Nugget Shooter Forums
IzNoGood

12v highbanker diy making, need help, ideas, tips

Helloo dear friends and brothers in gold :)

as some of you know my small boy Luka its grow up enough to join me in prospecting adventures, and i realy want to keep him spend time outdoor in nature, as far as posible from video games, internet, instagram and that things. so i am wery happy that gold fever catch him :) so i decide to little money that i have on side for bad days invest to make him some eqvipment.  this little 12v highbanker from Keene give me idea to try to make some similar to this one. i see this work on 12v and its realy good for us becouse its cheaper to run here in Serbia gas its 1,5bucks for one L. WERY EXPENSIVE!

so i got idea to make small highbanker like this, and to buy one solar panel to rechardge our battery while we in field doing highbanking. this baby cost over 500$ + serbian greedy customs and shippment, its go over 1000$ i look to make some similar and to spend max 200$ that its my limit.

I would be very grateful for any tips and ideas what materials to use, what tupe of matting, bars, expanded metal. pls have in mind that here in darn Serbia its no shop to sell any of minning eqwipment, all have to be diy

s1.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I will put up front I have not made one, but did a lot of research into making one before I realized it was cheaper for me to order one, but your prices are much more expensive.

-These can be made with left over steel street signs, by heating with a torch where the bend is going to happen. 

-For aluminum, I seem to remember looking at 5140 aluminum which does not need to be heated, but the tool to bend it put the price above what I could buy it for.

-I was going to put 3/4 inch Expended metal sheeting over some carpet.

Have you considered wood?  I've used dry washers made of wood, and a high banker could be made of wood, wouldn't last forever, but have heard of people making sluices out of wood that lasted the season.  Those sluices got heavy as they got water logged, but worked.

I have made equipment, but chose to use cheap material and it didn't work well: a trommel made of a bucket and chicken wire, and some smaller 1/4" screens, but the wire did not hold up to continued use.  For me, after many experiences like this, I bought my own equipment.  Tooling up to build was expensive.

Edited by chrisski

11 hours ago, IzNoGood said:

Helloo dear friends and brothers in gold :)

as some of you know my small boy Luka its grow up enough to join me in prospecting adventures, and i realy want to keep him spend time outdoor in nature, as far as posible from video games, internet, instagram and that things. so i am wery happy that gold fever catch him :) so i decide to little money that i have on side for bad days invest to make him some eqvipment.  this little 12v highbanker from Keene give me idea to try to make some similar to this one. i see this work on 12v and its realy good for us becouse its cheaper to run here in Serbia gas its 1,5bucks for one L. WERY EXPENSIVE!

so i got idea to make small highbanker like this, and to buy one solar panel to rechardge our battery while we in field doing highbanking. this baby cost over 500$ + serbian greedy customs and shippment, its go over 1000$ i look to make some similar and to spend max 200$ that its my limit.

I would be very grateful for any tips and ideas what materials to use, what tupe of matting, bars, expanded metal. pls have in mind that here in darn Serbia its no shop to sell any of minning eqwipment, all have to be diy

s1.jpg

Welcome back to the forum old friend!!

Luka must be very big now, tell him we say HELLO!

Here's a PDF file on building a highbanker, it is built from aluminum but you could also build it out of wood for much of it, it is 6" wide but you could make it wider and or longer, but it will give you some ideas and a place to start.

http://www.gpex.ca/pdfs/MINI HIGH-BANKER.pdf

Also here is another PDF file on many great informational aspects of a sluice, riffles, etc., there's a lot of information in this file so you may get tired of reading...but it can also help you in designing the sluice of your highbanker and the many things you can use to trap the gold

https://www.hecklerfabrication.com/files/sluice-build-partIII-2.pdf

Here's a link to many YouTube videos of DIY highbankers.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=diy+highbanker+plans&qpvt=diy+highbanker+plans&FORM=VDRE

Thanks a lot, Luka its now 10 years old. hmm i thinking now, its hard job but maybe better to make some sort of small tromel, becouse my streams have a lot of clay, and i am wory abouth how good highbankler gonna release goldf that maybe traped in clay? what you guys thinks from your expirience?

