Nugget Shooter Forums

In my uneducated opinion, I think it'd be worth it to take a hammer and split it, but I'm thinking of it as a terrestrial rock, not a meteorite.  I think it'd be interesting to see if its black all the way through.  I don't have the tools to file it or cut it, so I would not even attempt that.

Daffy,

It's a water worn terrestrial rock. I would take a file to it and file off the pointiest part.  You are unlikely to find a fingernail thin crust nor silver metal flecks inside, but you might be able to discern what type of ore it is. If it is all grey it won't be a meteorite. 

Cheers!

billpeters

• 1 month later...

just saw these replies grinded a bit off with a diamond file, looks metallic in the light and also dark coloured, kind of different from every angle, then when i wet it looks glassy with small metal flakes, set my metal detector off strong iron signal that changed to a different signal, still have no idea what this is and its driving me insane lol

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

concrete coloured streak, when i first cut it with my bench grinder just took a small part off it looked exactly like black glass  took a bit more off with the diamond file, doesnt fracture like glass

61107658_345951442709586_1048953750963617792_n.jpg