Nugget Shooter Forums
NvAuMiner

New to Me Desert Rig

Hi Guys -n- Gals,

Some time ago I mentioned about looking to invest in a prospecting rig, so I thought I would post up what I got!!  Well I finally found what I was looking for without buying a new rig for desert trails.  I picked up a stock '97 Toyota 4Runner Limitted Edition 4x4 w/rear E-locker from the original owner last summer. (never been in a wreck and lived entirely in NV- NO RUST) :-) It's taken a while to go through the whole rig to make sure all is in shape to get me back at the end of the day.  The only thing I paid to replace was the timming belt, belt tensioners and water pump.  Google and Youtube are awesome for Do-It-Yourself'ers.  I managed replacing the rear brakes and brake cylinders, axle seals, on frame fuel filter, all oils with synthetic (engine, F & R diff's T-case) plugs & wires, tranny oil and installed a magnetic in-line filter on tranny line, new radiator and B & M tranny cooler.  I customized the roof rack installation by eliminating the OEM cross bar before I installed a Curt rack.  Seat covers, covered the cracked leather originals, new door speakers, Weather-Tech floor liners and Bug Shield and 2-way communication from a Anytone 6666 radio. Most recently, I installed a complete 3" lift with OME (Old Man Emu) springs, Bilstein shocks, SPC upper control arm, front diff drop, rear pan-hard drop (welded in place) and extended rear brake line.  I removed the back seats and laid down the back, cut plywood to fit covered it with carpet and am able to sleep in the back on extended trips.  I also ordered a front plate winch bumper which is 3 months out.

Took her out for a run yesterday and everything worked as it should.  The ride is awesome and handeled the rough road with ease. I managed to clear the desert floor from some used lead bullets and found a nice sharp rock to puncture my left tear tire in such a way that it is torn beyond repair.  Well I wanted to buy taller tires, but not until I wore out what I had on and wouldn't you know it.... the tire shop didn't have a used tire.  New (taller) tires were ordered. (good thing the bumper is out 3 months, it'll give me time to work OT for a winch since tires took that $$ away).  I removed the OME side step-boards, so rock sliders are down the road a bit.

Be safe out there..

image.png

• Like 6
  • well done 1

Thats a nice looking rig Doug. That will take ya pretty much anywhere you dare to go. Good job on the lift and all of the other work too, it looks sharp bud.

Congratulations on the Toyota 4 Runner,  i have had a good time in my 99' Toyota Tacoma, driving the deserts of AZ and NV i have had the luxury of no flats or brake downs. Sounds like you really did your homework on your rig and i bet it's running great. Now its' time to find out how it runs with a load of gold on board, Happy hunting!  ht :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

Congatulations!! Toyota is definitely hard to beat. I have had two jeep wranglers. While they go anywhere, toyota will get you back and forth many times over. I drive a 2001 trd Tacoma now and I am very happy with brand, also very impressed by the rear lockers ability. 

• Like 1

Sweet Ride, Best of luck with it!!:thumbsupanim

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Thats a nice looking rig Doug. That will take ya pretty much anywhere you dare to go. Good job on the lift and all of the other work too, it looks sharp bud.

Thanks Dan...  If I dare not take the 4Runner, I'll take the Ranger or the 660 Grizz.. Then there's always boot leather LOL

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Congratulations on the Toyota 4 Runner,  i have had a good time in my 99' Toyota Tacoma, driving the deserts of AZ and NV i have had the luxury of no flats or brake downs. Sounds like you really did your homework on your rig and i bet it's running great. Now its' time to find out how it runs with a load of gold on board, Happy hunting!  ht :thumbsupanim

Thanks HT... I did do some homework :reading:because I didn't want to miss anything.  They've been out for so long that all the preventitave maintenance concerns were easy to find -n- fix.. I like how you think!!  I too can't wait to see "how it runs with a load of gold on board".:confused0089[1]:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Knifemaker84 said:

Congatulations!! Toyota is definitely hard to beat. I have had two jeep wranglers. While they go anywhere, toyota will get you back and forth many times over. I drive a 2001 trd Tacoma now and I am very happy with brand, also very impressed by the rear lockers ability. 

Thanks Mr.  Yeah... I checked that the lockers worker or lets say engaged, but I haven't wanted to take it way out until I went through it.  I believe once the 10 ply tires are on... it's time  :thumbsupanim

Edited by NvAuMiner

Took the rig out on my first long trip to Southern Oregon and joined my friend on his turkey hunt.  Reallly impressed on how she ran... Can't  wait till I can't try her out in the desert... if it ever quits raining here.  Took the oppurtunity for a photo on a gas stop. That's Mt Shasta in the background.

IMG_2565.JPG

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

We have had an inordinate amount of rain here in central AZ too. Seems like every time I drag a bunch of tools out...it starts raining. Nice Toyota, it should do well. :thumbsupanim

Edited by ArcticDave
spelling
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, ArcticDave said:

We have had an inordinate amount of rain here in central AZ too. Seems like every time I drag a bunch of tools out...it starts raining. Nice Toyota, it should do well. :thumbsupanim

Still raining here as well. Forecasted for the same on and off rain for the next week as well. ughhh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Still raining here as well. Forecasted for the same on and off rain for the next week as well. ughhh

I'll trade you, here in the SE, they're saying it's going to be up around 100 degrees for the next 7 to 10 days and no rain, it's not suppose to get that hot here until July and August and then only about 10 or so days out of each month, with the humidity we have around here that's a heat index of around 110 to 150 degrees!!

• Sad 1
  • wow 2

We are lucky then! we had a high of 72 degrees here in Morristown today. It should be much hotter...but I'll take this weather as long as it lasts.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I'll trade you, here in the SE, they're saying it's going to be up around 100 degrees for the next 7 to 10 days and no rain, it's not suppose to get that hot here until July and August and then only about 10 or so days out of each month, with the humidity we have around here that's a heat index of around 110 to 150 degrees!!

NO DEAL!!!  That is one thing I can not tollerate is humidity!!!  I'd say... stay dry, but there is no chance of that with me and humidity anyway.  So, at leats try and stay cool.

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Doug we got 6 inches of snow the other day at work. Been raining and snowing every day since last Wednesday. Still another week or so left i heard. Its crazy. 

• Like 1
  • wow 1

3 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

We are lucky then! we had a high of 72 degrees here in Morristown today. It should be much hotter...but I'll take this weather as long as it lasts.

A high of 72....  That's detecting weather I can handle all-day-long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Doug we got 6 inches of snow the other day at work. Been raining and snowing every day since last Wednesday. Still another week or so left i heard. Its crazy. 

I know Dan.. it is crazy.  You know as well as I do, we'll probably see a snow shower or two into June as well.

• Like 1