Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Relichunter2016

Casings as gold pokes?

Not sure if its true but I heard that some gold rush era prospectors would use bullet casings to keep their gold in. They would use a larger casing and use a smaller casing that fits into the larger one. Found this one today..kind of a cool artificial. This is the second one I have found in the last 10 years... 

bullet gold poke.jpg

• Like 3

The old timers indeed use old cartridges to store stuff in, even gold, I know a guy that found one similar to the one in your photo that had old matches in it, I have also seen posted years ago on other forums by at least two different gold detectorists who gold found in a old cartridge, both of these were old cartridges that had been smashed close after the gold was put into them.

Have you tried to open them up to see if anything is inside?

• Like 2

I also have heard this. I always examine bullet casings for this reason. I have heard tales that a miner only stored his finds in casings and buried them for safety.  Upon his departure he was "missing a few" it is unlikely that he buried everything together. This is a word of mouth tale told to me by someone close. Im unsure of the exact location. In any event finding bullet casings made into a container is interesting. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

The old timers indeed use old cartridges to store stuff in, even gold, I know a guy that found one similar to the one in your photo that had old matches in it, I have also seen posted years ago on other forums by at least two different gold detectorists who gold found in a old cartridge, both of these were old cartridges that had been smashed close after the gold was put into them.

Have you tried to open them up to see if anything is inside?

I have not tried opening it up as of yet because it feels empty..nothing clinking inside and it feels light...I have also found old cartridges crimped at the very top ..but as of yet nothing inside. May just open it tonight..and take a looksie. I posted this just so in case anyone finds something similar..to pay attention as it may contain gold.  

AuSeeker...yup found a few crimped also ...will open tonight and take a gander inside.

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 1

This is the standard poke for a rifleman. A 30-06 case cut just below the shoulder and a 45 ACP case slipped over the top for a cap. They taper fit perfectly and make a water tight seal. Lots of old timers used these for vials. They still do.

DSCN0601.JPG

I have found a couple of old rifle cases used for a stash. One with a crushed neck and one exactly like what you see above. 

Any case built from the 30-06 case will work great. You can cut a .243, .270, .308, '06 or any other cartridge built on this case. A 45 case will slide over and the inside taper will seal over the mouth of the '06 case perfectly. If you give it a good tap it will stick so tight it takes pliers to pull them apart. The 30-06 or the .270 will give you the longest container but a .243 or .308 is a nice size.

Guys used these brass containers for all sorts of things. I use them for speedloaders with the blackpowder pistol. I keep my emergency rifle cleaning kit in one. And I always carry one for a poke when I am detecting. 

• Like 5

Found one of these at a school years ago.  That one had a white substance inside.  

I've made these and used them before.  And yes they make EXCELLENT Speed Loaders. 

• Like 2

I remember one time Ron Driscol found one with gold in it. It had a little cork wrapped with a little piece of linen
stuffed in it, and a couple of grams of gold in it too.you can probably find a photo of it on the net of it if you look around. I have a photo of it if I can find it.
I'll never forget that day. If I remember correctly his was a 45 colt long shell.
ever since I've been checking mine. most have the ends bit shut that I find. but when you hear a rattle you got to cut them open.but so far, no luck. just dirt. 
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Over the years Ive found about 6 or so casings that were crimped at the ends and when shook you could hear something inside them Butttttttttttt I havent been lucky enough to find gold in one yet all of them had dirt inside:idunno:-I always wondered how did the dirt get in there when the end is bent over :tisk-tisk:Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

I was told that the reason the soldiers would pinch their spent casings was so that they could not be reloaded is there any truth to that?

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

12 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

I was told that the reason the soldiers would pinch their spent casings was so that they could not be reloaded is there any truth to that?

Did soldiers pinch their spent casings? 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

As I figured mine was empty...😞🤣😂🤣

A cool find anyway! IMHO at least as good as a few bucks worth of gold that might have been in it. 

