Nugget Shooter Forums
Au Seeker

Second largest Arizona gold nugget

Nice!:thumbsupanim

Certainly a wonderful find, but "second largest Arizona nugget" found is a far stretch. Specific gravity test reveals a 22 troy ounce gold content, whereas Kevin Hoagland and Terry Bone both found 27 ouncers in AZ. And what about the Potato Patch at Rich Hill, where LARGER potato-size nuggets were recovered? Just sayin'. HH Jim

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

Certainly a wonderful find, but "second largest Arizona nugget" found is a far stretch. Specific gravity test reveals a 22 troy ounce gold content, whereas Kevin Hoagland and Terry Bone both found 27 ouncers in AZ. And what about the Potato Patch at Rich Hill, where LARGER potato-size nuggets were recovered? Just sayin'. HH Jim

Not absolutely 100% sure but I think Terry Bone found his nugget in Nevada.

• Like 2

For those that don't watch the whole video.  Found in the 70s by a geologist as a sunbaker sitting on top of a debris pile.  Had probably been lying on top of that debris pile for 80 years prioe to getting found.  Probably mined in the 1880s.

• Like 1

Morlock, Terry told me AZ, but I knew him well enough to know that he might fib a bit about "whar I done found it." I  concede you may be right.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

And lets not forget Jim Boxbergers 2.27 pound specimen with 1.57 pounds of gold from San Domingo placers here in AZ

jim3180301.jpgjim31803.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful gold, but second largest is certainly a stretch. You can only reference what's been recorded or published. Much is never talked about, such is the way of dirt diggers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was also a speciman size piece found by Bud Guthrie metal detecting in 1989 in Meadview, Arizona that contained approx 60 ounces of gold once gravity test was done...

bud guthrie nugget.jpg

• Like 4

Right you are, Dave. I forgot about that article, "$75,000 Rock Found." I must be getting forgetful.... When Bud contacted us at Jess Publishing ("Treasure" magazine) Bud and I figured that, with gold at $400.00 per ounce, and with a 60+ ounce gold content, then "Fred"  could maybe sell for three times spot, thus $75,000. HH Jim

• Like 1

My set of "Treasure" magazines is in storage, but if somebody has easy access to the July 1989 issue, that's the one that contains the article about Bud's find.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, DolanDave said:

There was also a speciman size piece found by Bud Guthrie metal detecting in 1989 in Meadview, Arizona that contained approx 60 ounces of gold once gravity test was done...

bud guthrie nugget.jpg

I remember that one to-There was a rumor that it was found around the vultures - IMO-Its matrix does resemble closer to the vulture area than to the meadveiw area type gold:arrowheadsmiley: Regardless of where it came from still a great find-and as said before there are many great finds that never go public-MUM s the word- and as far as what areas they are found why would any body disclose that info it would only start a gold rush in that area :WOW: Mike C...:200:

• Like 4

On 7/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, Nugget Shooter said:

And lets not forget Jim Boxbergers 2.27 pound specimen with 1.57 pounds of gold from San Domingo placers here in AZ

jim3180301.jpgjim31803.jpg

I remember that one-nice find :WOW: Hows Jim doing ? Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

My set of "Treasure" magazines is in storage, but if somebody has easy access to the July 1989 issue, that's the one that contains the article about Bud's find.

Here is a "Fisher" ad on page 33 in the 1990 Silver & Gold issue of Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine

scan0001.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snakejim said:

Here is a "Fisher" ad on page 33 in the 1990 Silver & Gold issue of Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine

scan0001.jpg

Ahhh...Those were the good old days.

• Like 3

".... And my heart grieves, and pines... for the days of old.... the days of gold... the days of 'eighty-nine..." Sure wish I still had all those nuggets I sold for $400.00 per ounce in '89. Oh well... HH Jim

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, Jimmy M said:

Hi Jim,

I have a copy of the article from Treasure magazine.... nice article. Everywhere you read online, they say it was found in Dolan Springs, Arizona... but was really found in the Meadview Arizona area, around the King Tut area. A lot of gold was taken from the area from detectors years ago...

Dave

• Like 4