Nugget Shooter Forums
nugget108

14 inch goldbug coil

Hello all, hope your enjoying the weather and are able to get out chasing some nugs. I have a question for the old time GoldBug2 owner's about the 14 inch coil. I just picked up another one for my son since my dad has the one we had. We have never really used it but did notice they are hard to keep balanced when i have used it. I picked it up cheap and my boy will use it in our spot up here for the deeper specimen gold. How have you guys done with it? Success, depth, that kind of stuff. Thanks everybody. 

Dan

Sold mine 25 years ago because I never used it....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Hello all, hope your enjoying the weather and are able to get out chasing some nugs. I have a question for the old time GoldBug2 owner's about the 14 inch coil. I just picked up another one for my son since my dad has the one we had. We have never really used it but did notice they are hard to keep balanced when i have used it. I picked it up cheap and my boy will use it in our spot up here for the deeper specimen gold. How have you guys done with it? Success, depth, that kind of stuff. Thanks everybody. 

Dan

Dan I'm not sure about the gold bug 2 because I haven't run  a 14" on my 2's but I found more gold with a 14 coil on my gold bug 1 than with any other coil on a VLF. deeper ones too.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

I should say the 2's are a little more hyper running at a higher frequency. so I'm not so sure how that's going to work out?

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Last time i used one on the 2 was probably 20 years ago. It worked but was just erratic and being pretty new at the time, i wasn't sure if we were setting it up right.

Thanks Bob.

All of my success finding nuggets with the GB2 and small gold was with the 3x6 coil. I had all the sizes coils made for the machine,  but sold the rest off after repeatedly testing each,  with the smallest coil you can also track small gold in quartz veins.  Its been the same for all my buddies with the GB2 over the yrs as well.

• Like 1

I agree 100 percent. My favorite coil is the 6 inch too but wanted to try the bigger one for depth.

I found my largest 2.36 oz specimen with the 14" coil at about 6". It took some time but as with all VLF machines it is about listening to the sounds. A dullish rounded sound is most likely an ironstone a sharp ZIP Zip is trash, lead or Gold! If you swing a gold bug 2 you get used to the noise but being attuned to the different sounds will net gold. The big coil will hear the same thing the small coil hears and cover more ground. Low and slow cover the same ground with continuous short swings let the detector adjust to what's under the coil constantly moving it. 

• Like 1

Dan the 2's are much better at smaller gold shallow with a smaller coil. because of the higher frequency and less surface area they are covering at one time. being a VLF they are more sensitive to black sands. so if the coil covers more area they are going to be more erratic in a creek or wash. but if lets say your hillside hunting it may be to your advantage for depth with a larger coil.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

Thats what all our hunting here is, hillsides mainly. He can try it and play around with it. If it works cool, if not, it was 40 bucks. Maybe it will give him a little more depth and open up some more opportunities for him. Thanks everyone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Thats what all our hunting here is, hillsides mainly. He can try it and play around with it. If it works cool, if not, it was 40 bucks. Maybe it will give him a little more depth and open up some more opportunities for him. Thanks everyone. 

The 14" GB-2 coil was a favorite of many patch hunters in the '90's for the obvious advantage in covering more ground, faster. It was fairly common for some guys to jog along swinging that big coil and a few did pretty well it, heavy as it was. I used one for awhile in that open flat sage brush area of Northern NV, and never had any problems with it but as a day to day coil, I stayed with the 10'' elliptical, and kept the larger coil to go over ground where more shallow gold had already been found. Well worth having IMO, and certainly a bargain for the price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Dan I like your hunting style.I don't have time to wait for them to make it to the creek. I track them to their source.  :)
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And about 80% of the time the gold is not coming from a gouged out vein in a creek but rather its eroding down a hillside.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

When using the largest coil (14) it sees the most ground at once so careful balancing, and adjustment of threshold and gain crucial to getting clear deep signals.
Depending on soil/bedrock conditions you may most likely run with reduced gain to allow for smooth operation and will produce deeper signals for you.
Hapy Huntn.  :black_knight_standing:

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, AzNuggetBob said:

And about 80% of the time the gold is not coming from a gouged out vein in a creek but rather its eroding down a hillside.

AzNuggetBob

Not that this is the topic, but I do notice that every year I hunt, I am spending more and more time on the hillsides.  I seem to go a little longer without finding things, sometimes, but when I do, the patches are more epic than in the washes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

Not that this is the topic, but I do notice that every year I hunt, I am spending more and more time on the hillsides.  I seem to go a little longer without finding things, sometimes, but when I do, the patches are more epic than in the washes.

Most of the time there is less trash too. I find myself throwing my test nugget down more on the hillsides just to see if the machine is still working haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, nugget108 said:

Most of the time there is less trash too. I find myself throwing my test nugget down more on the hillsides just to see if the machine is still working haha.

That's just one of the upsides.

AzNuggetbob

• Like 2