Nugget Shooter Forums
Luckyduck

Any idea what the 3 rocks in this rock are?

Even if terrestrial I haven't had any help in getting an ID. Can you all help? I'm too broke for dropping 275$ on a chemical ID without being given a go-ahead you know? It started off green but then quickly turned orange. There's a few spots of black crust in the pits, but seems weathered otherwise. 

IMG_20190403_175826.jpg

IMG_20190403_175831.jpg

IMG_20190207_175156_400.jpg

IMG_20190207_175156_410.jpg

This and other black rocks were found scattered all over a hillside. Private land of course. 

IMG_20190403_172901.jpg

IMG_20190403_172844.jpg

Save your money. I don't see anything that I think has any value

• Like 1

@Morlock

That's not helpful at all. You seem to know your rocks, so what does it look like to you? 

I mean it's laughable how many people say no but then can't ID it. If you can't then what makes your no any more valid than a yes?

Don't get me wrong I'll take any and all answers including a no but you can't just say no without also providing supporting evidence as to why you think not. 

@Morlock unless typing more than a sentence is too laborious for you then I guess I shouldn't pressure you to exert so much effort. 

11 minutes ago, Luckyduck said:

@Morlock

That's not helpful at all. You seem to know your rocks, so what does it look like to you? 

I mean it's laughable how many people say no but then can't ID it. If you can't then what makes your no any more valid than a yes?

I say yes. Go ahead and spend the money. Then you'll know.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Luckyduck,

Inclusions of older rock in terrestrial rocks are common. Neither your rocks nor their inclusions are meteorites. Below is my standard meteorite vs. meteor-wrong advice.

Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it's very unlikely to be a meteorite. It is basalt or sedimentary. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it is not a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the Arizona State University Meteorite Center of similar venue near you.

Your rocks have characteristics of sedimentary, water formed terrestrial rocks, but I would not know what kind as I only know meteorites.

Keep looking down. They are out there.

Cheers!

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckyduck said:

Don't get me wrong I'll take any and all answers including a no but you can't just say no without also providing supporting evidence as to why you think not. 

First and foremost welcome to the forum!

First you say you'll take all answers,....but it's unlikely for you to get any actual answers...meaning facts, opinions on the other hand is what you will get from just photos because no one can positively ID or certify your rocks or meteorites from a photo/s....

2 hours ago, Luckyduck said:

@Morlock unless typing more than a sentence is too laborious for you then I guess I shouldn't pressure you to exert so much effort. 

....and then you say this to someone who gave you an opinion, thus not making it conducive for any others to want to give you further opinions.IMHO

Our members here are happy to help as much as they can, but when you don't like what you hear it not in your best interest to get upset with their opinions.

So as an Administrator here I say thread lightly and don't wear your heart on your sleeve.

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Looks like granite to me. Grubstake

@grubstake I'll take it! I can't express my thanks for the guess... Honest. It's better than a no since I didn't ask if it were a meteorite. Just wanted a few guesses 😉

Posted (edited)

No problem, they look likwhat I have my yard ringed in!

Grubstake

Edited by grubstake

I didnt see anybody say " No" in this. Skip is right, you are going to get more opinions and guesses on here than anything. You cant tell by just pictures you know. I think you started off on the wrong foot with your remarks. These are great folks and its a great forum with some extremely wise people, so if you just kick back and relax, you might get an answer. But dont hammer on people when they throw out a guess. Welcome aboard!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luckyduck said:

How about you exert a little effort and tell us some physical characteristics? Rocks and meteorites are identified by density, hardness, attraction to a magnet, and by chipping or grinding away a little to reveal the unoxidized interior. How about giving us some basic info?

You can start by taking that rock into the bathroom and rubbing it on the underside of the toilet tank lid. Tell me what color marks it leaves on the ceramic. ...Or should I not pressure you to exert that much effort?

• Like 1

Certainly not a meteorite.  This is not a "guess my mineral" subforum, this is a subforum about meteorites.

• Like 1