Nugget Shooter Forums
DOC

Need Your Advice and Input

As you know I started making available through Bill and other dealers after-market Ferrite rings.  Most people including myself get a little frustrated when they break because they are so brittle.  So first thought was to put them on a plastic luggage tag lanyard attached to a plastic snap to keep them handy, and not banging around in my pocket against change and the like that might break it.

So then I wondered about what would happen if I used some of that liquid rubber to give them protection against bumps.  Well it takes two coats to give them a good coat.  It works really well to keep the ferrite ring intact.  I actually threw it on the ground about 20 times with no ill-effects, however it doesn't look very good.

So is it actually worth it for prospectors to coat these ferrite rings to protect them or not?  They don't look very pretty but it does protect them.

Doc

Doc20190408_145515.jpg

• Like 2

Personally looks wouldn't matter to me. Especially for something like that. Would the extra thickness of material affect how it works though? Just wondering. As far as looks go, it wouldn't bother me any.

Posted (edited)

Doc I thought about a clear epoxy coat, but I think rubber tool handle coat is a better idea. why dont you try both and smack it around and see how it goes.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Looks would not matter to me at all 

Doc,

Rubber coating is better than buying a new one every couple months... , but then again, they probably give a little bit of profit per sale to the sellers...

Dave

I like the rubber coating on those teething rings! :inocent: Sorry that shape just reminded me of an old fashion teething ring ... not one of those more 'modern' binkies! :old:

• Like 1

I have wrapped my ferrite ring in a couple of layers of small bubble wrap.

I just toss it on the ground, tune the 7000 and put it back in my belt pouch.

I have never come close to breaking it.

Looks do matter to me. Wouldnt want to be seen with that yellow thing.  I need it to be in Desert digital camo so it will match my pants, shirt, boots, knee pads, control box cover, scoop, and my face paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • wow 2

39 minutes ago, adam said:

Looks do matter to me. Wouldnt want to be seen with that yellow thing.  I need it to be in Desert digital camo so it will match my pants, shirt, boots, knee pads, control box cover, scoop, and my face paint.

So, if you were wearing one of those matching Camo rubber coated things, they couldn't see you coming?  :)

Looks good Doc and better than breaking them eh?

• Like 1

I have mine wrapped in string, something like a macrame cord and then you can cut it to your length but I always keep it in a pouch in the Minelab pouch.  I've never broken one but I have found a ferrite ring at Gold Basin so I have two!

Good idea Doc. Looks better than duct tape :head:

ferrite_polarr_1.jpg

Thank you for all the input.  Obviously this is an issue which many have dealt with.  The solutions are varied, but all to the same end.  I think I will send one to Dolan Dave just because his broke first thing out of the box, and also because his last order was a bit delayed so I owe him.

Adam, Really?  Do you know how long it will take me to hand paint those?  LOL.  First time you throw it on the ground it will disappear.

Doc

• Haha 3

On 4/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, mn90403 said:

but I have found a ferrite ring at Gold Basin so I have two!

Funny that you say that I lost one up there the first year I had my GPZ 7000 ... probably about 4 years ago now when they first came out. 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:14 PM, DOC said:

Thank you for all the input.  Obviously this is an issue which many have dealt with.  The solutions are varied, but all to the same end.  I think I will send one to Dolan Dave just because his broke first thing out of the box, and also because his last order was a bit delayed so I owe him.

Adam, Really?  Do you know how long it will take me to hand paint those?  LOL.  First time you throw it on the ground it will disappear.

Doc

DAVE!!!

Your FREE Coated "O" ferrite ring is available for pick up.  You are now an official Doc's Field Tester.  :ROFL:

Doc

Your item arrived at the MEADVIEW, AZ 86444 post office at 3:16 pm on April 11, 2019 and is ready for pickup.

Status

Available for Pickup

April 11, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Available for Pickup

MEADVIEW, AZ 86444 

• Like 1

I just enclose mine an a plastic baggie and keep it in my tee-shirt pocket.  Never had a problem with it.  However, I like the idea of a highly visible yellow color in case a person forgets to pick the ring back up and needs to retrace his steps to find it.