Nugget Shooter Forums

Determining The % Of Gold Content In Electrum

Morlock

How does one determine the % of gold in electrum? I have a specimen of electrum that defies attempts to streak for acid testing. The electrum is finely interspersed throughout the matrix.

• Like 1

I think that would have to be sent off to an assay lab. Thats a good question. 

Dan, I'm hoping that's my last resort. I'd like to to somehow check for gold % without damaging the specimen. I'm going to take it to a manufacturing jeweler down the street in a couple weeks to get their opinion.

In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to know what they are.

No i mean with a XRF analyzer. I know the assay labs here have them but not sure if they would in your area. Pretty sure the XRF would do it. I could be wrong though. 

Would a xrf  zero in on the electrum by itself? Or would it anaylize the specimen as a whole which means the calcite as well? I have very little knowledge of xrf.

It will do the whole specimen, then should tell you the percentage of everything. I thought one of the fellers here was telling me about it. Worth looking into i think.

The XRF only tells you the elements in the little spot the laser hits. Not on the entire specimen. 

XRF gives percentages of a HOMOGENOUS MATERIAL. If the material is not homogenous then the values can be really skewed. 

You could hit several places and draw some broad conclusions.

Microscopy and GC/MS is how they determine exactly what is what and how much. Take it to any materials analytics lab and they can point you in the right direction. A University, a construction/engineering outfit or a remediation contractor always has access to labs that can tell you exactly what you have.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The XRF only tells you the elements in the little spot the laser hits. Not on the entire specimen. 

XRF gives percentages of a HOMOGENOUS MATERIAL. If the material is not homogenous then the values can be really skewed. 

You could hit several places and draw some broad conclusions.

Microscopy and GC/MS is how they determine exactly what is what and how much. Take it to any materials analytics lab and they can point you in the right direction. A University, a construction/engineering outfit or a remediation contractor always has access to labs that can tell you exactly what you have.

You're right but it would probably cost more then the specimen itself. I did contact a lab that does material analytics just to see what they have to say.

• Like 1