What types of cases are they? Looks like an old 45-70 rifle case with a 44-40 round for a cap? Internally primed or Berdan primed? 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I changed my mind about what case I thought it was.

Bob,  the markings on the cartridges were smooth and worn. It had no markings at all. Would have been nice to i.d. the make and dates manufactured. But I found other relics dating from 1840s to the late 1850s. The 2 cartridges were fused and broke apart rather than sliding off. But they were center fire..so not sure when the first center fire ammo was made.

They started making internally primed centrefire cases back in the early 1800's but Berdan and Boxer centerfire priming systems came to market about 1870. Back in the day it was the 45-70 "Government" with the bottlenecked case like yours. And it probably would not even be head stamped at all.

The old trapdoor Springfield was developed for that round in 1873 and it was super popular in the 1886 Winchester lever action rifle. They even gave these rifles to the "Indians" to use on the reservation (but they had to pinch the necks of all their empty brass).:)

The 44-40 was also introduced in 1873 and was the cartridge used in the legendary Winchester 1873 lever action rifle. So neither of the rounds could be older than 1873. 

Here is an old opinionated buzzard playing with a 45-70 in the Winchester 1886 repeater...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

They started making internally primed centrefire cases back in the early 1800's but Berdan and Boxer centerfire priming systems came to market about 1870. Back in the day it was the 45-70 "Government" with the bottlenecked case like yours. And it probably would not even be head stamped at all.

The old trapdoor Springfield was developed for that round in 1873 and it was super popular in the 1886 Winchester lever action rifle. They even gave these rifles to the "Indians" to use on the reservation (but they had to pinch the necks of all their empty brass).:)

The 44-40 was also introduced in 1873 and was the cartridge used in the legendary Winchester 1873 lever action rifle. So neither of the rounds could be older than 1873. 

Here is an old opinionated buzzard playing with a 45-70 in the Winchester 1886 repeater...

Oh Wow Bob, I love this guy I used to watch his videos a few years back but got sidetracked onto something else, I need to now check out what all he has posted since the last time I watched one of his videos!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Oh Wow Bob, I love this guy I used to watch his videos a few years back but got sidetracked onto something else, I need to now check out what all he has posted since the last time I watched one of his videos!!

He has a lot of fun and a really nice range. I don't watch him very often but he is a big hoot. 

I like his "plinking" style. He shoots at various size objects at various ranges. He mixes up targets that destroy with permanent targets. He likes to go crazy on big heavy targets with multiple shots. You really get to see what a round does downrange when you see how it reacts to all the chaos on his range. And you get to see how a bunch of weapons react to being shot to the max.

If you haven't seen it watch his Glock endurance videos. He just shoots the crap out of them using dozens of clips shooting as fast as he can. Just hammering targets and breaking stuff all to heck. Red hot smoking barrels with every type of ammo known to man. A whole bucket of clips in a few short minutes with every model and variant of Glock handgun.

It makes your ears ring and your fingers smell like powder just watching the guy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

He has a lot of fun and a really nice range. I don't watch him very often but he is a big hoot. 

I like his "plinking" style. He shoots at various size objects at various ranges. He mixes up targets that destroy with permanent targets. He likes to go crazy on big heavy targets with multiple shots. You really get to see what a round does downrange when you see how it reacts to all the chaos on his range. And you get to see how a bunch of weapons react to being shot to the max.

If you haven't seen it watch his Glock endurance videos. He just shoots the crap out of them using dozens of clips shooting as fast as he can. Just hammering targets and breaking stuff all to heck. Red hot smoking barrels with every type of ammo known to man. A whole bucket of clips in a few short minutes with every model and variant of Glock handgun.

It makes your ears ring and your fingers smell like powder just watching the guy.

Yeah I love his shooting range, I do believe it's in his back yard, when he dies they can dig up all the bullets, must be millions of them and then used the lead to cast a statue of him with a gun blazing in each hand!!