Nugget Shooter Forums

What is this green rock?

I was out rock hunting in the creek on Sunday and came home with some really cool stuff. 

I found this really big green rock and I dont know if it is a green jasper or jade maybe? We have jade here in western canada so I dont know. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also I found lots of these red rocks in the same area. Am I correct in thinking the red ones like this are brecciated Jasper.

PSX_20190625_195542.jpg

PSX_20190625_195715.jpg

PSX_20190625_195615.jpg

PSX_20190625_195759.jpg

PSX_20190625_195819.jpg

• Like 1

The pics make it hard to tell. Can you take some in full sun?

i think the big green is probably a greenschist. It exhibits some of the features one would expect in a schist. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, d_day said:

The pics make it hard to tell. Can you take some in full sun?

i think the big green is probably a greenschist. It exhibits some of the features one would expect in a schist. 

Ok if it's not still raining today after work I will take some pics outside.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long. Took forever to get some sun in my area lol.

2 photos are of the rock dry and in full sun light

The rest are when wet. I am not sure if it matters if the rock is wet or dry so I did both. I personally think it looks amazing wet though.

20190709_143915.jpg

20190709_143925.jpg

20190709_143935.jpg

20190709_143958.jpg

20190709_144007.jpg

20190709_144025.jpg

Having seen the green one in sun, I now think it’s a quartzite, which is a metamorphosed quartz sandstone. It does look kind of jade like, but the sharps edges aren’t usually seen on jade float.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, d_day said:

Having seen the green one in sun, I now think it’s a quartzite, which is a metamorphosed quartz sandstone. It does look kind of jade like, but the sharps edges aren’t usually seen on jade float.

Thanks for the replies. I don't find to many green rocks round my area. So this big one that looked different had to come home with me lol. Is there a way to polish this rock since it is so big? Or is it worth cutting open or would it be better left whole incase it is jade?