Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

Found an odd thing

I was out with Dave last Tues. doing some detecting/exploring new ground up around LSD and as im walking over to another wash, the detector screams. I find this thing laying on the surface. I knew exactly what it was as soon as I saw it.  It broke off of something.......any guesses? Like I say, I know what it is. :) Will let ya know in a couple of days if no one figures it out. Oh, and it is made out of titanium.
Tom H.

SAM_2236.JPG

• Hmmmmmm 2

a titanium can opener?

• Haha 1

Tom didn't tell me anything about this as I have been under the weather for a while and haven't gone out hunting with him for a while.  I think that I might know where it came from and why it is Titanium.  I'll let it go on for a while and let others guess a little.  Is it any wonder just why he would recognize it right off?

Old Tom

• Like 2

A piece off an aircraft?  Maybe a Gargonkulator or broken cover for blinker fluid reservoir💪🏼 

Brownie 

It is a cooling fin. Probably to an Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator. Or maybe an oil cooler on an ATV or something?

• Like 1

A comb?😀

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is a cooling fin. Probably to an Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator. Or maybe an oil cooler on an ATV or something?

I agree with Bob. He's right on as usual. It's an algo . . .  :)

• Like 1

a garden hoe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titanium makes me think of aircraft.  I think I've seen something that looks like it.  Anything more would be a pure guess.

Once found a larger caliber round by Jack Ass Flats I suspect may have been from gunnery range.

• Like 1

Google: Titanium heat ex-changer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BMc said:

I agree with Bob. He's right on as usual. It's an algo . . .  :)

Many years ago algos were few and far between. I see algos everywhere these days. :89:

It seems like I have seen those very same fins on some darn thing. It looks really familiar. But I just can't think of what it might be.

They used a lot of titanium stuff on space flight hardware at NASA and there were cooling fins sticking out of all sorts of stuff. That may be what seems familiar. Other than aerospace and aircraft use it might have been on some electronic equipment to dissipate heat. But knowing it is titanium and seeing the slot end in a hole like that I would bet it is a cooling fin of some sort.

It could be an algo from some sort of cosa. Maybe even be a pinche cosa or a chingadero. But it is definitely an algo.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I got algo in my eye one time and had to get it removed. True story.
  • Like 1

It did come from above...most likely from a F-16 s engine. :)

Tom  H.

I would guess it's off a gunners gun or a magazine belt .

Well, what it is...is...called a finger seal. It covers an area between the augmentor (afterburner) and the turkey feathers on a F-16. If you dont have them...The wind will rip the turkey feathers(AKA, external nozzle segments) off. I have changed out a lot of them in my career in the AF. Hated every one. :)  You have to open up about 4 turkey feathers to be able to reach in and undo 4 bolt/nuts to get the finger seal out. The nuts and bolt are just about at finger tips length, yah and your face is mashed against the rear of the turkey feather.  Then re- do it without dropping any nuts or bolts. I would like to meet the engineer that did this and smack him in the head :)  Well, finding it brought back memories :) 

Tom H. 

1.jpg

• Like 8

In the late '50's two jet collided about 3 to five miles SW of LSD ... I've found quite a few titanium pieces in the last 10 years from it...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, TomH said:

It did come from above...most likely from a F-16 s engine. :)

Tom  H.

Wow, you are a smart fellow.  I don't care what Old Tom says about you.  :evil1:  ha .. ha.  

Andyy

Edited by Andyy
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, Andyy said:

Wow, you are a smart fellow.  I don't care what Old Tom says about you.  :evil1:  ha .. ha.  

Andyy

Not smart....just worked on them a lot! :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

But... do you know what the C.N.E.C is?  

Convergent nozzle exhaust control.

28 yrs working F-16s as a crew chief/engine shop/test cell/phase dock....pretty much have torn the whole dang airplane apart and put it together at one time or another. :)
Tom

• well done 1

15 hours ago, Knifemaker84 said:

Finding something like that and being able to recognize it is very cool!!

Now, if I could just identify the other 500 things that ive found and have no clue about or how they got out in the middle of no where.  :)
Tom

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TomH said:

Now, if I could just identify the other 500 things that ive found and have no clue about or how they got out in the middle of no where.  :)
Tom

Post photos of them here and let us experts opine.

10 hours ago, TomH said:

Convergent nozzle exhaust control.

28 yrs working F-16s as a crew chief/engine shop/test cell/phase dock....pretty much have torn the whole dang airplane apart and put it together at one time or another. :)
Tom

I work near Tucson Intl and the office is right under Short Final runway 21/3.  It is such a cool sound hearing those actuators working in windy conditions!!

• Like 1

Thank you for your service Tom

• Like 2