Nugget Shooter Forums
LowPoint

"SPRING LOADED, READY and with an ATTITUDE"

Managed to get down into the lower desert today after a lengthy period of painting my house and doing other catch-up projects.  Ran across this fist'y dude crossing the dirt road ahead of me.  By the time I fumbled around and found my camera it was up starting into the brush and dry grass.  Once it caught site of me it coiled up and was ready for some serious business.  Attitude-wise, it wasn't taking any S@#?!!  from anyone, nor anything.  It's a little hard to see in the photo's, as it is blending into the background  very well.   I let it be it's cantankerous-self and drove  on over to a new( to me anyway) wash where I did manage to find this 1.02 Gram flat-pancake-shaped nugget.  I was using my 14" Evo coil, which I haven't been using much of.  Also managed to pull out about 15 chunks of old lead bullets;...a good sign that no one has been detecting up this particular wash.  

SAM_1523.JPG

SAM_1524.JPG

SAM_1525.JPG

SAM_1531.JPG

SAM_1532.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 8
  • wow 1

WTG on the gold and letting the cantankerous old fart go. :) Very nice nug and it sounds like your on a new spot! 

Tom H.

Wow, that's one angry looking reptile. I really like snakes, but the ones that rattle make me hairs stand up. Glad you saw him first, and congrats on the gold!

Regards, 

Kyle

Nice going Gary.  :thumbsupanim

:head:

Definitely a nice chunk. Good job. 

Very nice !  :head:
I need to get out and swing its been awhile.

Posted (edited)

The most dangerous thing in those photo`s is the foxtail grasses. Those darn things get in my boots, then into my socks, poke my feet etc.  :D They can ruin a whole day of detecting! :grr01:

Nice nugget though ! :brows:

Edited by adam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • wow 1

Nice nugget sir, congrats!

Adam ya need to wear yer snake guards , they will keep em out.

Nothing stops those foxtails Frank. Don't mess with mother nature!!!

Excellent nugget you found there. A very successful day.

• Haha 1

nice little corn flake

5 hours ago, adam said:

The most dangerous thing in those photo`s is the foxtail grasses. Those darn things get in my boots, then into my socks, poke my feet etc.  :D They can ruin a whole day of detecting! :grr01:

Yeah, then you spend an hour when you get home picking them out of your socks and boot laces. boorb

Nice nugget Gary!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, adam said:

Nailed that one Adam. Frigging fox tails fill up the socks then you spend all of lunch plucking them out. Then again at home.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, adam said:

Thanks for the comments "ALL"'....

Well adam I don't know that I would consider the foxtail grasses to be the "most dangerous" in my photo's, but I do agree that they not only hide a rattler "all-to-"Well"" when ya walk thru them; but I also do hate it when they hitch a ride in my socks, boots, and,... the cursed things really stick to my shoe laces :2mo5pow: .....And you sure don't want to just pluck them off when you get home and just let them fly in the wind outside your door step, as they will start growing on your property :ROFL:

As for ruining my detecting day,....that "I" did myself by not taking a backup battery for my detector that day. UGH :grr01: I usually keep my batteries well charged after each days usage, but it is hard to tell when they start "not holding" that charge, or when they start loosing their charge too fast during detector usage.  So, thinking that I had a fully charged battery, I was working my way slowly up the wash, and had only use the battery about 2-hours when I began hearing that dreaded warning sound that the battery makes when it is almost dead, on it's last leg, and/or is dying, ...or about to die.  So, if I hear that sound (which I have heard once or twice in the past), the next sound that I hear would be from me saying:..."Oh Crap!!!"   I was glad though that the very first spot that morning that gave me the very first signal was the one nugget that I found (the 15-20 other signals where all lead slugs).  It was kind of cool (and not-usually-of-the-norm) to just turn the detector on, ground balance it and then the first spot I put the coil over gave me the signal of that nugget!!!,.........What a way to start a day.  :4chsmu1:  So, Yes, I will be packing an extra (newer and charged) battery with me as backup from now on.  Gary

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:57 AM, adam said:

Adam:

I think I can help. Before you go out, wrap duct tape around your leg. From your boot to your knee. I think that will keep the foxtails out. Let me know how it goes. :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

• Haha 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

38 minutes ago, TomH said:

Adam:

I think I can help. Before you go out, wrap duct tape around your leg. From your boot to your knee. I think that will keep the foxtails out. Let me know how it goes. :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

It has to be wraped really really tight too!

And 1 roll per leg for added protection. 

• Like 2

Amazing how well that critter blends into the terrian.  Nice nugget!! Congrats

Hey LowPoint,

Nice gold, nice snake photos and good looking ground that the snake was coiled up on. I really think you need to go back and detect that spot to see if he was holding out on you . . . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BMc said:

Hey LowPoint,

Nice gold, nice snake photos and good looking ground that the snake was coiled up on. I really think you need to go back and detect that spot to see if he was holding out on you . . . 

Funny that you should mention that, as that is exactly what I did today.  I worked my way up a small wash where that rattler had slithered out of, and then had crossed the road where I got the photos of it.  I got about 4 to 5 chunks of lead targets first out of this hammered wash, and then got this nice signal up on the side bank about 18" above the actual low point of the wash.  The nugget ( just .03 shy of 1-gram) was down about 5" and covered up with rocks that had been slammed up against the bank from a time when the wash had been really running and moving a lot of overburden ( I call it a "push",..or rock-pile-up:89:).  Also got a couple of photo's of a very sleepy Horned lizard,.that did not want to move, and completely ignored me as I detected over it's body;...check out it's coloration (camo).   Gary    

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

SAM_1541.JPG

SAM_1542.JPG

SAM_1543.JPG

• Like 3
  • well done 2

That's a beauty! Cool Horny Toad too. Glad it was camo instead of green and trying to sell you car insurance while talking with  British accent . . . :)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, LowPoint said:

been slammed up against the bank

Looks like a polished slam if ya ask me!!  :thumbsupanim  Nice job... thanks for posting.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:26 AM, TomH said:

Adam:

Tom H.

So, im eating crow today as I should have done this myself! Went out to an area that had a LOT of foxtails.  They all seemed to want to work their way into the tongue of my boots and poke me. Im at least going to put Gorilla tape over the tongue area if I go back in there. :barnie:

Tom H.

Critters and gold!

Looks like a winning combination, stick with it!

All the best,

Lanny