Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PG-Prospecting

Found my first Virginia patch

Got out with a buddy this past weekend in the great state of Virginia.  We both dredged on sat, then on sunday he continued to dredge and decided to fire the GM 1000 up and see if i could find anything.  My buddy was on chucky gold and nuggets with his dredge, so I started detecting a section of exposed bedrock a short distance up stream from him.  

Got the detector up and running and ground balanced in the water, (settings were auto+ in all metal) swing a few time and she pops off.  The probability meter was swinging both ways, I pull out my little crevice tool and pop open the little crack and out pops some nice shiny.  Was about a 2.5 grain picker, and ended being my biggest piece for the day.  

20190505_100813.jpg

I continue on and each target i hit keeps being gold, which is something i have not experienced before.  I will say the probability meter was jumping around on each target, hence why it is ignored lol.  All in all i got thirteen pickers in about 1.5 hours from about 5 square feet of bedrock, for a total of 8.2 grains.  The bedrock in this spot is decomposed and can be crushed in your hand.  I also had a few signals that came from exposed bedrock with no evident cracks, but once i ripped into it with a little pick out would pop a picker.  I believe that there use to be a crack there, but since the bedrock is so soft the erosion force of the stream has melded some of the cracks back together.  This i why when i hit these soft bedrock spots while dredging i will rip into it up to 6 inches or more.  

20190505_143531.jpg20190505_143722.jpg

Im stoked i found this little spot.  And i will be taking the equinox 800 and the gm1000 there this evening to continue sweeping the exposed bedrock and test both detectors on small gold.  Based on what my buddy pulled from downstream a little bit with his dredge, there is the potential for much bigger chucks to be nearby.  Pictures below are from his clean out  on saturday.  And once the exposed bedrock is swept with the detector we will clean up whats left with dredges, so that nothing escapes.  

20190505_085403.jpg20190504_195942.jpg

Hopefully this little paystreak hold out for a good while and produces some big gold that this locality is known for.  

• Like 13
  • well done 5

That is a great day sir, congrats.

I'm impressed. We don't normally see much gold from the east coast. Congrats.

WoW!!   I'm impressed. Really nice going. When I first read the heading i thought that you misspelled "Virgin" patch.:rolleyes:

I was told a long, long time ago, as a geology student in collage, that the Potomac River had gold in it. You must be in the same area.

Again, Congratz.

Very Nice PG-P!!

There's very good gold in Virginia this I know for a fact, I have seen many, many ounces from there.

I have several gold prospecting friends up in Virginia, we all used to be on Va-Gold forum but it's now off line, were you a member of Va-Gold forum or ever visit the forum?

Boorx4 - Thanks!  Where did you go to school for geology, i went to college for geology at Slippery Rock University of PA.  And yes the Potomac has gold in it, but since it is technically in Maryland you cant do any form of prospecting on it.  Virginia's prospecting laws are much better.  

AU Seeker - Yes i was a member of VA gold and i started prospecting at Contrary back in 2014.  I never met Shack but ive read many of his posts, since VA gold is gone now i havent heard anything from Shack on any of the other gold prospecting FB pages or other forums.  I have started a Virginia Gold Prospectors Facebook Page, so that there is some sort of rallying point for Virginia prospectors, and to help beginners learn the ropes and meet up with other prospectors.  

10 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

Boorx4 - Thanks!  Where did you go to school for geology, i went to college for geology at Slippery Rock University of PA.  And yes the Potomac has gold in it, but since it is technically in Maryland you cant do any form of prospecting on it.  Virginia's prospecting laws are much better.  

Greetings PG-Prospecting,

I know Slippery Rock Univ. well.  I went to Waynesburg College (now a university)  Am from Uniontown, PA.  Just had to move to Arizona so I could look for gold.

Bob

11 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

AU Seeker - Yes i was a member of VA gold and i started prospecting at Contrary back in 2014.  I never met Shack but ive read many of his posts, since VA gold is gone now i havent heard anything from Shack on any of the other gold prospecting FB pages or other forums.  I have started a Virginia Gold Prospectors Facebook Page, so that there is some sort of rallying point for Virginia prospectors, and to help beginners learn the ropes and meet up with other prospectors.  

Awesome, post a link to the Facebook page, I would like to check it out.

I've gotten out of contact with most of those guys since the demise of Va-Gold, David A.K.A. Shack, Kevin N.C., Adawg, Jason from New York, and a few others, most of them don't even post on their personal Facebook pages any more, I still have all of their email address and phone number if the numbers and addresses are still valid, I need to shoot them an email to see what's up, the 4 I mentioned all have or used to have claims in California and another 1 or 2 more western states and used to go out there every year to dredge for gold, once California stopped the dredging they would still go out and do other types of prospecting/mining but I haven't heard of any of them going out there in the last few years but they still could be doing it.

PG-Prospecting that is an awesome post and a significant amount of gold. I had no idea of gold in Virginia.

I'm curious how pure the gold you get is from there? 

Au Seeker - This should take you to the FB page, ill have to approve you as a member.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/378993799241791/?ref=bookmarks

Fishing8046 - Yep there is some really nice gold in VA the key is getting access to the old mines since they are all on private property, no claims here.  Purity ranges around 21 to 23 karat.  

Boorx4 - I grew up in Beaver County.  I started prospecting after I found out there was gold in VA.  It escalated quickly, from a pan to 4 inch dredge in less then a year, and some nice nuggets to boot along the way.  I still have yet to prospect outside of VA, but I hope to eventually do some detecting out in Arizona and dredging in Alaska.  

• Like 1

That is so fricking cool and in VA