Nugget Shooter Forums
nova_foresta

New member with iron object find

Hello All.

Would someone be able to help me identify this object please? Found during a walk in the New Forest in S England. No other similar objects nearby. It's clearly metallic, deflects a compass needle, and is strongly attracted to magnets. Density is around 6-8 g/cm3.

I suspect it's a just a piece of rusty old man-made iron, but wanted to check with others. I filed a little off one end to expose the shiny metal.

Many thanks.

IMG_0892-1.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

You're right sir. It's a piece of R.M.M.M. (Rusty miscellaneous mystery metal) . . .

Welcome to the forum!

From looking at a map of where you found it I see there is a shoreline, if it was found on a beach it could have come from some type of marine vessel, or shoreline structure,  if more inland then it could be anything but also could be a bit from military action during WWII. 

Posted (edited)

Many thanks for your replies. It was found about 10 miles inland. There appear to be some small crystalline objects embedded in it, and a larger red/brown crystalline substance visible on one side (bottom of second photo).

Edited by nova_foresta