Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mariposagoldbag

Rich Hill Hot Rocks - GPX5000 - Coil?

Hello, can any of you recommend a good coil for the Rich Hill area?  I have a smaller nugget finder coil and had to listen to every single hot rock.  Also, what soil setting would you guys use with the gpx5000 where there are tons of hot rocks?  I was just recent out on the road runner claims out there, have any of y’all had any luck on their claims?  Thanks!

A DD can help allot in these cases like the 11 inch round, but some rocks like the grey Basalt are gonna sing much of the time as will others....

• Like 2

When there are a lot of hotrocks, i keep mine in Fine Gold timing. We have a lot of basalt here where i hunt, and generally it works pretty good. Every now and then i will pick up one that is just super hot so obviously i check it out then toss it. But Fine Gold really cuts out about 90 percent of them, making for nice quiet detecting. And i am able to run my 15 inch mono.

• Like 2

Thanks y’all... I was mainly running in fine gold but realized I was loosing a lot of depth.  Maybe a bigger coil in fine gold could be an option.  I’ll definitely bring my 11” double d along next time as well!  

Hey Bill, any tips on which setting to use with the double D out there?  I can’t believe i only live about an hour away from rich hill now.  I’ve been wanting to hit that place since I was about 11, now 39...too bad I’m so late to the game!!!  Hopefully all those hot rocks has discouraged some people and there is still something left for me.  Any tips on the area would be very helpful as well.  I don’t know if I should focus on the washes or hill sides?  Thanks for your time!

You will just have to try and see what is best, there is allot of depth loss running in "fine gold" as it is made to sniff out small and shallow targets so I would try good old normal timing with a DD

• Like 4

Hey Bill, how much depth do you think is lost in Fine Gold? Thats just my main setting because the other ones seem to be really noisy where i hunt. I guess i always keep that chart Minelab put out in the back of my mind. I wonder how many species i am walking over just running in Fine Gold.

minelab-timing-example.jpg.6a785c847cbc371ae67633bd3898c44a.jpg

That is very much dependent on soil conditions as displayed in the chart, but it pays to get out of the "fine gold" timings if you are using larger coils and wanting to gain depth.

• Thanks 1

I hunt in fine gold 100 % everytime and still get good depth :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

That is very much dependent on soil conditions as displayed in the chart, but it pays to get out of the "fine gold" timings if you are using larger coils and wanting to gain depth.

Thanks Bill, ill play around with Normal and see if i get better results. 

• Like 1

When experimenting you will have a bit of an eye opener about the differences between timings and resulting depth differences especially with medium to larger coils on large targets. When I was testing this detector for Minelab before it's release we worked many hours with different coils and timings regarding target size and depth.... If you can find a natural deep non ferrous sounding target that is faint adjust your detector and listen to the target in different timings to get the best results. You can bury one on the edge of hearing it with the "fine gold" timings then try different timings and coils. Learning your machine completely is the key to finding toe deeper and missed nuggets.  Minelab DID NOT and these timings and settings for no reason and learning them is the key as said.

• Like 7

Hey everybody I went back out to Rich Hill with the DD coil and it worked great, yet no gold!  Thanks for the tip Bill!  

Off topic but do any of y’all know what kind of spider this is?  Was in our bedroom last night.  Bill I know you know a lot about the plant life out here thought you might know what this is?

1BCB1023-F5E4-46E9-B541-7793F409AFBD.jpeg

6 hours ago, mariposagoldbag said:

Hey everybody I went back out to Rich Hill with the DD coil and it worked great, yet no gold!  Thanks for the tip Bill!  

Off topic but do any of y’all know what kind of spider this is?  Was in our bedroom last night.  Bill I know you know a lot about the plant life out here thought you might know what this is?

1BCB1023-F5E4-46E9-B541-7793F409AFBD.jpeg

MGB,

That's a "Woodlouse Hunter" scientific name is "Dysdera Crocata".

You can read a bit about this spider and a few more photos at the link below.

https://spiderid.com/spider/dysderidae/dysdera/crocata/

Featured spider picture

• Like 1

thanks AU Seeker!

• Like 1

Yep Skip nailed it and they are not out to get ya, but make a messy web in corners and dark places