Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Morlock

Saffordite- Tektites or Obsidian?

Saw an ad for Saffordite recently. Seems like there's a debate whether they are tektites or just plain obsidian. Modern technology should be able to put this issue to rest. Or maybe it has. Anyone have any opinions as to what these really are.

They are almost certainly terrestrial obsidian.

Of course the Crystal Gazers and New Agers want them to be cosmic...the less enlightened believe they are earthly...

Almost is not a certainty...

Mike, if you were to venture a scientific guess, what percentage of Certainty would it be?

0 to 100 being the scale

fred

Obsidian,

Saffordites are a lovely lavender colored natural glass stone found only in one place on Earth. Often called Saffordite tektites or sometimes referred to as Arizona Tektites, they are really members of the obsidian glass family of rocks. Saffordite stones are mysterious in many ways. For example, Saffordite hunting has been enjoyed by many people for years and yet the source where Saffordites originate has never been found. They may have been moved by water many miles during the ages they have been in the ground.

Saffordite (Cintamani Stone)
Saffordites usually have a round or oval shape which supports the idea that they have been tumbled and shaped by agitation in flowing water. The surface of Saffordites is usually pitted with cup-shaped depressions similar to the ones found in tektites. Some Saffordites are gemmy clear and sparkling when held to a light. Other Saffordites are banded or translucent instead of clear. Some are opaque but each type of Saffordite will appear very black when seen without light from behind. When they are viewed with a light from behind they truly show off their inner beauty. The banded Saffordites are often especially interesting when backlit.

Cheers!

billpeters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Of course the Crystal Gazers and New Agers want them to be cosmic...the less enlightened believe they are earthly...

Mike, if you were to venture a scientific guess, what percentage of Certainty would it be?

0 to 100 being the scale

fred

No one asked me, but If they're black, partially transparent, and in the shape of an Indian arrowhead, I would go with just about 100% certainty. I could be wrong of course . . . :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikestang said:

They are almost certainly terrestrial obsidian.

I agree 99.9% home grown obsidian.

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

0 to 100 being the scale

fred

I add "almost" because I haven't done all the homework personally, but from everyone I have talked to about them, and everything I've heard about them from those that are way more interested in tektites than I am, I would be at 99 on the scale.

• Like 1

Thanks,

I wonder if there is a general map of the area? I have a son in Tucson and it seems they aren't very far from there...

fred

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Thanks,

I wonder if there is a general map of the area? I have a son in Tucson and it seems they aren't very far from there...

fred

Found this but no map.

https://www.vofoundation.org/blog/hunting-for-saffordites-east-of-mt-graham-and-the-vatican-telescope-pt-2/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

Thanks,

fred

Yes they are very close to Tucson, I have a friend who hunts them there with Twink Monrad often.  If you and your son want to go looking shoot me a PM and I'll reach out to him for more specific information.

• Like 1

I followed this link and look, there's Larry and Twink heh. :)