Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

BMc, Thank you very much for your information. I'm most likely going to get the GM24K.

I'm curious what do you think about the limited time deal on the White's TDI SL Special Edition for only $1050?

It's significantly less expensive than the GPX-4500

Edited by garikfox

Hi garikfox, I've read this post with interest the last couple of days and there is a lot of really good advice in it from very experienced people.  I want to add my thoughts but please keep in mind I've only been at this for a little over a year now, so I am still very new to it.

I just recently purchased a new VLF gold detector.  I did my research and it came down to either the 24k or Gold Monster 1000, I believe they are both excellent VLF gold machines and you can't go wrong with either one.  I ended up with the GM since my local dealer sells Minelab detectors and he helped me sell an AT Gold to partially fund the purchase.

Last summer I picked up a TDI SL SE, to answer your question about it vs a GPX....there is no comparison!  I'm basing that off using a GPX 5000 and TDI SL side by side, the 5000 saw both smaller and deeper targets.  My understanding is the only difference between the 4500 and 5000 are a couple of added timings for the 5000 so results should be very comparable.  Knowing that though the TDI is still my go to prospecting machine, being as lightweight as it is I find it way more comfortable to swing than the GPX.

I hopes this helps sir.

• Like 2

Garifox

you should be completely confused and befuddled by now. 

If money is a concern start small...

If you must have the newest, brightest toy; go BIG!

When I started in 1980 I had visions of big nuggets and great wealth...my first detected nugget came after many vain and false starts...the size of a grain of rice!!!

What a thrill, what a memory! 

I have done moderately well since, learned a lot and made many great friends. There in lies the real gold.

good luck

fred

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Thanks AllenJ, the 24k does indeed look nice, i'm liking it more than the rest. But than again the GM1000 will end up being cheaper because i'd have to buy the extra concentric coil for the 24k. Hmm...

I sent a email to White's and they replied promptly to my inquiry about their TDI SL SE.

My email said.

Hello, I was wondering if your TDI SL special edition was comparable to minelab gpx-4500?

They replied.

Dear Garik Fox

Thank you for your interest in White’s products.

Yes, White’s TDI SL Special addition is comparable to all the high power pulse models.

Typically, the TDI SL Special Addition is a fraction of the price, a fraction of the weight, and provides comparable performance.

Sincerely

Steve Howard

White’s USA

Edited by garikfox

Posted (edited)

fredmason, Thanks. Yeah it is kind of :) , i'm trying to figure out what would be best for me. I think i got it narrowed down. 24k or GM1000

Edited by garikfox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, garikfox said:

BMc, Thank you very much for your information. I'm most likely going to get the GM24K.

I'm curious what do you think about the limited time deal on the White's TDI SL Special Edition for only $1050?

It's significantly less expensive than the GPX-4500

5 hours ago, AllenJ said:

Hi garikfox, I've read this post with interest the last couple of days and there is a lot of really good advice in it from very experienced people.  I want to add my thoughts but please keep in mind I've only been at this for a little over a year now, so I am still very new to it.

I just recently purchased a new VLF gold detector.  I did my research and it came down to either the 24k or Gold Monster 1000, I believe they are both excellent VLF gold machines and you can't go wrong with either one.  I ended up with the GM since my local dealer sells Minelab detectors and he helped me sell an AT Gold to partially fund the purchase.

Last summer I picked up a TDI SL SE, to answer your question about it vs a GPX....there is no comparison!  I'm basing that off using a GPX 5000 and TDI SL side by side, the 5000 saw both smaller and deeper targets.  My understanding is the only difference between the 4500 and 5000 are a couple of added timings for the 5000 so results should be very comparable.  Knowing that though the TDI is still my go to prospecting machine, being as lightweight as it is I find it way more comfortable to swing than the GPX.

I hopes this helps sir.

Using the 5000, I wear a pouch type hip mount for the processor/battery for weight distribution, and a converted Fisher GB Pro "S" rod which makes it lighter and a lot easier and more comfortable to maneuver (for me) From what I hear about the 4500, they're an excellent unit. I have seen the TDI in action and no doubt they find gold. I don't know how they stack up for depth or how they handle hot ground. I stayed with the ML because I know from experience that they will do that quite nicely (IMO)

garikfox: I'm not a White's guy, but I would get a TDI over a 24K and truth be told, for my money's worth and if I was just starting out, I would pick up a good used GB2 instead, with a 6.5 and a 10 inch coil and learn how to use it. (Steve H. seemed to prefer the GMT) I will admit the 24K looks pretty sexy though . . . :)

I've run across a couple of users in the field who had good things to say about the Gold Racer. At 54 kHz they should be sensitive to smaller, as well as larger nuggets. The comments were that hot rocks/mineralization is still an issue (at Wickenberg) but manageable. You might look at the Makro Multi Kruzer which has three frequencies to choose from (5 kHz, 14 kHz and 19 kHz). Features: Waterproof to 5 meters (16 feet) and increased depth function. Basically similar ability to handle hot ground. Expectations are that it will be OK in moderate to slightly hot areas but the real hot stuff will still be an issue as with "most" VLF detectors. I just picked one up for a combo coin, water and prospecting tool to see how it performs. It seems to be built well, has a good screen/meter set up, rechargeable batter plus extra battery pack option. Accurate on coins, and discriminates satisfactorily on ferrous, trash and bottle caps so far IMO. I'll try it in the gold fields later this summer.

You might also check out the Makro Gold Kruzer at 61 kHz. Good reviews and features on that one as well.

Posted (edited)

Hey thanks BMc. I'll study them. They tout quality and their detectors do look pretty good.

Oh i was going to ask do you go out metal detecting in the summer's here in AZ? I want to but i don't want the heat to slowly kill my new detector.

