Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nugget108

1st night hunt of the year

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

After baseball yesterday afternoon, the boys talked me into doing a night hunt. We headed out at 6:30 and arrived about 7:30. We have been eyeing a new spot so thats where we headed. We started finding stuff right away. My little guy found some sweet little buckles and some other neat little relics before crashing out for the evening around 11:30. Cam and i met up and started hunting some heavier brush. Not long after hitting the brush, I hit a huge low tone that overloaded the the 5000. A little bit of digging and out popped the edge of the Morgan Dollar. Just seeing the edge, i called Cam over and we broke out the cell phone. He videoed while i popped it out the rest of the way. Its an 1890 S. Thats my biggest coin to date and im pretty excited about it. After that excitement, Cameron yells at me saying he found a ring. I had him bring it over and sure as heck, its a 14k gold band. It has some caliche and dirt on it that we need to clean off but it is a swwet ring. After all the excitement of those 2 finds, we just found the usual buttons and other cool little relics. I found a mini teapot and frying pan that was pretty cool too. We still have about 3/4 of a mile left to hunt and there is stuff everywhere. This might be our best spot yet. Just wanted to share the outing with you guys. Maybe next time ill have some nuggets/species to go along with the cool relics. Take care everyone. 

Dan

20190701_125522.jpg

20190701_125253.jpg

20190701_125228.jpg

20190701_125221.jpg

20190701_125211.jpg

20190701_125200.jpg

  • Like 2
  • well done 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow !!  Those are some nice finds.  :thumbsupanim

Glad you were able to make it out before it snows again....   :4chsmu1:

Luke

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Luke. Could snow next week here.

It was a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Wow Dan. Those are some terrific finds. Congrats. I never had that much luck with relics in all my time out west, period. And you found all those in one night.

Speaking of snow... Look what happened down south.

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/mexico-hail-storm-up-to-6-feet-of-ice-dropped-guadalajara-north-mexico-city-in-summertime-freak-hail-storm-sunday/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%

Thats crazy!

While im chasing gold, Cameron is usually scouting the new goodie spots. He found this one last week when we went out for the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Awesome Dan, great finds! 

Hey Skip, any insight on the ring? It just has the 14k and the crown for the mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Hey Skip, any insight on the ring? It just has the 14k and the crown for the mark.

I'll see if I can find out anything, I did a little searching for similar marks but nothing has come up yet...but the crown is going to possibly be a tough one to track down, there were many crown marks of all shapes and sizes used for a number of purposes, if from Europe it could be a city mark but I haven't found one exactly like it, from other places could be a manufacturer/company's mark, or even a artist/jeweler's mark, if that's the case unless it's a famous artist could be hard or impossible to find out who made the ring.

The 14 could be 14k but there's no k with the mark so that mark that could purity or ?, it does appear to be gold because it is not tarnished but can't say what the purity is for sure, but it could be plated the edge of the ring the possible plating seems to be worn off, is that what you see in person?

What I don't see which is usually there are other marks if from Europe to give a date and maker.

When I enlarge your photos I see either some other etchings or scratches to the right of the markings, can you make out what that is?

   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there is a name etched into it. Looks like Vatlis, but really hard to make out. There was a brown stripe painted down the outer center of the band. If you scrape off the paint, it is gold under it also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I'll see if I can find out anything, I did a little searching for similar marks but nothing has come up yet...but the crown is going to possibly be a tough one to track down, there were many crown marks of all shapes and sizes used for a number of purposes, if from Europe it could be a city mark but I haven't found one exactly like it, from other places could be a manufacturer/company's mark, or even a artist/jeweler's mark, if that's the case unless it's a famous artist could be hard or impossible to find out who made the ring.

The 14 could be 14k but there's no k with the mark so that mark that could purity or ?, it does appear to be gold because it is not tarnished but can't say what the purity is for sure, but it could be plated the edge of the ring the possible plating seems to be worn off, is that what you see in person?

What I don't see which is usually there are other marks if from Europe to give a date and maker.

When I enlarge your photos I see either some other etchings or scratches to the right of the markings, can you make out what that is?

   

Skip,

I found another exact ring on the net that someone had posted to a treasure forum a couple of years ago. Same 14 and same crown but it is a horrible picture. 

image-21403417.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey nugget 108,...  In your 4th photo there is a round object with a stallion's head on it;........can you tell if that is a lid off-of a round container of about the same size???  If so, it may have been a woman's small mascara case (lid) that was carried within a purse.  I found one years ago while detecting on a grass-covered football field.  I think mine may be from the early 50's to 60's??????  Here's a few photo's of it.  Gary

SAM_1550.JPG

SAM_1553.JPG

SAM_1554.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LowPoint said:

Hey nugget 108,...  In your 4th photo there is a round object with a stallion's head on it;........can you tell if that is a lid off-of a round container of about the same size???  If so, it may have been a woman's small mascara case (lid) that was carried within a purse.  I found one years ago while detecting on a grass-covered football field.  I think mine may be from the early 50's to 60's??????  Here's a few photo's of it.  Gary

SAM_1550.JPG

SAM_1553.JPG

SAM_1554.JPG

Hi Gary, 

Thats actually a big button.

15620297366675092672058615574479.jpg

15620297628756285259779475094136.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great finds Dan, and props to your boys for starting a fire under your butt and getting out after dark. Congrats on the Morgan dollar, that's a beauty.:thumbsupanim

ht

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Great finds Dan, and props to your boys for starting a fire under your butt and getting out after dark. Congrats on the Morgan dollar, that's a beauty.:thumbsupanim

ht

Thanks, its in great shape. Hey its their baseball tournaments thats eating into our detecting time. One more next weekend then its over till January. Then we will be hitting it hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow I love the buttons!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...