Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Haderly

Burro Creek tube agate

Some self collected local tube agates. Found in one small area by my friend and I. 

20190420_180447.jpg

20190420_174231.jpg

20190420_173405.jpg

20190420_173238.jpg

20190420_173324.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice!

Good looking material. Any idea how the tubes formed?  Always wanted to stop by burro creek but never did. Figured after all the years of collecting, most of the good stuff was gone.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, Morlock said:

Good looking material. Any idea how the tubes formed?  Always wanted to stop by burro creek but never did. Figured after all the years of collecting, most of the good stuff was gone.

I've never researched how tube agates formed. I know some are formed like straws (stalagtites) but those don't change direction. The ones here are completely random in direction and constantly change direction. It would be similar to tubes left behind by shipworms but that area is all volcanic so I don't think their formation is biological. Perhaps they are Helictites but that is a pure guess.

As for the good material being gone, it mostly is in the areas where everyone goes. If you are willing to walk and drive into the more remote areas, you can still find good material. Most people go to the proven areas and don't venture any further so there is still plenty of untouched areas.