Edited by garikfox

a thing to think about is...If you buy a detector from Bill , you also get instructions too...in my opinion it would be...GLOD monster for just  GOLD OR Equinox 800 for general hunting, Talk to Bill about your choice on either machine...can't go wrong buying from a GREAT dealer.....my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, garikfox said:

Hey thanks BMc. I'll study them. They tout quality and their detectors do look pretty good.

Oh i was going to ask do you go out metal detecting in the summer's here in AZ? I want to but i don't want the heat to slowly kill my new detector.

Don't worry about the heat slowly killing your detector . . . :rolleyes: And no, I do not come anywhere close to AZ until Nov 1st, unless the last week of Oct drops below 100 degrees. Then maybe. The locals usually hunt early and late in the day, or at night. The heat is life threatening, which can't be over emphasized and must be taken seriously. Even experienced Desert Rats get into trouble sometimes. Always go with someone, don't venture far from your vehicle, stay hydrated (drink water frequently, thirsty or not) Be cautious and don't over do it 'til you get a feel for it. After that no one should have to warn you because hopefully, you will begin to sense how dangerous it can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

garikfox: What azdigger said. Starting out, that is very good advice. But whatever detector you decide to buy, I highly recommend that you take the time to make at least one purchase from the Nuggetshooter, even if it's just an accessory of some kind. And go to his storefront in Morristown and pick it up in person. Unless he happens to be extremely busy at the time, you will likely be able to get 20 minutes or more, of the most valuable prospecting/nugget-hunting advice that is available anywhere. (or not available anywhere) This will put you a long ways ahead of what you might be reading on the internet or in generalist type publications. This is the inside scoop. I kid you not. And the beauty of it is, much of it is localized information pertaining to LSD (Wickenberg) and the Bradshaw mountain area.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

In Az summer time is night hunting time!

Edit: this is dangerous but it will allow focus to a very small area. When the sun is out you can see everything which might make one wonder around. Night time you can only see whats in front of you so it allows for a more focused dig. I have found lots of gold when i "snipe" this way.

Edited by Knifemaker84

5 hours ago, garikfox said:

2 hours ago, Knifemaker84 said:

In Az summer time is night hunting time!

Edit: this is dangerous but it will allow focus to a very small area. When the sun is out you can see everything which might make one wonder around. Night time you can only see whats in front of you so it allows for a more focused dig. I have found lots of gold when i "snipe" this way.

The desert in summertime is a killer if you're not well prepared and even then it can still be deadly, I agree that night time hunting is a very good idea if you're detecting in the summertime.

One thing no one has mentioned is SNAKES, be sure to get a good pair of snake gaiters and or snake boots and wear them day or night in the desert, this is even more important when hunting at night, snakes are very active in the summer at night and are much harder to spot as well, also never stick your hands anywhere you can't see everything extremely clearly, better to stick the coil, your pick or a stick into an area when you can't see what's there than to get bitten on the hand by a snake trying to defend itself and never kill any snakes, you're in their home out there.

• Like 4

I thank you all for the great information :)

Yes i think i'l try some night hikes. I've lived in AZ all my life and always wanted to get a good metal detector. Kinda funny i actually owned a little one as a kid it was a radioshack and i think it was orange and silver, lol

I have another question if i may. Should i spend the money for the roadrunner club? i think its lifetime membership for $1800 and you get access to their claims and maps. This is a ton of money for me to spend though.

Garik, purchase a year's membership first. Also, join the GPAA for year, too. After a year you will know if nuggetshooting is for you. HH jim

• Like 3
  • well done 1

Money comes and goes (dont break yourself). I have always held a gpaa membership. Meeting other people that are like minded will be the major benefit of joining a club. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. I was thinking about this club situation. I'f i were to join and receive their maps, claim rights etc. wouldn't these "sites" be all picked clean?

I think i'd prefer to go where no mans gone before :)

Also i'm probably going to be getting the GM1000. I know the 24k is good but me being new i think that would be best. I'll probably be getting it soon i'm just debating if i should get it now or wait until it starts to cool down here in AZ.

Edited by garikfox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, garikfox said:

Thanks guys. I was thinking about this club situation. I'f i were to join and receive their maps, claim rights etc. wouldn't these "sites" be all picked clean?

I think i'd prefer to go where no mans gone before :)

When you find out where "no man has gone before" be sure to let the rest of us know!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man goes everywhere is an old saying but it's also a basic truism that nobody ever gets it all, not even the best nugget shooters that score more than most.  Reason(s) being: weathering, erosion, wind and water that seasonally replenishes seemingly worked out sites. Flash flooding turns creek beds over continuously, especially in desert regions. Small hillside rivulets feed nuggets into main washes, gold erodes out of the banks of gullies etc. Plus,  we walk over gold and just flat miss it sometimes. But your point is well taken. The easy access and heavily worked claims tend to make the gold more scarce than the remote and harder to get to gold. But club claims still have gold waiting to be found. So it's not a bad entry level investment as a way to get started. After you master your detector(s) and develop a prospecting approach that works for you, you'll probably be a tight lipped BLM-er like a lot of experienced former club members.

• Like 2

Thank you BMc. I like to thank everyone for their help. I will be ordering my detector probably today. :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hello again everyone!

I have just ordered my first metal detector! I'm very excited !!

So i bet you all are wondering what i got... :)

After many hours of research and with the help from you all, I decided to go with the Equinox 800 :) I also purchased the EQX 06 DD coil, i'm pretty sure that was a good idea to add it.

It will be here Thursday :)

Edited by garikfox
  • Like 5

Super good choice....just my opinion....I have one and love it.

Congrats on your choice, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.  Let us know how you do.