Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi! I've recently bought a few bunches of small unclassified NWA meteorites from what I believe is a reputable NWA dealer. They seem to be extremely weathered (can't recognize any fusion crust) and all but a few are magnetic. I have filed and polished a window in three of them and non of them have easily recognizable chondrules (though one has a possible slight hint of them) and only one has possible tiny (0.1mm) metal specks. The sanding dust was medium brown and had a somewhat unpleasant smell (sulfuric?) 

I am definitely not an expert but this one seems to have sedimentary layers which would definitely make it terrestrial, or could they be shock veins (black, glassy)? The rock is about 4cm long. It has got different structure from the rest.

IMG_4817-01.jpeg

Polished window on the other side:

IMG_4816-01.jpeg

Macro shot (about 1.5cm wide):

IMG_4806-01.jpeg

Macro shot (like under the microscope - 8mm wide):

IMG_4807-01.jpeg

IMG_4810-01.jpeg

Edited by dsvilko

Thanks for posting this here. I'm curious about this as well and am looking forward to seeing the responses.😉

Doesn't seem to have a single identifiable meteorite mark or characteristic...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

If I haven't bought it from a very reputable and experienced NWA dealer I would also dismissit it right away. I've seen highly weathered meteores that have thin dark weathering fractures but rarely this oriented. The stone is magnetic though. 

I have windowed another stone and this one also shows thin, dark, mostly paralel lines, though it also has a lot of metal flakes and possible hints of chondrules. To me it looks very similar to weathered H5 slices. The stone is about 1in wide. The first photo is while wet.

IMG_4989-01.jpeg

IMG_4986-01.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Foliation pretty much rules out a meteorite. That rock right there is foliated bro. 

If its not been terrestrilized, <new word. "terrestrilized" (been here on earth to long and with weathering absorbed to many earth minerals to not have much scientific value):)
AzNuggetBob

4 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

If its not been terrestrilized, <new word. "terrestrilized" (been here on earth to long and with weathering absorbed to many earth minerals to not have much scientific value):)
AzNuggetBob

Do you mean 'Terrestrialized"?

Hardly a new word. And IMHO that is not a met that has been. But thanks Bob!

10 minutes ago, dsvilko said:

Ok, thanks. And the other one I posted?

Here is a more magnified view of that I believe are chondrules:

IMG_5019-01.jpeg

This one looks like granite to me Mr Dsvilko. Did you buy this one from a dealer? 

Granite, with raw metal flakes? I thought that there was basically no unoxidized iron in earth rocks. This stone was bought from the same dear (Dean Bessy).

Edited by dsvilko
2 hours ago, dsvilko said:

Ok, thanks. And the other one I posted?

Here is a more magnified view of that I believe are chondrules

You have excellent photography skills.

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Do you mean 'Terrestrialized"?

Hardly a new word. And IMHO that is not a met that has been. But thanks Bob!

No B/B I meant terrestrilized or aquatic macrophytes. apparently its a new word and process to you also.  :) I ran into it by accident studying fossilization.
but thanks.
AzNuggetBob

Being a fisherman I am very familiar with macrophytes. Macrophytes are plants like lily pads and bulrushes that grow in and around the water. As far as I can tell "terrestrilized" isn't even a word. What any of that has to do with the foliated rock in the first photograph is anyone's guess.

It is not a terrestrialized meteorite and that is what the discussion was about. That is obviously what you were driving at in your reply to my post and what I was responding to.

Now it seems to be about lily pads. IMHO it is not a lily pad either.:idunno:

14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Being a fisherman I am vary familiar with macrophytes. Macrophytes are plants like lily pads and bulrushes that grow in and around the water. As far as I can tell "terrestrilized" isn't even a word. What any of that has to do with the foliated rock in the first photograph is anyone's guess.

It is not a terrestrialized meteorite and that is what the discussion was about. That is obviously what you were driving at in your reply to my post and what I was responding to.

Now it seems to be about lily pads. IMHO it is not a lily pad either.:idunno:

Hey....If the prez can make up words, why can't his commoners?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Morlock said:

:)Hey....If the prez can make up words, why can't his commoners?

They can if they want to but it won't turn that rock into a lily pad. Not even if 37% of the population swears that it's a lily pad. It will still just be an arrogant, racist old foliated rock.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Cranberries are my favorite macrophytes. IMHO it is not a fossilized cranberry either.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...