Valley area.  Gary    

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LowPoint said:

I was looking at your settings that you used, and kind of compared them to what I have gotten used to using on my 7000.  I run my sensitivity and volume a lot higher with a lower Threshold level and put the Ground Balance Mode on Auto.  I have found that with these settings (only-on-occasion) does a very-mineralized hot rock disrupt the Threshold.   Using my settings, I have never had any issues with hot ground in any of my spots (and many of my spots have hot rocks and/or hot ground that would, and I am sure still-do drive a VLF'R crazy  

Yes, there are  a couple schools of thought on the settings.  I have done a lot of testing using the high sensitivity settings, low sensitivity, and varying threshold for hot rocks.  My "belief" is that higher sensitivity works for making small gold pop.  But I have proven time and time again that if you are in really hot ground, high sensitivity will cause the ground noise to cover the the deeper signals (in my areas).  I have also found EMI to have a huge effect.  Coming back on a lower EMI day (or time) and I find more gold.  

I have run under some power lines in your general area with a threshold =1 and adjusting sensitivity and volume to suit.  The GPZ is far better than the GPX in this regard.

Getting back to the 10" coil, it is important that I established a baseline with the 14" coil and used the same settings on the 10" coil.  A good 10" coil should not need much of a settings adjustment.  And it didn't need adjustment in the first area.  But the other area was bad and would not run properly.  There is a trick I mentioned, but nobody wants to carry 2 coils with them to do this.  So I have some further experimentation to do in order to get this coil to work in areas you and I find more common.  I would love to be able to use this 10: coil in more places.  I forgot how nice it was to have a small coil for those tight or really rocky washes.

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

Yes, there are  a couple schools of thought on the settings.  I have done a lot of testing using the high sensitivity settings, low sensitivity, and varying threshold for hot rocks.  My "belief" is that higher sensitivity works for making small gold pop.  But I have proven time and time again that if you are in really hot ground, high sensitivity will cause the ground noise to cover the the deeper signals (in my areas).  I have also found EMI to have a huge effect.  Coming back on a lower EMI day (or time) and I find more gold.  

I have run under some power lines in your general area with a threshold =1 and adjusting sensitivity and volume to suit.  The GPZ is far better than the GPX in this regard.

Getting back to the 10" coil, it is important that I established a baseline with the 14" coil and used the same settings on the 10" coil.  A good 10" coil should not need much of a settings adjustment.  And it didn't need adjustment in the first area.  But the other area was bad and would not run properly.  There is a trick I mentioned, but nobody wants to carry 2 coils with them to do this.  So I have some further experimentation to do in order to get this coil to work in areas you and I find more common.  I would love to be able to use this 10: coil in more places.  I forgot how nice it was to have a small coil for those tight or really rocky washes.

I don't usually carry more than one coil with me when I am out, but my coils are all equipped on their own shafts, so it would be easy to change them out if I wanted to go that route.  I have been detecting for so many years with a GP-3000 and a Coiltek Joey coil that it has been, and still remains to be my coil-of-choice for a lite-weight coil to swing in tight spots, rocky washes, exposed bedrock, and has a great sensitivity to small gold.  I do realize that this coil has it's depth-limitations, so I usually use it first to establish where the "sitting-duck-nuggets" (the Indicators) are, and then follow up later with either my 14" Nugget Finder (EVO) coil on the same detector, or come back with my Z-7000 for the deeper ones.    I have even gotten used to swinging the 14" on the 7000 to where I don't even use a bungee cord;...it just gets in my way, and don't like wearing the vest (harness) setup.    

• Like 1

Good talking with you, Gary.  I used to love my Sadie coil on the GPX5000.  I was hoping we could get close to that on the GPZ, but we are not there, yet.  Good luck out there!