Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
23XLive

A few favorites from my collection

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I'm really enjoying the forum and thought I would share a few specimens that are some of my favorites from my collection. I've included an assortment of sweetness.

The last piece of jasper is probably my favorite rock. The lines toward the center almost create a 3D effect .Thank-you to everyone that makes the forum such a good source of knowledge and enjoyment of rocks!

20190703_012731.jpg

20190703_012622.jpg

20190703_012513.jpg

20190703_012507.jpg

20190703_012418.jpg

20190703_012230.jpg

20190703_012139.jpg

20190703_011841.jpg

20190703_011752.jpg

20190703_011609.jpg

20190703_011518.jpg

20190703_012045.jpg

20190703_012006.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love all the bands! Especially love picture 9 and 10 beautiful rocks my dude! Btw do you know what the rock on the right in picture 8 is? love the look of it, kinda reminds me of polished fossilized wood. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real close Diggingd, both of those pieces in that picture are petrified palm. I'm not sure if the one on the right is palm root or not but they both are definately palm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized afterwards that I should have put a coin or something to show scale for all of the pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diggingd said:

That awesome, did you dig the palms up yourself? 

Yes found both of them in the Calico mountains area of Mojave High Desert. At the time I found the smaller one four or five years ago, I didn't even know there was such thing as petrified palm. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh man. I thought you guys were calling the rocks in pic #10 palm! Glad I went back and counted! 

Both of those are palm fiber, which is what the trunk of the palm is called. The roots look very different from that. I don’t have any pics to show you at the moment though.

Edited by d_day
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Haha d_day! Good to know! Also 23XLive thanks for the information where you found it might look up some spots to find some it looks super cool!

Edited by Diggingd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mule Canyon palm is getting harder to find by the day. It used to be so common, and the pieces so large out there that my uncle would break them up with dynamite. There were whole trees preserved before all the collectors. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow d_day that's crazy well palm trees aren't extent yet so hopefully we can expect more in the very very very distant future, but as with everything humans find, for some reason it's in our nature to find all of something until it's to hard to find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, d_day said:

Mule Canyon palm is getting harder to find by the day. It used to be so common, and the pieces so large out there that my uncle would break them up with dynamite. There were whole trees preserved before all the collectors. 

My rock hound buddy and I have limited our hunting to float and stuff that is sticking out of the ground. He grew up in the high desert and I moved there in 2000. We would find rocks broken open and he would say that native people had broken them but I believed that it was other rockhounders  that had. I read an article about Pat McMahan, and he said that he learned about rocks when he was a kid from a gentleman that collected back in the 1930's.

My buddy thinks that all the lost treasure is still lost, whilst I'm of the opinion that a lot of it has been found without a mention.

Edited by 23XLive
punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, d_day said:

Oh man. I thought you guys were calling the rocks in pic #10 palm! Glad I went back and counted! 

Both of those are palm fiber, which is what the trunk of the palm is called. The roots look very different from that. I don’t have any pics to show you at the moment though.

Thank-you d_day, I knew they were some kind of palm, but not exactly what. I have lot's and lot's to learn and appreciate the information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The banded jasper is really nice. There is a spot near my place where there is some very similar material. The patterns are mesmerizing. 

I like to tumble that stuff. When it gets all rounded up the colors, patterns and lines make some beautiful stones. And most of what I have has taken a nice polish. 

I think humans are genetically hardwired for jasper. For millions of years it was an important tool material. Our survival depended on recognizing jasper (and stones with the same fracture).

Now when we see that stuff we hear the call of the wild. Jasper gives us a special little thrill all the way down to our chromosomes. The pattern in that stone harmonizes with the Cro-Magnon DNA or something.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

The banded jasper is really nice. There is a spot near my place where there is some very similar material. The patterns are mesmerizing. 

I like to tumble that stuff. When it gets all rounded up the colors, patterns and lines make some beautiful stones. And most of what I have has taken a nice polish. 

I think humans are genetically hardwired for jasper. For millions of years it was an important tool material. Our survival depended on recognizing jasper (and stones with the same fracture).

Now when we see that stuff we hear the call of the wild. Jasper gives us a special little thrill all the way down to our chromosomes. The pattern in that stone harmonizes with the Cro-Magnon DNA or something.  

I got chills reading that Bedrock Bob! I completely agree that our whole bodies harmonize with the patterns. I know they say life imitates art, but in the case of jasper, I think it is/has been an inspiration to a many great artists in all fields of life and art.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1975, found an ancient camp with a large chunk of palm agate that they have chipped their stone tools off of. 

nearest palm agate is 3 miles east, which has been well searched by rock-hounds. 

have posted to several universities to guide a couple of their female students to the area, never received any replies.

near there is a camp from the 1930s where a frenchman and his two mexican helpers, hidden well away from the placer. stakes from a large tent, outhouse frame, and bucket with holes in the bottom for shower near a hidden spring with a glass on a nail driven into a 4 by 4 post.

have to get me new equinox 800 out there soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds! #9 is really nice especially.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 5:56 AM, fuss said:

Nice finds! #9 is really nice especially.

Thank-you! I found it Afton Canyon in the Mojave desert. We did a five mile hike into one of the canyons and came across an small waterfall and according to my buddy an ancient riverbed about three-fourths the way to the top. It's been five years,  I think it's time for another hike. I'm going to Wisconsin at the end of this month to see my sister around the Madison area. I'm interested in checking out cave of the mounds and wish I was going to be there long enough to take a trip to the great lake to look for agates!

14 - 17.jpg

14 - 14.jpg

14 - 13.jpg

14 - 10(1).jpg

14 - 9.jpg

14 - 7.jpg

14 - 2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 3:25 AM, 23XLive said:

I think it's time for another hike. I'm going to Wisconsin at the end of this month to see my sister around the Madison area. I'm interested in checking out cave of the mounds and wish I was going to be there long enough to take a trip to the great lake to look for agates! 

Have fun, I haven't been to cave of the mound before should be be interesting. Unless you were talking about driving all the way up to lake Superior from Madison you wont find many if any agates at lake Michigan beaches but if you have a long wave UV light you could find some of these....

 

 

yooper collection2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fuss said:

Have fun, I haven't been to cave of the mound before should be be interesting. Unless you were talking about driving all the way up to lake Superior from Madison you wont find many if any agates at lake Michigan beaches but if you have a long wave UV light you could find some of these....

 

 

yooper collection2.jpg

Yooperlites!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yooperite is a local term they use for these.  The actual mineral that fluoreses is called sodalite. These were deposited by glaciers that came down from Canada. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fuss,

Thank you for the info. I would love to drive up to the lake but am only going to be there for the weekend. I am definitely looking forward

to finding some Yooperlite/sodalite! I'll post what I come back with.

 

Morlock,

Thank-you for the additional info on sodalite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 4:19 AM, Morlock said:

Yooperite is a local term they use for these.  The actual mineral that fluoreses is called sodalite. These were deposited by glaciers that came down from Canada. 

Yep. A friend worked closely with Erik Rintamaki (the discoverer) and wrote up a paper for some journal. I’ll have to see if I can find it and post it here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to read that report if you can find it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...