Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

Hello. I'm new here and this is a new hobby for me. I have a few questions on which detector to get. I actually bought a Garrett AT Gold last week but i returned it unopened because i felt i could do better. So this leads me to a few questions. I will be Gold nugget hunting here in AZ. I'm leaning towards getting the Monster but was wondering what everyone else uses or recommends.

Gold Monster 1000, $800

Equinox 800, $900 I really am starting to like this better, can i just set it at 20kHz and add a EQX 6 inch coil?, will it beat the monster?

Gold Bug II, $700

Fisher F75, $550

Garrett AT Gold, $640

Edited by garikfox

".... will it beat the monster?"

Now that right there is funny on so many levels!

I like the GB2 in good ground. Although I beat the monster regularly I have never used the GM1000 so I have no direct experience. I hear that it is a monster that is mighty tough to beat.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, garikfox said:

Hello. I'm new here and this is a new hobby for me. I have a few questions on which detector to get. I actually bought a Garrett AT Gold last week but i returned it unopened because i felt i could do better. So this leads me to a few questions. I will be Gold nugget hunting here in AZ. I'm leaning towards getting the Monster but was wondering what everyone else uses or recommends.

Gold Monster 1000, $800

Equinox 800, $899 I really am starting to like this better, can i just set it at 20kHz and add a EQX 6 inch coil?, will it beat the monster?

Gold Bug II, $699

Fisher F75, $548

Garrett AT Gold, $637

There's an almost new Gold Bug 2 in the classifieds.:inocent:

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 3

Thank you for the comments. I like the GB2 and know it probably is superior but it doesn't have a readout, and for someone new like me i.m not sure if i should use something so advanced. it is cheaper though...hmm decisions.

If you don't have a "readout" just epoxy one to the top of the box. I have a tachometer from a 68 Camaro on my GB2. It looks fantastic!

If you do have a "readout" you can easily eliminate it by placing a piece of masking tape over it. Problem solved!

The GB2 is probably the least advanced of any detector. It is a bit noisy and probably a little more difficult to learn detecting with than the computerized jobs. It is shallow as hell and won't find a Cadillac past a foot or so. Within six inches it is as sensitive as hell and will squeal on a speck of gold you need binoculars to see. It is an awesome prospecting tool. It is just what a guy needs to find his first nugget.

The  GM1000 is the machine that beats the bug or so I am told.

So you are either beating the bug or beating the monster. :idunno:

I'm pretty new to this hobby, but I have both the Monster and the Equinox. Both will find the tiniest bits of metal you can imagine. I tend to reach for the Equinox more often, as I am learning that I prefer a threshold tone. I also greatly appreciate the wireless headphones, though they can be added to the Monster as well.

Having the ability to switch to a top rated coin and relic machine is no small factor either.

You will definitely need the 6" coil for nugget hunting, so plan on around $1100.

You won't make a mistake with either one.

Good luck!

Regards, Kyle

The audio boost on the GM1000 is great, the audio boost on the GB2 is great, not so much on the equinox 800 in gold modes. Don't expect much for depth with any of the VLF nugget detectors they are all surface machines for tiny gold. Just a few pointers. I am in between vlf nugget detectors right now, my last one, a GB2 was very successful for tiny gold, but noisy. I am waiting awhile to see what new machines turn up on the open market for sale. There might be a Minelab Multi IQ dedicated nugget machine in the works dunno for sure, lots of rumors floating around right now.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, garikfox said:

bought a Garrett AT Gold last week but i returned it unopened

That was a good decision.

I did not see the Whites GMT 24K in your list . You should consider it. I wish I could get my hands on one for a day.

For gold nuggets and you being new user, I would recommend the Gold Monster 1000 , or the Whites GMT 24K .

• Like 2

I have a Monster 1000, a GB2, a GMT, A Whites VSAT, an SD1000 and a ML 4500...I would suggest the GB2 ... or the Monster 1000... Actually any of the older GoldMasters (except GM4)...When you're ready to advance go to a ML3500, then on up from there as you progress... Good luck and Cheers, Unc

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm still deciding on what to get. I really want a GPZ 7000 but 8 grand? wow!

I have researched White's 24k and it seems very good too. There was a very experienced lady on another prospector forums that said she didn't like whites she thought they were overpriced and cheap, I think her name was Debbie? she was out with minelab one day or something. I actually like the White's.

hmm, decisions decisions... :)

Edited by garikfox

Uncle Ron, I see the Minelab GPX-4500 is a awesome device. I can't wait to get a PI device.

