Nugget Shooter Forums

The only question is an H4- or H5

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

The only question is an H4- or H5

AzNuggetBob

It really jumped onto the magnate. I am about 99% sure it is an H, 1% hoping it is a piece of the mesosiderite that Ruben Garcia found out there.

Strapped It is a nice find, I've found both a H4 and an H5 there. looking at yours, I think yours is larger than both of mine.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

http://www.meteorite-list-archives.com/2005/mar/0972.html

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Strapped said:

Bob,

Back in the mid 2000s, when the playa was hunted a lot more, were you guys pretty successful in finding meteorites out there? 

Those are pretty rare, I guess we missed one. :) we drove around idling in my 4x in first gear round and round just looking and holding out a magnet stick. beer in one hand magnet stick in the other, had a blast. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1
  • well done 1

Strapped as I'm sure you know the area is or was covered in 50 cal.machine gun rounds. especially out toward the middle of the playa. It was used for a military aircraft gunnery target range years ago. so a metal detector is pretty much out of the question. that's why we just used magnet sticks.as we drove around we picked up any suspicious stones as well. 
I ended up with lots of stones on the floorboard of my truck. but when I picked up WP003 I knew that it was different than all the other stones. 
when I got home I ground and polished a small window on the side of it and got real excited. but it wasn't until I got a call from Arizona State University Center for Meteorite Studies that I knew for sure that it was an H5-6. they asked permission to take and keep a small slice from the stone. You may want to contact them on your stone.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
spelling
  • Like 1

Eric,

Congrats on a nice find.....

Dave

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Strapped as I'm sure you know the area is or was covered in 50 cal.machine gun rounds. especially out toward the middle of the playa. It was used for a military aircraft gunnery target range years ago. so a metal detector is pretty much out of the question. that's why we just used magnet sticks.as we drove around we picked up any suspicious stones as well. 
I ended up with lots of stones on the floorboard of my truck. but when I picked up WP003 I knew that it was different than all the other stones. 
when I got home I ground and polished a small window on the side of it and got real excited. but it wasn't until I got a call from Arizona State University Center for Meteorite Studies that I knew for sure that it was an H5-6. they asked permission to take and keep a small slice from the stone. You may want to contact them on your stone.

AzNuggetBob

Bob,

The .50 cal rounds are still there! I thought that the ones that appeared to be blown up from the back of the bullet were interesting, I figured they must be tracers. I actually grabbed a few. I was driving around on my ATV looking for rocks. I saw one in the distance and drove to it and then got off the ATV to check it with my magnate stick. No luck, but about 4 feet away from the rock I had spotted I saw the meteorite flush with the ground. I would not have seen it if it were not close to that earth rock.

I texted Bob Verish to get his thoughts on trying to get it classified. He responded but he sounds pretty busy. I live real close to ASU so I will probably take it with me next time I go there for an event. I'll see if I can get DR. Garvie interested. After speaking with him a few weeks ago it sounded as if classifying meteorites was not his favorite thing to do.

20190406_155804.jpg

• Like 1

Strapped classification for the public isn't really their thing. they are really more into studying fresh new falls.
and as you can imagine after years of people bringing them boxes of rocks. if you know what I mean.
and there is always those few that can't accept no for an answer.
You can always take it to some of the rock and gem shows. there is always a lot of knowledgeable people there too.
you may able to work something out with them to cut a small window in it for you too.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Yo Strapped, do you have a favorite alcohol you use for cleaning, or...??

Swamp

I used Budweiser.

• Haha 3
  • well done 1
2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Yo Strapped, do you have a favorite alcohol you use for cleaning, or...??

Swamp

Sometimes I use 90% isopropyl alcohol but the dried Willcox Playa mud came right off with some distilled water.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Strapped said:

Sometimes I use 90% isopropyl alcohol but the dried Willcox Playa mud came right off with some distilled water.

Thanks Strapped..

However, I need to defer to Mike Stang or one of the others about this, since my knowledge re meteorites is somewhere below noob.. It's always been my understanding though to not use water when cleaning meteorites; high grade as-pure-as-possible alcohol is the way to go..

Mike or someone, the reasoning please? Thanks..

Swamp

3 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Thanks Strapped..

However, I need to defer to Mike Stang or one of the others about this, since my knowledge re meteorites is somewhere below noob.. It's always been my understanding though to not use water when cleaning meteorites; high grade as-pure-as-possible alcohol is the way to go..

Mike or someone, the reasoning please? Thanks..

Swamp

Swamp, 

I agree that Mike is the expert. But, when you consider these chondrite meteorites have been out in the elements for hundreds if not thousands of years one more time getting wet briefly with distilled water shouldn't hurt them. If there is some persistent dirt I am having trouble removing then I use the isopropyl alcohol and let the rocks soak for a while.

• Like 4

I agree, I don't remember what I cleaned mine with but it really doesn't matter. that meteorite even if it is a H5-6. 
from that fall site.It has already been classified, tested and cataloged.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Strapped don't get me wrong. It is a very nice find. If you ever want to part with it, just let me know. but your going to have to cut a window in it first.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob