Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GeoJack

Underground at the Original 16 to 1 Mine in Allegheny.

Posted (edited)

Wife and I took the Saturday morning tour at the 16 to 1 mine again. This tour included the famous "Ball Room".

2 miles round trip and it was stunning. Loading video to Youtube today.

57467809_10156979786221827_4734635749402476544_n.jpg

Snapshot 2 (6-17-2019 2-45 PM).png

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 6

Way cool !! I`d love to take that tour

Without a doubt, something every gold pickin dude and gal would want to take. 83,000 oz pockets of gold.

• Like 2
  • wow 1

If only the owner had let me in there back in the early 80's...we would both be rich!

fred

• Haha 1

Hard to get a 35 minute video uploaded. Attempting again. 

I think Chris Ralph did a video from there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

Super Video!:thumbsupanim

Thanks Terry. 

• Like 1

Nice video Rick, thanks for taking us along!!

I could have sworn a couple of times when you turned the light off I saw a TommyKnocker or 2 off to the side!!:yikes:

My avatar is one of 3 or 4 specimens I have from the 16 to 1 Mine, I bought them from an estate sale auction about 10 to 12 years ago, the gentleman who had them in his collection got them a good while ago and they were mined in the 1950s, don't know all the details but he could have gotten them about the time they came out of the mine, he supposedly knew the mine owners back then, not sure if he purchased them or they were given to him, he had 15 to 20 pieces/specimens, I tried for them all but got outbid on some at the last minute and others were more money than I wanted or could afford to paid, all the ones I have are each under 8 grams total weight, quartz and gold, some of the bigger ones in the auction were up to an ounce and a couple well over an ounce.

• Like 1
  • wow 1

I sold some of my specimens to the people working the gold show. I was offered some space in the gold cabinet for next year to show my collection but I'm afraid I will have to decline. Similar to the 16 to 1 but nothing compares to their milk white quartz with the gold in it.

21 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Nice video Rick, thanks for taking us along!!

I could have sworn a couple of times when you turned the light off I saw a TommyKnocker or 2 off to the side!!:yikes:

My avatar is one of 3 or 4 specimens I have from the 16 to 1 Mine, I bought them from an estate sale auction about 10 to 12 years ago, the gentleman who had them in his collection got them a good while ago and they were mined in the 1950s, don't know all the details but he could have gotten them about the time they came out of the mine, he supposedly knew the mine owners back then, not sure if he purchased them or they were given to him, he had 15 to 20 pieces/specimens, I tried for them all but got outbid on some at the last minute and others were more money than I wanted or could afford to paid, all the ones I have are each under 8 grams total weight, quartz and gold, some of the bigger ones in the auction were up to an ounce and a couple well over an ounce.

Darn Skip, and all this time I thought it was a carved miniature poodle or maybe a cockapoo . . . with a gold mouth, nose, eyes, ears, tail and tiny little gold paws!

Cute! :)

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:27 AM, fredmason said:

If only the owner had let me in there back in the early 80's...we would both be rich!

fred

Hey Fred, was it the 16 to 1 that started to close down 20 years or so ago when a couple of their employees ask to be allowed to metal detect the walls to see if they could pick up any hidden veins and sure enough they did? Mining never stopped because of the new discoveries. Maybe it was another famous mine in the Sierras I'm thinking of, but I remember seeing the story in one of the prospecting magazines . . .

That is true as far as I know...

when I lived in Portola in the early 1980's I knew Grey Weaver who knew the owner of the 16-1....the owner was a grumpy and close minded fellow and wanted nothing to do with detectors...

his loss and mine

fred

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMc said:

Darn Skip, and all this time I thought it was a carved miniature poodle or maybe a cockapoo . . . with a gold mouth, nose, eyes, ears, tail and tiny little gold paws!

Cute! :)

That's my favorite of the specimens I have and it's because just as you stated, it's looks like a little dog asking for a treat, many years ago I had 2 Peekapoos, both very smart, but the female was the smartest dog I have ever own, she understood more of the human English language then any other dog I have ever seen and would do anything I ask her to do, that specimen reminds me of both of them!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

That's my favorite of the specimens I have and it's because just as you stated, it's looks like a little dog asking for a treat, many years ago I had 2 Peekapoos, both very smart, but the female was the smartest dog I have ever own, she understood more of the human English language then any other dog I have ever seen and would do anything I ask her to do, that specimen reminds me of both of them!!

No offense Skip but here in the Southwest, we call dogs that size, "Taco Dogs" :)

1 hour ago, BMc said:

No offense Skip but here in the Southwest, we call dogs that size, "Taco Dogs" :)

No offense, they both loved tacos!

• Like 1