Nugget Shooter Forums

I don't usually complain unless its warranted, but I have to say the new Keene 151S drywash recovery boxes have major design flaws. Recently I built a 5 bank drywasher I decided to go with the new 151s Boxes. Boy was that an expensive mistake...at 550 bucks a pop I wish i would have gone with the Royal boxes instead. Number #1 flaw the glue they use to secure the silk screen onto the aluminum gave way the first season of perhaps 10 hours of use. I am having to now find a better adhesive to redo all my new 151s boxes. Flaw #2, the trays and the boxes are not fitting making cleanups a royal pain in the rear..boorb. I took all my trays out of the boxes and measured each tray to the opening of the box wear it slides in. Each one is off by 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch so when you painfully try to install the trays onto the boxes it a Royal pain. They don't fit correctly in at all. Again i don't usually Bitch but this is driving me crazy...it shouldn't be so difficult to slide these in and slide them out. I regret buying these boxes. The extra matting they provide (gray in color ) to slide the tray on makes it even more difficult to slide them in and lock them on the opposite side... Soo think twice, maybe three times before you buy a Keene 151s drywasher.  I did communicate with Pat and he stated they are more difficult to install.. when i sent him a detailed explanation with pictures and measurements I got no response !!! Poor quality control, poor manufacturing practice hence a poor product. Ok , I feel better now.....I wish I had my old Keene 151....I had no problesm, sometimes good things aught to be left alone. The trays slide in and out....no freakin problem !!!!:ROFL:

I wonder if some of your problems are with these things being hand made and the trays would only fit in the boxes they were built for.  Must be frustrating getting a big project like this and having these challenges from the beginning. 

I would like to see pictures of the gold recovered.

Posted (edited)

Well the more I work with these boxes and trays the more I realize that Keene modified the trays and never changed the boxes.I can understand that redoing the molds to the box to accommodate the tray mods would be costly. But the new trays do not fit the boxes..hence I am having a hell of a time with it. They went from  the old black screen to silk screen, than added a foam similar to that stuff you put at the bottom of kitchen shelving, than a plexi-glas sheet to the bottom of the riffles that are screwed and than a separate gray in color matting that goes on top of the box between the tray and box. When you try to slide the recovery box its a huge problem, it don't fit! They should have redone the box to accommodate the new dimension of the tray. This project cost me a lot of money..I was going between the Royal box which would have  cost me around 375.00 a  piece and I choose Keene based on reputation...550.00 per box X 5 plus shipping 3,500! Well now I am really sorry I choose Keene...its seriously;y is not worth the hassle...When I sent a message with pictures to Pat, he never responded. This was a disappointment...anyways live and learn. I may have to just remove the plexiglass, the foam, and extra gray matting so it fits into the box and just slam it in...and go with what I have this season. I don't mean to Bitch about Keene, they have provided the prospector with some great equipment .but this  new moded out tray sucks big time. 

Edited by Relichunter2016

W0W  Very disappointing story/situation for high dollar item. Especially "your" application with multiple units purchased at once.
I hope you can remedy to your satisfaction, even thou I understand you should not have this hold up/problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisski said:

I wonder if some of your problems are with these things being hand made and the trays would only fit in the boxes they were built for.  Must be frustrating getting a big project like this and having these challenges from the beginning. 

I would like to see pictures of the gold recovered.

Hi Chris, I bought the complete new trays with upgraded riffles along with the Keene boxes...I liked the older Keene 151 as the trays were easy to put in and take out for clean ups. Nothing I can do about it now but warn others about it...as far as the gold recovery..here s a pic ..a few of them on top were detected near bedrock  that was exposed. 

drywash.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

I appreciate the pics.

The only experience I have with a Keene 151 was a twenty year old machine, and it was an awesome monster.  I'm sorry to hear about the problems from the new one.  For the 20 year old one I used, the blower needed some maintenance done on it, but after that the thing went through dirt quicker than two of us could feed it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I appreciate the pics.

The only experience I have with a Keene 151 was a twenty year old machine, and it was an awesome monster.  I'm sorry to hear about the problems from the new one.  For the 20 year old one I used, the blower needed some maintenance done on it, but after that the thing went through dirt quicker than two of us could feed it.

I still have my 151 from 28 years ago...with brigs motor blower. Works great.....I have also used the Royal king drywasher....very nice..but the only thing I don't care for is that you cannot remove the riffle tray completely out like the Keene. That was the decisive factor in going with the new Keene 151s riffles and boxes.  