Is there a 3500? i cant find one except on a Bounty Hunter brand.

I see your in Wickenburg, i'm thinking that will be my first place i want to go very soon after i get my detector.

Do you usually go out in summer? i want too but i don't want the heat to slowly kill me new detector.

The new GPX4500 is the best deal out there for an all around nugget machine, lots of different coils available, 14x9 Evo NF will detect #9 birdshot to 3" no problem, switch to a 14" elite or 15" NF evo coil and you can hit gram size gold to 15" or so in medium soils. Bigger Gold deeper.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From what i read the GPX-4500 is a PI device? I'm assuming the PI devices are best.

I wish i could get one of those, that's a lot of money. I wonder if i treat it as a investment how long it would take to pay itself off. :)

Edited by garikfox

1 hour ago, garikfox said:

I wish i could get one of those

Well,

So do I but until then,  I continue to find gold with older tech.  The GM1000 would be a great user friendly option for you to get started in the hobby, and that thing can find gold very well.  

Posted (edited)

I know im probably dragging this decision out but im actually thinking of using my investment money to get a GPX-4500.

Realistically thinking though, I will be getting the GM24K. I'll also add the little saucer coil to the 24K.

Wait! maybe the NOX800 instead of the GM1000. Maybe GM24K and NOX800 :)

I think i'm going to drive myself crazy deciding lol :)

Edited by garikfox

5 hours ago, garikfox said:

From what i read the GPX-4500 is a PI device? I'm assuming the PI devices are best.

I wish i could get one of those, that's a lot of money. I wonder if i treat it as a investment how long it would take to pay itself off. :)

3 hours ago, garikfox said:

I know im probably dragging this decision out but im actually thinking of using my investment money to get a GPX-4500.

Realistically thinking though, I will be getting the GM24K. I'll also add the little saucer coil to the 24K.

Garik,

Not wanting to bust your bubble...but just keep in mind that there are some people who it took years to find their first nugget, others not so long but still metal detecting for gold is said to be one of the hardest ways to find gold, and then there are people who have been doing this for a very long time and because they know how to do the proper research for new areas and know what to look for out in the field to hunt for gold and those guys are usually the ones who can possibly pay off their detectors, most never do.

One of the best ways to find gold in the desert is to do your research find some small and fine gold in the dirt by testing and then bust your ass running all the material down to bedrock through a dry washer, you will still want a metal detector to help out doing this but start slow and get a good detector that will hit on small gold, the Gold Monster, GoldBug or White 24K, the PI detectors are nice for hitting deeper gold and shallow gold but I would work my way up to a PI....if you prove to yourself you can find gold to began with.

So again I would start slow get a good VLF detector and if you find metal detecting is not what you hoped it would be you can still sell the detector for good price although it will still be less than what you paid for it and hopefully if you found any gold you will come out OK and not lose any money.

I wish you the best of luck but I wanted you to look at the reality of this and go out and enjoy yourself in the beautiful desert more so than to get out there and be disappointed if you don't do as well as you hope you would. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

do the monster mash :thumbsupanim

its a goldfield smash 

& ez to learn 

then if you get more involved & find nugget hunting is for you get a pulse

Edited by WLTDWIZ

I didn't even think of a PI detector until down the road. Just remember to invest wisely. Dont spend more than you have to. Also, most people keep their vlf machines when they bump up to a PI.  For me , I got the gold bug 2 for myself, the gm1000 came shortly after. Sdc2300 around 1 year later.  

• Like 2

My advice for newbies is to always "learn to walk before you learn to run." Start with a good VLF, and determine whether nuggetshooting is really for you. To be honest about it, most people who buy a prospecting detector do so after seeing pictures of massive piles of nuggets, and they think nuggetshooting is easy. But it's not. As mentioned above, some folks search for years and find little or nothing.  If you find that nuggetshooting is not for you, sell your machine, and move on. Which is why I don't recommend a newbies' first machine to be highly expensive. In my own case, back in 1983 I bought a Garret A2b, and practiced for hours in my yard. And I read everything in print, which wasn't much. My first outing was with Jimmy Sierra and Woody Woodworth, two of nuggetshootings earliest icons. After three hard days of detecting, I found a raisin-sized piece. The first thing I said was not "Eureka," but "Well, it's about time!." Bottom line: buy a Goldmaster 24k with both the 10x6 AND 6.5, searchcoils, get a set of high performance headphones, a nugget cup, my book "Advanced Nuggetshooting with the Goldmaster 24k" , do your site-locating research, and go at it. Hope you do well. HH Jim

