Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  

14 hours ago, garikfox said:

Hello again everyone!

I have just ordered my first metal detector! I'm very excited !!

So i bet you all are wondering what i got... :)

After many hours of research and with the help from you all, I decided to go with the Equinox 800 :) I also purchased the EQX 06 DD coil, i'm pretty sure that was a good idea to add it.

It will be here Thursday :)

Good move based on your situation, since you can do a lot of things with it in addition to nugget hunting. Coin shooting can keep you interested in swinging a coil, because you'll usually have more immediate validation for your efforts vs nugget shooting. Congrats!

• Like 2

Thank you BMc :)

An excellent choice among many options.

Coin hunting is great fun but a miserable training ground for nugget hunting...two different worlds.

If you want to practice nugget hunting near home, try hunting for the smallest bits of aluminum in parks. This will teach you what a small target sounds like and you may even snag some gold/silver jewelry along the way. 

read the manual and practice, practice, practice.

Thank you :)

I've read the manual and i'm ready for practice :)

Posted (edited)

I have question about the minelab pro-find 15, I purchased one and i was wondering if i should return it?

I don't really see anyone else using one for some reason.

Edited by garikfox

I have the pf 35. I use it . But rarely.  It will speed up recovery, but only when your pin pointer can see . Some detectors are so "good" that it will see what a pin pointer wont (tiny gold).   If  you think you might be digging relics also it would be wise to keep it. 

• Like 2

Thanks Knifemaker84, It's a cool device. Now to find out how long the battery lasts. I never seem to have luck with 9v batteries lasting in anything.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, garikfox said:

I have question about the minelab pro-find 15, I purchased one and i was wondering if i should return it?

I don't really see anyone else using one for some reason.

If you're hunting for gold nuggets, you'll need to learn to isolate the target 'manually'.   Sorry to say, most nuggets you are going to find, won't be big enough for the pinpointer to be of any use.  It's an extra tool, an extra set of variables and possibilities, something you'll probably lose at least once, something extra to carry....   no matter how light it may be.  Unnecessary in my opinion.  Learn to use your scoop.

Pinpointers become more valuable if you're digging deep holes looking for larger targets.

If you're hunting for coins and relics, then a pinpointer is a good thing to have.

Good Luck out there.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 3

I have a pro find 35 and would be lost hunting coins without it at times in the sand . Been close to a year and still got original battery in it.

think Bill even used one to pin point nuggets...but nuggets are not the norm for a pin pointer…..coins sure are

• Like 1

I carry a pinpointer because mine is sensitive to small gold -Stock Whites TRX :inocent:I mainly use it for bedrock or deep holes when using a big coil it makes it alot easier for me and I dont have to worry about Fnn up the nugget :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LukeJ said:

If you're hunting for gold nuggets, you'll need to learn to isolate the target 'manually'.   Sorry to say, most nuggets you are going to find, won't be big enough for the pinpointer to be of any use.  It's an extra tool, an extra set of variables and possibilities, something you'll probably lose at least once, something extra to carry....   no matter how light it may be.  Unnecessary in my opinion.  Learn to use your scoop.

Pinpointers become more valuable if you're digging deep holes looking for larger targets.

If you're hunting for coins and relics, then a pinpointer is a good thing to have.

Good Luck out there.  :thumbsupanim

The subject of isolating the target manually, (ie; pinpointing the signal location before digging in the wrong place), often is covered in the detector manual and may include: approaching the target from one direction, then detecting perpendicular to your first approach, which may help narrow down your search field somewhat. Finally, turning the coil on edge and repeating the above may further reduce the target area, allowing you to concentrate on a relatively small diameter piece of ground to excavate. Then, your scoop or plastic cup should be able to help you finish the job.

Recommendation: If you are having a problem pinpointing a signal, scrub the ground with a good super magnet to capture the small, annoying pieces of ferrous metal, boot tacks, wire, nails etc. That can be a big time saver by eliminating many of your trash targets. If your still have a signal after doing the above,  (it's probably still only a shotgun pellet, bullet, piece of aluminum, etc. etc. almost ad infinitum, but not quite. In that case, keep digging. It might just be the "not quite" that you're looking for.  :)

• Like 2

Hello again everyone, now back from my first two sites i have learned a few things. I learned that the Whites TRX is too sensitive, it kept beeping all over the place because of the bad ground (im assuming).

The Equinox worked great with the 6 inch coil. I found a 1980 penny and two 9mm casing

Also on a side note i have bought a Goldmonster 1000 as a Secondary machine. :)

• Like 2