On 5/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, chrisski said:

I will put up front I have not made one, but did a lot of research into making one before I realized it was cheaper for me to order one, but your prices are much more expensi

Have you considered wood?  I've used dry washers made of wood, and a high banker could be made of wood, wouldn't last forever, but have heard of people making sluices out of wood that lasted the season.  Those sluices got heavy as they got water logged, but worked.

I made a highbanker from wood and it worked great. Lasted a long time since I gave it many coats of Thompsons Water Seal. Wish I had a photo of it. Brought a LaTrap sluice and built it around that. Had adjustable legs and box. I'm sure anyone could make one if they had the proper tools.

I made this pile of junk several years ago and it still works good. The cost was low, but if you have a lot of clay...a little trommel would probably be better.

There is a lot on the internet on gold prospecting in Serbia..Ispiranje zlata na reci Pek, prodajna izlozba, Homoljski motivi 2018...is a huge gathering of people who enjoy prospecting in this region. It appears this hobby is gaining a lot of interest in the last 10-20 years in gold producing areas. I found a few clubs...and even a fellow who makes dredges and sells them to local prospectors. Good luck with your project, I am sure you can build one that will surpass the small one in the picture. Good hunting..

Thanks a lot guys. Its not a Pek, Pek have bronze age history of gold prospecting. Even Roman emperor Hadrian have a 50,000 slaves that prospecting gold on Pek for his count.

My small creeks its virgine grownd. There i find half gram-gram in few hours of paning. So i hope there its chanse for good score with highbanker or tromel

• Like 1

Hey guys i need advice? My highbanker going to be 25cm x 100cm 10x40 in inch. With ribbed rubber, carpet mating, expanded metal and hungarian tupe riffles. How many liters or galons per hour i need for proper flow? I look on bilge pump 12v becouse here in Serbia law its not alow gas pumps for prospecting, i dont give darn for their law but 10 year old boy need to use that highbanker, gas pump its heavy for him

1 hour ago, IzNoGood said:

Hey guys i need advice? My highbanker going to be 25cm x 100cm 10x40 in inch. With ribbed rubber, carpet mating, expanded metal and hungarian tupe riffles. How many liters or galons per hour i need for proper flow? I look on bilge pump 12v becouse here in Serbia law its not alow gas pumps for prospecting, i dont give darn for their law but 10 year old boy need to use that highbanker, gas pump its heavy for him

Sloba,

I have a Proline 2" highbanker/dredge combo which I bought used for a good price, it has a 2 1/2 Horse Power gas engine and a 100 GPM (Gallons Per Minute) pump, it has a 10" X 35" sluice, the 10" is the most important measurement for how much water flow you need,  your 40" will just give you 5 more inches to catch gold but you will need the proper amount of water flow to be able to clear rocks from the sluice as well, when using mine as a dredge I run the pump at almost full throttle to achieve proper suction, so that 80 to 100 gallons per minute, when I use it as a highbanker I run it at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle , so that's about around 45 to around 60 gallons per minute, to get the proper flow I would say you will need at least 30 gallons per minute but 40 would be better,  the angle of the sluice also need to be adjustable to get a good flow as well as clearing rock out of the sluice, 30 GPM is going to be hard to get from most bilge pumps but they do make high volume bilge pump but they will cost more, bilge pumps here in the USA are rated at GPH(Gallon Per Hour) so to get 30 gallons per minute you will need at least 1800 gallon per hour, but I would go more if you can, 2400 gallon per hour is 40 gallon per minute. 

When you have the proper amount of water flow and have the angle set just right you should be able to see a V pattern in the water in the sluice when you are running material, once you start adding material the V pattern will get disrupted so set the flow before adding any material and then adjust if needed to keep the sluice cleared of excess material but also check the tailing to make sure you are not losing gold, usually I run my sluice angle at 1 inch drop per foot of sluice length, so for my 35" sluice I run about just under a 3" drop, for your 40" sluice I would set it at 3.33 inch drop to start and see how it does.