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

AU Seeker, thank you for your expertise. I'm planning on going out maybe twice a week. I don't work because i'm a caregiver for my ailing/dying twin brother and mentally unstable mother. So i'm looking forward to getting out of this house before i myself go mentally unstable lol. Thank you and I will be getting my first VLF very soon.

Edited by garikfox
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

WLTDWIZThanks for your feedback :) 

Edited by garikfox
  • Like 1

Knifemaker84, Thank you for your great advice. I will listen. I will get a VLF as my first device.

Thanks again Jimmy M, I appreciate your help :)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, garikfox said:

garikfox: I don't know how much research you have done on the 24K but here's a review by Steve Herchbach you might want to consider. Also, keep in mind that although many nugget shooters go the incremental route as described by Knifemaker84 (I was no exception); beginning with a GB2, then a Minelab XT18000, and finally a ML SD2200 about a year after I first started chasing gold. Personally, I wish I had gone to the SD originally or at least sooner, but I didn't know then, what I found out through experience over time.  IMO, the expense of a PI is justified by it's ability to detect gold much deeper, and handle hot, highly mineralized ground, much better. I did keep the GB2 for more moderate ground and for working the walls of deep washes since it's light weight and normally, easier to extend your reach with than a PI (for me at least)

As far as paying for itself, I'm probably still upside down on the 3K I paid for the SD2200, but back when spot gold was 300-350 an oz, it usually took longer to make it back. Nevertheless, not long ago I plinked down another 3K plus, for a GPX 5000. Why? I have no idea. But I plan to spend this summer in Wyoming searching for the answer . . .

Detailed Review Of White's New Goldmaster 24K

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7505-detailed-review-of-whites-new-goldmaster-24k/

The White's Goldmaster 24K is a new 48 kHz gold nugget detector released in the fall of 2018. Production models started shipping in September and White's forwarded one to me to check out. What follows are my thoughts after a couple days of detecting for gold on several northern Nevada nugget patches . . .

. . . I have been getting lots of messages from people who seem to think I have secret private information regarding which over 30 kHz detector is best. The truth is not much has changed since the 50 kHz Goldmaster II came out around 1990. I can drag a half dozen of these “over 30 kHz” nugget detectors out and spend hours trying to figure out which one I like best. They basically all get the job done, and none so well as to make the others not worth consideration.

It very much does boil down to what feels best on my arm and sounds best to my ear. Most importantly, which machine is best depends a lot on the exact mix of ground, hot rocks, size and type of gold, the amount of trash, and level of operator expertise. This being true I might prefer one model at one location, and a different one someplace else. This is actually almost guaranteed.

I just don’t see how anyone can make decisions like this based on anything other than getting and using the detectors in question. Sure, I could pick one for you, but you might hate it for reasons that matter not at all to me.

I think the 24K is a fine machine but my gut feeling based on memory is no, it does not automatically blow the GMT away. It’s just different, that’s all, and I have no idea whether a die hard GMT user would consider this an upgrade or not. From my perspective going from one 48 kHz detector to another 48 kHz detector is a side step. To really add capability you need machines to be as different as possible, not the same as possible. Will switching from a GMT to a 24K make a giant difference in gold getting capability? Not really. Would adding a TDI SL to a GMT extend a prospectors capability in a significant way? Much more likely.

So if I was going nugget detecting tomorrow and had to pick one, the GMT or 24K, which would it be? I honestly do not have a preference. I tend to trust the GMT more as being the “old reliable” but I did like the concentric on the 24K. Yet I have never used that coil on the GMT and it might do just as well. Gun to head I would probably go with the 24K just because it’s new and I do like the new toys. But if a GMT owner gets a 24K and says they prefer the GMT I am not going to argue with them either. If I can barely decide which machine of four I like best when they are sitting in front of me then I have to really, really sympathize with those trying to make these decisions just based on reading reviews.

Edited by Au Seeker
To add a link to the topic on Steve's forum
  • Like 1