Nugget Shooter Forums
Brownnugget

Rock ID help and some gold

I was detecting mid slope in an area with almost no trash.  I got a semi-strong and mellow sounding hit near the base of a bush.  I got excited and confident.  10” down this very heavy rock was pulled out.  Looks like a ball of iron but very weak on the magnetic side.  The ground was mild with no hot rocks.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  And some gold from the last 5 trips.  

Brownie

3D6FC2F0-E983-4A04-A681-803DCB73638B.jpeg

D81F0AB0-FA06-4388-AE01-66F5695807AE.png

EE1843EE-0A28-4B9F-AB03-C4EA3F601E46.png

• Like 11

NICE GOLD!

I suggest you grind a window and take a look...it could be a low iron/nickel chrondrite.

fred

• Like 2

Great work bud!! Hopefully a meteorite!!

Chris 

• Like 1

Looks like an old meteorite, like Gold Basin, Arizona...

• Like 3

Nice gold and..... I am with Fred and Dave, Meteorite (likely) Nice hunting man! Or at least worth further investigation :2drink:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My first thought too was a meteorite as well

Edited by afreakofnature
  • Like 1

Yep, I think you got yourself a meteorite, too.  I hope so, anyways.  And nice gold. Thanks for sharing!

Posted (edited)

SO??????

come now, what is the result?

fred

Edited by fredmason

Fred, the results ... it is still gold he found in addition to the rock!

Friend and meteorite officiant Chris put the screws to it yesterday.  👎🏼.  Too heavy and filing down a small window under a loupe confirmed hematite.  I just thought it had a shot since there were no other rocks like it in the area and non that certainly hitting on my detector like it did. 

Brown 

• Like 1

Interesting, I didn't know you could identify hematite by loupe.  Usually I look for the red streak scratch test.

@Andyy,

ALL meteorites have Iron (Except Carbonaceous Chrondrites, Lunar, Martian, Howardites, and a FEW VERY RARE TYPES) - NOT DETECTABLE - NO IRON .  You can grind down a small section and you will always see iron "Flakes" unless it is a Pallasite (IE Stoney / Iron in which you will have olivine,  the extraterrestrial version of peridot), and complete Iron Meteorites which literally feels like pure iron which is a Nickle/Iron Matrix. 

The stone that "Brownnugget" Was showing would've fallen under the "Common Chrondrite" - H5 or L4 more than likely  type meteorite which is still rare, but its the common version of meteorites. 

It had me fooled, and I would've had to look at it in person to make a call.

If you ground off a small section and saw no flakes, it was more than likely hematite / magnetite. 

Thanks for your help in the past with your knowledge. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brownnugget said:

Friend and meteorite officiant Chris put the screws to it yesterday.  👎🏼.  Too heavy and filing down a small window under a loupe confirmed hematite.  I just thought it had a shot since there were no other rocks like it in the area and non that certainly hitting on my detector like it did. 

Brown 

I don't know about that. The area you found it is not known for Hematite. I would like to see the filed window 

• Like 1

Or better yet, a streak from a fresh portion of the stone.

Posted (edited)

Steve,

Also that area that you found it at, a few meteorites that look like that have been found in same area where you found yours.... bsumbdy (Chris), found the first one a little while back...if you ship it to me, I can do an xrf, to confirm...

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 1

Thanks to Dolan Dave for agreeing to cut my rock to ID it.  Confirmed space rock!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻.  Thank you Dave!

I have since realized there is a meteorite section on Bills forum so I will post there next time.  Just an update for everyone.

brownie 

1F9762CC-D013-4FE9-8163-F0250BD83A80.png

14CBC504-83B6-49EB-9D13-54C3CBC311C9.jpeg

• Like 6

Looks like L4 Chondrites, pretty pronounced fusion crust.

Doc

• Like 2