Dude I wish you would of posted your question about the new 151s before you purchased.. Or you may have and I just missed it. As a highly experienced drywasher with many pounds of gold recovered with the the gray box 151 ( model before 151s) it was a incredibly reliable and high recovery machine with an average of 90% recovery. I currently own three 151 boxes due to there higher recovery over all other drywashers. Keene was making them right as all 3 machines are about the same when it comes to recovery. It should also be mentioned I do not pre classify ever as it's a huge waist of time, there is a screen on a drywasher for a reason. Now when the 151s came out I was able to use one in the field... The biggest problem for me was the new 151s was loosing high amounts of gold to my tailings as well as the tray not fitting and spilling all over the place. I tried every secret I knew to help recovery and was very disappointed in Keene trying to reinvent the wheel on something that was working so well. I feel like they made it all complex so people would think it was better and spend the extra $... that was not the case as it is junk in my professional opinion. It may be possible I just got a bad 151s box. But seeing how you have 5 trays with problems I'm leaning that 151s is a bust.

Here's an option. Send your 5 crap trays back to them and have them send you 5 trays from the original design. And send 5 original design fans with adjustable weights. The 151s had a new fan and weight system in the one I used and I didn't care for it as I couldn't change the weight counter balance.

• Like 5

The more I work on these trays the more I found  that could have been done better. I have been using a 3 " disc grinder to grind away at spots where it sticks. I have also found that the screws they use to hold the new and improved :laught16: Plexiglas below the tray  should be counter sunk  or ground down so it does not stick as it is slide into the box.  I still need to find a proper adhesive binder to secure the silk screen to the aluminum frame. At this point i have it where I can manage placing them in and taking them out without to much of a head ache. But since each tray is now redone to the best fitting box..I have to mark both tray and box with different colored paint to distinguish which tray goes with with the box it belongs to. 

Boulder Dash,

At this point after my mods grinding them and all I don't even want to speak to Keene...I am done with them..and will try to make the best of what I have. But I agree, keene is always trying to  reinvent the wheel..most of the time its inferior the the previous. Anyways, I am posting all this so others thinking of buying the new and improved keene 151s trays think twice...DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY...

how is your recovery % wise?

34 minutes ago, boulder dash said:

how is your recovery % wise?

I complete the 5-bank drywasher last summer and had the opportunity to give it a test run for about 10 hours of loading time with a front end loader. Unfortunately that was the end of my seasons test  as my 11,000 watt generators motor went bad along with a few other modification I had to do to the drywasher , I had to pull out of the area and get my new generator repaired thankfully it was under warranty..and do so more mods. As far as the recovery % its hard to say...but the boxes did recover very fine gold and of course the more coarse pieces also. The area I did the test run was very close to the source so the gold itself is  larger ..if I were to go more downstream I would have recovered more fine gold that has broken down  rather than the large coarse pieces. Hopefully this season I will get  more hours on the drywasher and do more testing to get it dialed in just right. 

There is a easy fix for the tray and that is to grind the back lip on the tray to fit in easy. If you did not receive a reply is probably because, we did not get your message or spam or not sure.  If you had such a frustrating problem you should have attempted to call us. As we are not perfect and not robots, we try our best to serve our customers. We strive to make the best equipment possible and go out of our way to help people. Each tray is fitted to to it's own box. Sometimes if you have any debris embedded on the foam, it does make it difficult to get in position. I tell people to shave the back lip on the tray 1/8 if a inch and it will slide in easy, every time. The better recovery is due the electrostatic charge and the layered board, that make a big difference.  We want everyone to be satisfied with their purchases from our company. We have sold tens of thousands of these boxes all over the world and have had, great success. No other dry washer manufacturer, compares in technology and recovery. The time you spent writing negative comments, would have been better served, talking to us to fix the problems. You can call us anytime and we will help you and work with you to solve any issues.

Sincerely,

Patrick Keene

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Patrick Keene said:

I tell people to shave the back lip on the tray 1/8 if a inch and it will slide in easy, every time

I don`t think that the consumer should have to jerry-rig a brand new product for that price.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Patrick Keene said:

We have sold tens of thousands of these boxes all over the world and have had, great success

The problem is that there is a large learning curve to drywashing. You can not just buy a new unit, and be successful without delay. I would imagine , most of the purchases are new to the hobby and they wont have a complaint because they do not even know there is a problem. The simplicity of the older boxes are much more user friendly.

• Like 3
  • well done 2

" I don`t think that the consumer should have to jerry-rig a brand new product for that price."

That's my whole point of this whole post...I shouldn't have to grind the tray in order for it to fit the box, or find the proper glue for the silk screen after 10 hours of use, or grind the dang screw heads that stick out and get caught on this and that. I don't see it as negative comment but constructive advice for the consumer with dollars in his or her pocket who may find my review helpful. I have bought a bunch of Keene products over a 30 year span...this one I don't care for in particular. The End.

• Like 3

I did remark that the tray is made to fit the particular box. You shouldn't have to grind or modify but is is a good solution to making it fit perfect. One of the issues is that sometime the material (dirt) gets in-between the layer and does have an effect.  I was just trying to fix you problem. 

Sincerely,

Patrick Keene